Dana 44 axle shaft upgrade? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Dana 44 axle shaft upgrade?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits

Unread 08-01-2010, 07:15 AM   #16
robncar
We Got The Cup, AGAIN!!!

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by superslayer View Post
Why spend $500 on CTM's when you can upgrade to RCV shafts for another $400 and still have your completely assembled stock shafts to use as spares?

Besides the spicer 760x joints are PLENTY strong.
The OP was asking about hardened shaft upgrades. We run the CTM's, that we bought used from a forum member, in our upgraded shafts. Why couldn't the OP use the fully assembled stock shafts as spares if the installed CTM's in the upgraded pair? Also, are you saying that the 760x is as strong as a CTM? Just how strong is PLENTY strong anyway?

robncar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2010, 11:37 AM   #17
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

This is great info. I was searching on Super kits right about the time the OP started the thread, and I couldn't figure out the best way to go about beefing the D44's...which is par for the course.

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2010, 12:15 PM   #18
SecondTJ
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I went with AlloyUSA several years ago. Keep your eye out for some used ones too, and save a few bucks.

'99 Z28 M6, some goodies
'94 'Vette, A4 all stock
SecondTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2010, 12:50 PM   #19
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

I've seen several people mention that AlloyUSA isn't the company that it once was. I'm kind of leery of that, myself.

Off-topic: would it be a breach of forum etiquette (i.e. hijacking) to inquire about additional forms of upgrading/strengthening the D44, since I'm not the OP?

Unread 08-01-2010, 03:55 PM   #20
Aevrubi06
2006 TJ Wrangler 

For the front i upgraded to RCV shafts in my rubicon and i wheel the piss out of it on 37's. Talk to doug or kyle at extremeaxlesales.com they will take care of you and give you a great deal that you will not turn down.
For the rear D44 i have a set of AlloyUSA chromoloy 4140 30spline shafts from quadratec.
I haven't heard from anyone who isn't happy with the RCV shaft's. A to Z fabrication wheels they're comp rig with them and they will tell you that they love them two. I know of more then a dozen of people who run these shafts.
Aevrubi06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2010, 04:19 PM   #21
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

RCV's and 37's? Cool...thanks for the link to that retailer. What kind of truss are you running?

Unread 08-01-2010, 04:24 PM   #22
Aevrubi06
2006 TJ Wrangler 

The rear has a Rk 4link truss that i have added to with a few custom brackets
Unread 08-02-2010, 03:34 PM   #23
robncar
We Got The Cup, AGAIN!!!

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner View Post
RCV's and 37's? Cool...thanks for the link to that retailer. What kind of truss are you running?
I'd be concerned about tubes, C's, knuckles, and ball joints with 37's.
robncar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2010, 03:41 PM   #24
jdhallissey
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner View Post
That's good to know. I'm also trying to figure the best way to upgrade my D44 shafts, because I'm heading towards high-clearance fenders and 35's pretty quickly: the alloy shafts would make me feel better.

I don't know much about the weak points of the axles. All I've determined thus far is that the stock air locker has a weak spot, the front outers aren't the best, and alloy shafts would be a welcome upgrade.

Too bad the D44's won't handle 37's...I'd love the extra inch of clearance.
I am starting to look at this differently. Everybody says d44 can't handle 37's. d30 LP's can't handle 37's. Well this past weekend I got to see a guy wheel his TJ on 37's with a front d-30 and d-44. Neither were chromo's and he is running a cummins 4 cyl turbo diesel. He broke a u-joint in his 30 and that was it ( only reason it broke was it was really old ---rusted first) I am not saying it will last a lifetime but if you wheel like you are suppose to a 44/30 will work with 37's.
jdhallissey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2010, 03:52 PM   #25
GOLENJEEPTJ
Running Secretly Amok!

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhallissey View Post
I am starting to look at this differently. Everybody says d44 can't handle 37's. d30 LP's can't handle 37's. Well this past weekend I got to see a guy wheel his TJ on 37's with a front d-30 and d-44. Neither were chromo's and he is running a cummins 4 cyl turbo diesel. He broke a u-joint in his 30 and that was it ( only reason it broke was it was really old ---rusted first) I am not saying it will last a lifetime but if you wheel like you are suppose to a 44/30 will work with 37's.
So if ya wheel like your suppose too...you can easily run 37"s?
GOLENJEEPTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2010, 04:13 PM   #26
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhallissey View Post

Oh I believe you, really, I do.

Unread 08-02-2010, 05:05 PM   #27
jdhallissey
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I am just saying. They are not as weak as everybody makes them out to be. Everything will fail at one point or another. I mean everybody has there own out comes of this. Yes and I understand blaine you are at the mecca of 4x4's so you see it more then me. I am just saying from what I have seen they do hold up. I will be running 37's on d-44's front and rear too for a while. I have chromo's now do they give me that extra piece of mind yes.
jdhallissey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2010, 05:18 PM   #28
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

My own decision kind of got made from a few outside-the-forum discussions I had today. I'm going to stay at stock height and run 35's (high clearance fender) and begin working over my 44's as money allows. Alloy shafts in the rear - maybe a locker change there as well - and probably the RCV alloy shafts in the front. Upgrade the knuckles, heavier steering...I'm not sure what else. I'll truss both ends, I think...it's not just the shafts that are weaker in the TJ 44's. By the time I'm done with all of that, my 35's should be worn down and if I can replace them with 37's if I am doing wheeling that demands a larger tire. That's the most sensible plan I can come up with.

Unread 08-03-2010, 07:25 AM   #29
RubiOR
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I have a similar plan though I'll probably stop at 35's. I'd appreciate hearing the details around the knuckles and trusses as your research continues. My steering will more than likely be Currie when I get to that point & the EBC/Centric combo for brakes.
Unread 08-09-2010, 08:11 AM   #30
Aevrubi06
2006 TJ Wrangler 

You can def build D44's to support 37's. I've been running them for 4yrs on all stock shafts and have only broken one stock ujoint. Wheel smart don't be an idiot unless you want breakage, and if so then fix it and don't B***h about it. Everyone knows what wheel hop is, you don't have to baja race your rig across a rock course. Yes ball joints may wear out eventually (mine haven't) but if they do just replace them.

Tags
dana 44 , axle shaft , upgrade

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.