Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Dana 44 find, yes or no?

3K views 35 replies 16 participants last post by  jeepwrangler97 
#1 ·
So I had a math exam today and told myself I deserve a reward. After class I found a junk yard. In the junkyard I found two isuzu rodeo's with dana 44's, they both(two rear axles) are clean dana 44's with disc brakes. I am pretty sure they are dana 44's. I don't know what gears they have, but it's my belief they did not have 3.73s as an option for those, maybe they did. Oh and the junk yard wants $150 for the axle with the brakes and everything. I was thinking I could change the gears to 3.73? and change the axle shafts [/B]and match my current bolt pattern? any help would be appreciated, there are two there, so hopefully they won't both be gone next time I go. Should I get one, or not? Oh and I don't want any 44 vs. 8.8 debates here. Thanks guys

See less See more
#6 ·
I just went and grabbed 2 rubi axles locked and everything for $100 each then $1000 for 2 entirely new stronger housing and bingo I got 2 locked 44's that are as strong as 1 tons for $1200

#11 ·
That is an Isuzu D44, they're geared pretty deep actually. I want to say 4.27 or 4.56. They're narrower than a TJ D44 by 2 inches.

JPMagazine said:
'93-Up Isuzu Dana 44 Rear
The Dana 44 rear in Isuzu cute utes is 58-inches wide, has six-lug axles, and comes from the factory with disc brakes. You'll need to swap out the weird metric flange for a standard Dana 44 1310 or whatever yoke and cut and weld the spring perches to fit.
JPMagazine

Its the same amount of work as a Dana 60, Ford 9" or Ford 8.8...

#22 ·
What else do you need to know? Seems like most everything has been answered.

And as for keeping it in your dorm, you have a solid roommate! Mine would kill me if I tried to lug an axle up to our dorm. And you do know how difficult, heavy, and messy it will be getting an axle into a dorm room right? I have a feeling the RA had no idea what you were talking about and you may find out as you are trying to lug an axle into the elevator that they wont take kindly to you dripping gear oil on the carpets and what not :rofl:

#23 ·
What else do you need to know? Seems like most everything has been answered.

And as for keeping it in your dorm, you have a solid roommate! Mine would kill me if I tried to lug an axle up to our dorm. And you do know how difficult, heavy, and messy it will be getting an axle into a dorm room right? I have a feeling the RA had no idea what you were talking about and you may find out as you are trying to lug an axle into the elevator that they wont take kindly to you dripping gear oil on the carpets and what not :rofl:
My RA kinda understood what I was talking about, I figured if I do get it my roommate and I will bring it in late at night, so we don't attract attention. All I was really wondering is if it's worth it to grab it, I can't make up m mind? I guess I'll read a little more and decide.

#24 · (Edited)
wait until you are done with school and have a good career. no sense wasting your concentration on jeep crap. you will have plenty of time and money later if you concentrate now. having a junkyard axle in your room will suck in short order. gear lube leaking out the breather will make your room unlivable.

#25 ·
wait until you are done with school and have a good career. no sense wasting your concentration on jeep crap. you will have plenty of time and money later if you concentrate now. having a junkyard axle in your room will suck in short order. gear lube leaking out the breather will make our room unlivable.
x10000

when you're in college a rear axle shouldn't really be your top priority. It's not like the one you have now is busted, you've just bought into the whole "guys on the internet said i need one" hype that seems all too common these days even amongst people who don't even wheel :rolleyes:

Trust me, there'll always be axles to be found once you're done school and are making good money. And by that point you'll probably be able to afford somethin' real special to throw under the jeep ;)

#27 ·
Just maybe there are a bunch of sweet coeds in the auto program and he is looking to get some help - kind of like killing two birds with one stone - what a unique way of getting them up to his room!!!!!!:2thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.