Dana 35 Durability; locked on 33's - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Dana 35 Durability; locked on 33's

ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 07-19-2010, 01:41 PM   #16
thecalebwalker
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy_ View Post
ive blown a unlocked d35 on 33s and 31 inch a/t's.
I don't hop... and I'm not beast offroader. This is my DD that has to get me through college on a fixed budget of $0

[SIZE="5"][COLOR="Blue"]Selling an OEM TJ Front Bumper, OEM TJ Rear Bumper, OEM TJ suspension parts, Hidden Hitch, and/or side steps (not OEM). PM If interested![/COLOR][/SIZE]
thecalebwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2010, 01:46 PM   #17
Deacon
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paczowski123 View Post
This i always hear is a recipe for disaster but i have had no problems..i run 4.88's 37" tires locked rear, true trac front
Man I have a hard time believing that. How long have they been that way?
Deacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2010, 02:19 PM   #18
RaggedOleMan
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecalebwalker View Post
So I should be perfectly fine with an unlocked D35 on 33s right?
Hard to say, but in my opinion based, on your driving style, I would be inclined to say "yes". Here's why I think so;

I ran an unlocked d35 on 32's for 3+ years, and the last two of five years total, on 33's (unlocked). I too, am light on the spendy pedal opting instead for finesse'. A weekend wheeler I'm out practically every weekend with rare exception and I'm not talking about forest service roads...

That said, I recently bought a PowerTrax/No Slip auto locker for my d35, but, not before upgrading to a 27 spline Superior CCE. I'm told that no 27 spline CCE has ever broken on 33's...that's peace of mind to me, and an affordable option as opposed to bumping up to a larger axle assembly. And make no mistake...

I'm not a d35 hater...can't afford to be. And I believe that if it's used within the perimeters it was designed for, it's a good assembly. However, peace of mind comes with an upgrade and that perceived value goes a long way when it comes to exceeding the design perimeters of the d35 with 33's, 35's etc.

Then too, upgrading to a 30 spline Superior CCE would be even better, if you can afford to replace and re-set the carrier on top of the CCE expense.

Last, never broke an axle shaft or any dif/components for that matter, and I believe that's totally due to my wheeling style, easy on the spendy pedal and good maintenance practices...good luck!
RaggedOleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2010, 06:09 PM   #19
cpleasant
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy_ View Post
ive blown a unlocked d35 on 33s and 31 inch a/t's.
As have I, in a parking lot no less.
I know your rite I seid the dealer seid the same thing as you and that I don't want them there , but I was asking another qeustin as in what do I do about the slots in the brackets couse if I just put a bolt in there it will slide back and fourth but again thank you all knowing and powerfull jeep god sorry us lesser jeep peeons might have some more qeustins in the future , so please if there to much for you sit back relax go to the next post
cpleasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2010, 06:24 PM   #20
happymudder10
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Seriously, is this a freakin' joke? How many times this week are we gonna have someone ask about a D35 and locker on 33's or 35's?

USE THE DAMN SEARCH BUTTON. Better yet, just go ahead and lock the 35, slap some 35's on it and go out to Moab.
Unread 07-19-2010, 08:34 PM   #21
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by happymudder10 View Post
Seriously, is this a freakin' joke? How many times this week are we gonna have someone ask about a D35 and locker on 33's or 35's?

USE THE DAMN SEARCH BUTTON. Better yet, just go ahead and lock the 35, slap some 35's on it and go out to Moab.
Maybe, just maybe folks are catching on that having a 35 in the back isn't the kiss of death everyone thinks it is. Especially since talented folks like me help good folks like Superior design products that really stop them from being an axle with issues.
Unread 07-19-2010, 08:41 PM   #22
Joetomchick01
1993 YJ Wrangler 

my friend runs 35 with a locker and doesnt has broke 2 axles but he wheels his pretty often and does alot with it
Joetomchick01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2010, 01:20 AM   #23
crateampscal
2005 TJ Wrangler 

yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
Maybe, just maybe folks are catching on that having a 35 in the back isn't the kiss of death everyone thinks it is. Especially since talented folks like me help good folks like Superior design products that really stop them from being an axle with issues.
i was waiting for you to comment. I got to see one of your kits in action on saturday. i was impressed; 36's, hoping while flexed, and tackin rpms. Peoples jaws were dropping when he pulled up, and i commented on his D35. People were calling him crazy, and he smiled and said "c-clip eliminator, 30 spline". im sold, as these guys need to be. IF YOU WANT A LOCKER IN A D35, then buy a c-clip eliminator.

