Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

dana 44

2K views 26 replies 9 participants last post by  Deacon 
#1 ·
Hello. Would a Dana 44 from a 2002 Grand Cherokee fit in my 2003 TJ without relocating the shock, spring and link brackets? Thanks.

#3 ·
The 02 Grand Cherokee also never came with a dana 44, only the d44a which is not the same thing in the least.

#5 ·
I guess I'll do a Super35 in the dana 35 that's in the TJ. If I do, what would be the best axles to upgrade to?
The Super 35 from Revolution Gear & Axle... this one: http://www.4lowparts.com/shop/axles-and-gears/super-35-rear-axle-kit-dana-35-30-spline/ to that you will need a 30 spline locker which 4Lowparts can guide you through selecting. Or just go for the kit which includes the time-tested Detroit Locker at http://www.4lowparts.com/shop/axles-and-gears/super-35-rear-axle-kit-detroit-locker-dana-35/

Good decision to forget about the D44a that comes in a Grand Cherokee. The D44a is an oddball Dana 44 which has an aluminum case which is not nearly as strong. Plus normal Dana 44 devices like lockers won't work/fit in it.

#8 ·
Thank you for the responses. Revolution was my first choice, and definitely is now. For the lockers, I was thinking the E-locker from Eaton. I'm thinking selectable, and adding air lockers adds another point of potential failure in the air compressor. Any opinions on the Eaton e-locker's?

#13 ·
I don't understand the math here. Seems like last time I looked those lockers were within 100-200 of one another per axle. As to the compressor, if you watch ARB runs specials a couple times a year where if you buy two lockers you get the compressor for free. Even if you buy a compressor the little one, which works fine, isn't 300 plus. Math doesn't add up.

As for installation, both installs will require full gear setup. That's a wash. Running hose and running wire aren't going to be that much different. And both will require switch wiring into the cab. And there are plenty of places to mount a compressor.

It honestly sounds like you made up your mind and are just making things up to try to justify your decision.

#20 ·
Thank you for the welcome. Since you believe you are so great and wonderful, why don't you prove it by telling me where I can find the ARB lockers cheaper? And I'm not talking a dollar or two. I mean significantly, like close to the price of the Eatons. You do that and I'll buy the ARB lockers, and compressor.

Also, I never said I'd have someone else install the compressor. It was the install kit, or mounting kit I was referring to. How dumb is someone who would think I'd install the differentials myself, and pay someone to install a compressor??

#21 ·
Thank you for the welcome. Since you believe you are so great and wonderful, why don't you prove it by telling me where I can find the ARB lockers cheaper? And I'm not talking a dollar or two. I mean significantly, like close to the price of the Eatons. You do that and I'll buy the ARB lockers, and compressor.

Also, I never said I'd have someone else install the compressor. It was the install kit, or mounting kit I was referring to. How dumb is someone who would think I'd install the differentials myself, and pay someone to install a compressor??
Not my job to shop for you. Leaving aside what you pay for the lockers (which there will be minor variation, but not a lot as ARB is pretty good at enforcing MAP with their vendors), if you can be patient and wait for ARB promotion you can get compressor for free. If you can't be patient then buy the little ARB compressor. It's a lot cheaper than the number you put in your math and works just fine.

As to cost for install of the compressor you were the one that put a cost for that in your equation. There is no installation kit that adds cost. Mounting bolts come with the compressor. Put them through where ever you are mounting (e.g. inner fender, ABS tray), tighten the nuts, screw on filter and solenoids, push lock hoses and plug in harness. Done.

I never said the ARB was not more than Eaton. All I said was it wasn't as great as you suggested it was. I really don't care what you run, but I do like information here to be accurate for others who will read these threads.

#22 ·
FWIW, since I was bored this afternoon, it looks to me like ECGS sells the actual lockers for 50 to 100 (depending on spline count) less than you quoted in your equation.

So in summary, the 700 plus difference you quoted sure looks to me like 250-400 range (depending on your ability to be patient).

#27 ·
Nobody asked you to write paragraphs. Just a brief explanation of your assertion is plenty. There's no reason why in this thread. There's a reference to D70 models in racing rigs having problems and durability issues in the 8.8 application. Is that what you're referring to?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.