Dana 44 ARB problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Dana 44 ARB problem

Rugged Ridge Bumpers, Winches, Performance from CCOR!GenRight Offroad at CCOR! 706-207-4140Rubicon express discounts from oconee off-road

Unread 05-12-2010, 11:08 AM   #1
Hotrod97z
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Dana 44 ARB problem

I installed my ARBs. When I tested them, the D44 in the rear worked fine for about 5~10 minutes; then, the compressor came on and I heard an air leak. Upon closer inspection, I realized this air leak was coming from the rear axle tubes with the smell of differential fluid.

I checked the bulkhead connector, hoping that was the problem...ordered a new one for Rusty's. The next day, I had the bulkhead connector buttoned back you, but still had the problem. I ordered a new seal housing. I haven't had time to tear into it yet (wanted to have ALL the parts I might need in hand before I start this).

Problem 1: I receive a bulkhead connector PN 170102, which is double compression type for a 5mm plastic tube to 3/16" copper tube. The ARB came with (and parts list specifies) PN 170111, which is an O-ring type for a 5mm plastic tube to 3.5mm copper tube. The salesman at Rusty's swears it will work. Does this sound logical?

Thanks for the help.

'03 TJ
Hotrod97z is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2010, 11:50 AM   #2
aussied97tj
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Are you sure its leaking at the bulk head fitting, because it could be leaking at the o rings inside collar
aussied97tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2010, 12:29 PM   #3
klimb2xs
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussied97tj View Post
Are you sure its leaking at the bulk head fitting, because it could be leaking at the o rings inside collar
x2 - When I installed my ARB I picked up an extra set of O-rings just in case they leaked.
klimb2xs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2010, 01:08 PM   #4
Hotrod97z
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I haven't had time to open up the differential. I was hoping someone had seen something like this before and had some insight. Thanks for the help...I'll check the O-rings in the collar this weekend

'03 TJ
Hotrod97z is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2010, 01:25 PM   #5
robncar
We Got The Cup, AGAIN!!!

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Unfortunately, sometimes the copper tube will crack at the actuator. The only way to know is to disassemble.
robncar is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.