when vendors hype up their product, i take it with a grain of salt. It takes more than just stories to convince me. the guy said he installed it because he had an axle walk out with 33's with no locker. he has the detroit locker and has tried to break your kit on purpose. it looked like he was trying on saturday. he hasnt and recommendeds the kit.
crateampscal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2010, 05:02 AM   #24
Jetscuh
O rly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by crateampscal View Post
i was waiting for you to comment. I got to see one of your kits in action on saturday. i was impressed; 36's, hoping while flexed, and tackin rpms. Peoples jaws were dropping when he pulled up, and i commented on his D35. People were calling him crazy, and he smiled and said "c-clip eliminator, 30 spline". im sold, as these guys need to be. IF YOU WANT A LOCKER IN A D35, then buy a c-clip eliminator.

when vendors hype up their product, i take it with a grain of salt. It takes more than just stories to convince me. the guy said he installed it because he had an axle walk out with 33's with no locker. he has the detroit locker and has tried to break your kit on purpose. it looked like he was trying on saturday. he hasnt and recommendeds the kit.

Even that kit in theory sounds like it would work. Think about the Dana 35's main faults. That kit corrects them by eliminating the C-clips and adding the 30 spline to the equation.

The main reason why I don't suggest to run a Dana 35 locked with 33+ tires is that it most commonly walks out on you. Or at least that's the what I have seen happen most.

I can't say anything too bad about the Dana 35 when it's strengthened in such a way.
Jetscuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2010, 07:28 AM   #25
TJBoomer
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Read: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/au...-d35c-1071483/
TJBoomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2010, 08:49 AM   #26
thecalebwalker
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by happymudder10 View Post

OMG STOP WASTING PAPER ON THE INTERNET!! YOU'RE USING UP TOO MUCH SPACE ON THE FORUM!!!

dude... chill lol I have searched and read about this topic countless times. The only reason I asked in this thread was because these guys didn't act so gun shy about using the term D35 like everyone else on this forum is. It's just nice to have all the input I can get from as many people as I can get it from when I'm the one driving home from work on 33s with a D35. Trust me, there's plenty of space on the internet for EVERYONE'S opinion to be heard at least a million times. We're all friends here. Don't be so DAMN hostile

[SIZE="5"][COLOR="Blue"]Selling an OEM TJ Front Bumper, OEM TJ Rear Bumper, OEM TJ suspension parts, Hidden Hitch, and/or side steps (not OEM). PM If interested![/COLOR][/SIZE]
thecalebwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2010, 10:03 AM   #27
Deacon
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Some people will say it's throwing good money after bad, but I have had zero problems with my S35 with C-clip eliminator so far, running 35's and not necessarily always being gentle on the gas. It allows me to treat everything as stock, as far as springs and control arm mounts, etc, everything looks exactly the same to the nekkid eye. The only thing I've changed externally is the recent addition of a truss from TnT, just to make sure it lasts just as long as I want to keep it, which at the moment appears to be pretty much forever. If I ever go bigger, it'll probably be a lot bigger, as in 40's or larger, and that's not anywhere in the current plans.
Deacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2010, 11:36 AM   #28
97TJGUZZY
1997 TJ Wrangler 

sure it will work great, look at all these people who support you

Another broken Jeep Dana 35c Rear-End.
Unread 07-20-2010, 03:25 PM   #29
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97TJGUZZY View Post
sure it will work great, look at all these people who support you

Another broken Jeep Dana 35c Rear-End.
Another nice group of narrow minded myopic folks. See any products from Superior in there? Didn't think so.
Unread 07-20-2010, 03:33 PM   #30
BriansCJ
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
Blaine, I always though the 35 was a piece of crap. But with all of the recent threads talking about running 33s/35s on a S35 kit, im starting to change my mind.

Tags
dana 35 , d35 , lock , locker , locked , durability , strength , 33 , TJ

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.