Dana 44 axle shaft upgrade? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Dana 44 axle shaft upgrade?

The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 08-09-2010, 08:32 AM   #31
rideraa
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I did RCV's on a Dana 44 / Rubicon, RCV Mfg has been great to me as a customer

And Northridge 4x4 was a great initial purchase vendor for the RCV shafts.

I must say they drive very smooth (no "U" joint whip) and are very simple to maintain. ie: grease CV joint thru end of outter shaft, no removal or rebuild. Then there is the RCV life time warrenty

I'll repeat both the above have been great to deal with ...

Unread 08-09-2010, 08:37 AM   #32
mrblaine
Web Wheeler

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aevrubi06 View Post
You can def build D44's to support 37's. I've been running them for 4yrs on all stock shafts and have only broken one stock ujoint. Wheel smart don't be an idiot unless you want breakage, and if so then fix it and don't B***h about it. Everyone knows what wheel hop is, you don't have to baja race your rig across a rock course. Yes ball joints may wear out eventually (mine haven't) but if they do just replace them.
Quote:
For the front i upgraded to RCV shafts in my rubicon and i wheel the piss out of it on 37's. Talk to doug or kyle at extremeaxlesales.com they will take care of you and give you a great deal that you will not turn down.
For the rear D44 i have a set of AlloyUSA chromoloy 4140 30spline shafts from quadratec.
I haven't heard from anyone who isn't happy with the RCV shaft's. A to Z fabrication wheels they're comp rig with them and they will tell you that they love them two. I know of more then a dozen of people who run these shafts.
Folks that are considering taking your advice, need another point of reference.

In our part of the world, normal wheeling in JV and not wheeling the piss out of it, will kill stock front 44 shafts and u-joints on 35's in just a couple of trails.

On the other hand, tossing in a set of Superior or Warn axles with stock Spicers will last you for years out there.
Unread 08-09-2010, 08:52 AM   #33
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

mrblaine, let me ask your opinion on something...

You didn't mention anything about axle trusses. Do you feel that there's any real benefit to using them in conditions similar to those you mentioned, with rigs running 35's? Or are shafts/u-joints really all that's needed for a respectably reliable D44? I've heard so many conflicting opinions about the housing strength that I can't make heads or tails of it.

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2010, 09:18 AM   #34
mrblaine
Web Wheeler

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner View Post
mrblaine, let me ask your opinion on something...

You didn't mention anything about axle trusses. Do you feel that there's any real benefit to using them in conditions similar to those you mentioned, with rigs running 35's? Or are shafts/u-joints really all that's needed for a respectably reliable D44? I've heard so many conflicting opinions about the housing strength that I can't make heads or tails of it.
Even if you truss an axle well enough to stop it from bending because you are going to be jumping it or going fast in the rough stuff, there's a whole bunch of other things that will fail.

The frame on a TJ isn't exactly robust and those that go fast soon find out how much it moves when the fenders crack and the top of the shock towers punches big upward dents in them.

Basically if you aren't jumping or trying to build a race rig, don't worry about it. It's not worth the effort or time to do a weld on front truss because the inner C and balljoints won't take it.
Unread 08-09-2010, 09:35 AM   #35
Apex
Recon death squad

2002 TJ Wrangler 

37s on d30/d44 is hit or miss...two tracks and old fire roads? Sure why not.

Follow some of the guys I wheel with, where we wheel, and you'll be winching off the trail.

With that said you need to plan you build for where you wheel. Don't take your 37s and your d30/d44 and plan to wheel hard in Harlan, KY; Windrock, Badlands, or something like JV. For those of you saying you wheel on 37s on a stock d44, what kind of wheeling are you doing? Because "Wheeling it hard" is subjective, your hard may not be my hard.

Current vehicles: 06 F250 Superduty - 6.0L PSD Straight piped and tuned
03 CBR600RR -1 +2, Yoshi'd & Battlaxed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bddisi View Post
Finesse in crawling looks way cooler than momentum.
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2010, 09:54 AM   #36
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex View Post
Because "Wheeling it hard" is subjective, your hard may not be my hard.
Sound logic. I'm near Uwharrie...however that classifies with the definition of "hard" as held by those more knowledgeable than myself...

