Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Dana 35 Durability; locked on 33's

23K views 34 replies 23 participants last post by  jefro_97tj 
#1 ·
So i gotta 02 TJ with the infamous 30/35 axle combo. i know i will NEVER lock the front, my detroit true trac does enough up there. In my rearend right now i gotta factory Trak Loc, i wanna lock it. Got my eye on the Powertrax No Slip. Im only runnin 33's and the complete opposite of a leadfoot. I idle around stuck yotas on 38's burried in snow drifts because they dont know how to control the throttle and stay on top of the snow. Trust me im not your average 20 yr old wheeler. been driving since i was 13,and can honestly say i got ALOT more experience than alot of guys even older than me. I drive my jeep like i bought it with my own money, cause i did. Bottom line im very easy on my jeep.

So question is, how long yall think my 35 will last while locked on 33's and my "featherfoot" style of driving?

Thanks,
Evan

#3 ·
If you baby it you might turn out ok. When it does break just throw in a TJ 44 or an 8.8.

#4 ·
thats a little scary. im running 33's not locked, and im white knuckling it when i slip. i did an burnout one day (on accident) and was shocked to hear how much the axle was bending. thats not what scares me though, the axle walking out of the housing is.

my next mod is C-Clip eliminator kit with 30 spline axles. i suggest you do the same. you dont have beef your axles out to 30 spline for 33's, but better safe then sorry

#6 ·
I have been running my D35 for 30K miles with the powertrax locker with 33's. I have been extremely gently on mine and lucky so far but I am paranoid about breaking it. It takes a lot of fun out of it to have to be so concerned. I am saving right now for a D60 since I want to move on toward getting 37's slammed up under mine.

Bottom line is I don't recommend it and I want to get away from it as fast as possible. I did all of my work before really educating myself. I have learned a lot and I am not too pleased with my initial build. I was more concerned about the lift, lockers, and tires than about the durability of my drivetrain. Hey, we all gotta learn somehow!

#7 ·
This i always hear is a recipe for disaster but i have had no problems..i run 4.88's 37" tires locked rear, true trac front, i am like you light footed 4 lo 1st gear. and when i get stuck i accept im stuck and dont try to redline my way out. This being said i also tow a small bass boat 16ft. 30/35 f/r. Dumb i know but i didnt build the axles and plan to change them shortly

#14 ·
If you're talking to me, I'm not planning on locking my 35 lol just my 30 up front with either an Aussie or Powertrax. I live in the part of Alabama where there aren't enough rocks to worry about hopping on :thumbdown:

#21 ·
Maybe, just maybe folks are catching on that having a 35 in the back isn't the kiss of death everyone thinks it is. Especially since talented folks like me help good folks like Superior design products that really stop them from being an axle with issues.

#27 ·
Some people will say it's throwing good money after bad, but I have had zero problems with my S35 with C-clip eliminator so far, running 35's and not necessarily always being gentle on the gas. It allows me to treat everything as stock, as far as springs and control arm mounts, etc, everything looks exactly the same to the nekkid eye. The only thing I've changed externally is the recent addition of a truss from TnT, just to make sure it lasts just as long as I want to keep it, which at the moment appears to be pretty much forever. If I ever go bigger, it'll probably be a lot bigger, as in 40's or larger, and that's not anywhere in the current plans.

#33 ·
are aftermarket ring and pinions such as the superior not stronger than the stock? or are they just more expensive for no reason?...I mean, superior, yukon, and some other of the better brands out there talk about using pure 8620 steel in their r and p's....so is that not an upgrade to the oem stuff?

i would assume, that if somebody is looking at upgrading with an s35, they have either already or are going to regear to a better ratio...so if they buy better made ring and pinion gears, isn't that also strengthening the d35?

#35 ·
im very easy on mine but i have friends that have showed me what a 35 can handle.4.0 3.07's welded spiders 32's and lots of hard wheeling and pavement burnouts.i wouldnt do it to mine but ive seen it done.that set up lasted a summers worth of wheeling and hasnt broke i just sold the guy my old 4.10's.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.