Dana 44 gear oil capacity - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Dana 44 gear oil capacity

TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGJK Vent Covers - NalinMFGAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 01-21-2009, 12:54 PM   #1
Vegas4x4
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Dana 44 gear oil capacity

Hi, I have a '05 Rubicon, with the lockers, Dana 44 differentials. I just changed my gear oil in the front and the fluid capacities I've seen posted says 4 pints (2 quarts), but that much won't fit in. At about a 1.3 qts it starts flowing out the fill hole. I tried driving around in circle 8's, then checked the level again but still full. Is this something I should be worried about?

Thanks,

Andy

Vegas4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2009, 01:37 PM   #2
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

First Andy, a big welcome to JF. Second, you do have to buy 2 quarts but it only holds about 1.3 quarts as you already found. Make sure not to overtighten the fill plug as overtightening it can position it in too far which can jam the locker mechanism.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2009, 02:14 PM   #3
Vegas4x4
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Wow, quick response! Thanks!!

Well, that explains why I can't get any more oil in there then. But I'm perplexed why they would print the capacity at 2 qts, if 2 qts won't fit?? But I'm happy to find that I'm not driving it around if I did something wrong. It was my first differential lube change, so was a little concerned.

Anyway, thanks for the help!

Andy
Vegas4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2009, 02:20 PM   #4
TimBrown
2004 TJ Wrangler 

2 quarts for a Dana 44 without a locker, it is probably generic printing for the 44
TimBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2009, 02:49 PM   #5
NJHCx4xLIFE
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
Make sure not to overtighten the fill plug as overtightening it can position it in too far which can jam the locker mechanism.
Great advice that will save him from a very costly mistake.
NJHCx4xLIFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2009, 04:51 PM   #6
roadbosstx
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Not to steal the thunder here, but to make sure.... Most of you guys recommend Royal Purple Synthetic 75-140 and there is no need for any additives in a Rubi D44, right? Secondly, I wasn't planning on using a gasket, just silicone, so I need to also be careful so as not to 'seat' the fill plug in too far, right? Or do you have to use a gasket on a Rubi D44 to have extra clearance?
Thanks
roadbosstx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2009, 05:04 PM   #7
97casteeltj
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadbosstx View Post
Not to steal the thunder here, but to make sure.... Most of you guys recommend Royal Purple Synthetic 75-140 and there is no need for any additives in a Rubi D44, right? Secondly, I wasn't planning on using a gasket, just silicone, so I need to also be careful so as not to 'seat' the fill plug in too far, right? Or do you have to use a gasket on a Rubi D44 to have extra clearance?
Thanks
in the Rubi D44s it is recommended to have 75-140 synthetic (whether its royal purple or not is up to you) b/c its better for the LS and the lockers, also when i change my fluids i use some RTV, i like it better than the gaskets and i can apply it how i feel it needs, also yes don't over tighten the fill plugs on the rubi d44s b/c like Jerry already mentioned it can interfere with the locker, what i've done is wrap the plug with teflon tape and just tighten it down enough past finger tight and it holds fine and no leaks.

-John
Unread 01-21-2009, 09:39 PM   #8
roadbosstx
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Great. Thank you 97casteeltj!
roadbosstx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2009, 11:30 AM   #9
Mud-Hunter
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Sorry to bring this back...
So I have a bag full of 80-90 in the Rubicon to change out the fluid. Should I return it for the 75-140 or am I ok?
Also went to 4 stores for the APP985s and had to get them ordered and will change out this weekend. I could swap fluid when I go to pick up the plugs if that is what is advised. Thanks and I only want the best for my baby.

Last edited by Mud-Hunter; 12-03-2009 at 08:29 AM.. Reason: HELP!
Mud-Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2009, 08:31 AM   #10
Mud-Hunter
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Hello ello ello lo oooo...
Quiet in here.
So I went back and returned the 80-90 for the 75-140 and Whoa I had no idea the difference. I got the 80-90 for $23 out the door and I bought Mobil1 75-140 for $83 out the door. Quite a shock but the guy said "think of it as a new rear end with this stuff". So does it make that much difference? I want to go home and change it out tonight but wondered if since I bought the good stuff I shouldn't go all the way and remove the covers rather than just draining and refilling? 60k miles and no clue what has been done to it? Don't have time to buy Lubelockers and don't know what RTV costs as my excursion cost me about $200 yesterday as I bought a drain pan and funnel and 7 APP985s and random things for the garage. Is it a must do or can I get away with draining and refilling IF all looks good in the old fluid i.e. no metal shavings?
Also moved what I thought was a wood burning stove that ended up being a gas stove of old into the garage last night. Just cleared it out and it now is a wood burning one. 8) It will work and we boarded up all the windows and cracks and it seemed to heat up the garage fairly well but will have to get another heater for the back of the garage to balance it out. I also need lots of lights and a good creeper! Want to do this tonight as my APP985s will be in tomorrow as no one had them in stock and had to order. THANKS!
Unread 12-03-2009, 08:50 AM   #11
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mud-Hunter View Post
Hello ello ello lo oooo...
Quiet in here...
Its quiet because you are in a thread that is 1 year old. I think everyone left.
Wheelin98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2009, 09:04 AM   #12
Mud-Hunter
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Agreed but didn't want to make another and not sure what to do as I'm a lowly newbie but learning very quickly!
Just did a search and found this one that is the same as my rubi an 05. I learned real quick that search is my friend but also learned old threads RIP.
Thanks!
I'm also VERY scared about the over tightening thing? How do I know it is in enough but not too far? (that's what she said")
Just look at where it sits prior and try and match it upon refill?
Unread 12-03-2009, 09:43 AM   #13
-dirt-
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I use black Permatex RTV, and it seems to work just fine. Give it a few bit to setup before you torque down the cover bolts and fill it though.
-dirt- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2009, 12:48 PM   #14
Mud-Hunter
2005 TJ Wrangler 

SO I have to pull the covers or can I just drain and fill as long as I don't see any problems in the old fluid? Not sure I can RTV by tonight and really want to get it done tonight. I couldn't drain and refill and drain and keep to use and pull the covers off next week could I?
Unread 12-03-2009, 12:53 PM   #15
-dirt-
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I didn't quite catch all that drain-refill-drain stuff, but no, you don't have to pull the cover on your D44s. They have drain plugs, so you can just drain & refill.

Pulling the covers is recommended though in order to get all the shavings out and to make sure everything looks ok.
-dirt- is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.