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2010, 10:57 AM   #37
Nevam
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I kept the 30 spline and upgraded to Superior Evolution (EV45). As stated above, the stock ones I save for spares...just in case.

Past Jeeps:
'95 ZJ Laredo - '98 ZJ Limited - '01 WJ Limited
'06 TJ Rubicon - '89 YJ Islander
- '01 TJ Sahara
'98 TJ SE
Nevam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2010, 12:38 PM   #38
SuperWade2
More Money than Brains

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
The frame on a TJ isn't exactly robust and those that go fast soon find out how much it moves when the fenders crack and the top of the shock towers punches big upward dents in them.

Like you had to give my passenger side a little extra straightening "help" when installing my new shocks...
2014 WK2 Overland 5.7L
SuperWade2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2010, 12:55 PM   #39
NorCalCon
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I upgraded to Superior front shafts after spitting the caps out of the pass side ujoint. On a snow run!!? locker on and full throtle $840 for both sides. I plan on upgrading the rear shafts before going to 37s. I twisted the splines and bent the shaft on 35s resulting in the wheel wobbling while driving. I just relaced it with a stock Rubicon rear shaft as I found one for cheap.
stuck1.jpg  
NorCalCon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2010, 11:05 PM   #40
Aevrubi06
2006 TJ Wrangler 

well mrblaine in "your part of the world" you can have your opinions, i hope they are from personal experience. Anyone can take advice but i was simply explaining from experience, i have run 35's-37's on stock-chromoly shafts on 44's and have had no problems except for a busted ujoint. Glad to see you know what your talking about.
Aevrubi06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2010, 11:50 PM   #41
jdhallissey
1997 TJ Wrangler 

^ I will say this- blaine comes from and wheels the mecca of 4 wheeling. I have wheeled badlands and also in Az,Ca in my jeep. The stuff they have in the midwest or where ever your from is no where near as hard as the **** out west. The stuff in the midwest is easy and getting boring.
jdhallissey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2010, 09:02 AM   #42
mrblaine
Web Wheeler

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
well mrblaine in "your part of the world" you can have your opinions, i hope they are from personal experience.

Here- Johnson Valley

Look at the trip dates and please note that for every pictorial record of a single trip, there are at least 5 more where my wife just rode with me and didn't take pictures. In fact, at Christmas last year, Gerald and I spent a week out there and were running 3-5 of those trails per DAY and back in camp by 2:00 pm and you may notice her trip records quit in 08.

There are also no pics of our first trips out there which started earlier than the first one posted. So yeah, I have a few opinions based on personal experience in difficult terrain. I have also been the guy in the front of the pack for several years and more trips than I can recall out there, so I wind up helping repair, recover, and fix all the problems on the trails that have the potential to keep my group from getting back to camp.

Quote:
Anyone can take advice but i was simply explaining from experience, i have run 35's-37's on stock-chromoly shafts on 44's and have had no problems except for a busted ujoint. Glad to see you know what your talking about.
I was not trying to diminish or take away from your advice and experience. I was merely adding to it from a perspective that includes more difficult terrain and a reality that is far different than yours.

The stock shafts are not chrome moly and are likely not even 1541-H which is generally an upgrade over stock.
Unread 11-10-2010, 09:13 AM   #43
kuruma
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Blast from the recent past: So for an all around upgrade to make the D44 front and rear Rubicon axles stronger what kind of parts list am I looking at. Before "depends on where you are wheeling" comes back up, I'm in the military so wheeling could be anywhere from the deserts of AZ as I'm in now to California rocks, to the east coast wooded trails. I plan on keeping this Jeep for a while so it will see most of those areas and possibly some international wheeling spots. I'd like to build for at least a 35 inch tire and will probably end up at 37. What all is needed to have it perform somewhat worry free in the axle region?
kuruma is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2011, 02:56 PM   #44
coach-mike
2005 TJ Wrangler 

A 37 aired down is a 34 right. lol.

I must share this I saw an old man in a chromed out 06 unlimited wrangler with a 6" LA lift and a 3" body lift running 39.5 Irocks on his stock d30 and d44 axles. He said it's his mall crawler and had over 20000 miles on the tires with no issues. Craziness to look at as it was in New looking shape. I wish I had my camera is was something to see even if it has never seen dust, dirt or mud.

Tags
dana 44 , axle shaft , upgrade

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.