Dana 35 Durability; locked on 33's - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Dana 35 Durability; locked on 33's

Savvy FOX IFP 4" Lift Shocks in StockSavvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 07-19-2010, 12:55 PM   #1
evan1395
1996 ZJ 

Dana 35 Durability; locked on 33's

So i gotta 02 TJ with the infamous 30/35 axle combo. i know i will NEVER lock the front, my detroit true trac does enough up there. In my rearend right now i gotta factory Trak Loc, i wanna lock it. Got my eye on the Powertrax No Slip. Im only runnin 33's and the complete opposite of a leadfoot. I idle around stuck yotas on 38's burried in snow drifts because they dont know how to control the throttle and stay on top of the snow. Trust me im not your average 20 yr old wheeler. been driving since i was 13,and can honestly say i got ALOT more experience than alot of guys even older than me. I drive my jeep like i bought it with my own money, cause i did. Bottom line im very easy on my jeep.

So question is, how long yall think my 35 will last while locked on 33's and my "featherfoot" style of driving?

Thanks,
Evan

evan1395 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2010, 12:56 PM   #2
evan1395
1996 ZJ 

btw the only wheeling i really ever do is during the winter in Snow
evan1395 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2010, 12:58 PM   #3
SILASPRIT
1997 ZJ 

If you baby it you might turn out ok. When it does break just throw in a TJ 44 or an 8.8.

-SOLD-
1997 Grand Cherokee 5.2 Limited - D44a Trussed 4.10 Gears - HP30 4.10 Gears - NP242 - IRO HnT - IRO Custom Drive Shaft - 4.5" lift - JKS Quicker Disconnects -
RC Front ADJ. Trackbar - IRO Rear ADJ. Trackbar - Rusty's Lower ADJ. CA's - Front tow hooks - Rear OE Hitch - T-Case Skid -
Gas Tank Skid - Bilstein 5125's - 31" MTR's - Magnaflow SS Muffler - 1.25" Wheel Spacers - Custom Rock Sliders - Cobra 19 DXIV

I am an Authorized IRO dealer!!
SILASPRIT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2010, 01:06 PM   #4
crateampscal
2005 TJ Wrangler 

thats a little scary. im running 33's not locked, and im white knuckling it when i slip. i did an burnout one day (on accident) and was shocked to hear how much the axle was bending. thats not what scares me though, the axle walking out of the housing is.

my next mod is C-Clip eliminator kit with 30 spline axles. i suggest you do the same. you dont have beef your axles out to 30 spline for 33's, but better safe then sorry
crateampscal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2010, 01:12 PM   #5
jeepinmichguy_
2003 TJ Wrangler 

i will never suggest a locked stock 35 no matter how light you think your foot is. if it was reliable do you think there would be 5 threads a day in the tj section alone asking about it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
Jeepinmichguy is a jerk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
How about this, if you had the Jeep Spirit, you wouldn't abuse the rest of us trying to enjoy a nice day out wheeling by bringing your brokeass broken down junkyard crap out to play where it can't handle it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepForum123 View Post
you all have nice rigs, stop being f****** a**holes.
jeepinmichguy_ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2010, 01:27 PM   #6
cmyTJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I have been running my D35 for 30K miles with the powertrax locker with 33's. I have been extremely gently on mine and lucky so far but I am paranoid about breaking it. It takes a lot of fun out of it to have to be so concerned. I am saving right now for a D60 since I want to move on toward getting 37's slammed up under mine.

Bottom line is I don't recommend it and I want to get away from it as fast as possible. I did all of my work before really educating myself. I have learned a lot and I am not too pleased with my initial build. I was more concerned about the lift, lockers, and tires than about the durability of my drivetrain. Hey, we all gotta learn somehow!
1999 TJ - 35x12.5 Goodyear MTRs with Kevlar, 3.5" RE springs, Currie/Savvy control arms, 1" BL/MML, 8.8(ARB)/HP30(Powertrax) with 4.88s, UCF UHC Skids, Currie Steering, Currie Front Track Bar, PSC steering box, Black Magic Brakes
cmyTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2010, 01:35 PM   #7
Paczowski123
2004 TJ Wrangler 

This i always hear is a recipe for disaster but i have had no problems..i run 4.88's 37" tires locked rear, true trac front, i am like you light footed 4 lo 1st gear. and when i get stuck i accept im stuck and dont try to redline my way out. This being said i also tow a small bass boat 16ft. 30/35 f/r. Dumb i know but i didnt build the axles and plan to change them shortly
Paczowski123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2010, 01:45 PM   #8
Jetscuh
O rly?

I had a Dana 35 locked (Detroit) with 33's and it never made a peep. I only wheeled it a couple of times. I am in the minority though.
Jetscuh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2010, 02:11 PM   #9
bamacpl
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I got a D35 rear w/detroit locker & wheel the hell out of it! I try not to wheel hop it & sorta baby it & never had it break yet....*fingers crossed*
bamacpl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2010, 02:16 PM   #10
jeepinmichguy_
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paczowski123 View Post
This i always hear is a recipe for disaster but i have had no problems..i run 4.88's 37" tires locked rear, true trac front, i am like you light footed 4 lo 1st gear. and when i get stuck i accept im stuck and dont try to redline my way out. This being said i also tow a small bass boat 16ft. 30/35 f/r. Dumb i know but i didnt build the axles and plan to change them shortly

Quote:
Jeepinmichguy is a jerk.
Quote:
How about this, if you had the Jeep Spirit, you wouldn't abuse the rest of us trying to enjoy a nice day out wheeling by bringing your brokeass broken down junkyard crap out to play where it can't handle it?
Quote:
Unread 07-19-2010, 02:19 PM   #11
thecalebwalker
1999 TJ Wrangler 

So I should be perfectly fine with an unlocked D35 on 33s right?

[SIZE="5"][COLOR="Blue"]Selling an OEM TJ Front Bumper, OEM TJ Rear Bumper, OEM TJ suspension parts, Hidden Hitch, and/or side steps (not OEM). PM If interested![/COLOR][/SIZE]
thecalebwalker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2010, 02:20 PM   #12
SLADE
2004 TJ Wrangler 

It's a 35, it only takes one bad hop.
SLADE is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2010, 02:20 PM   #13
SkyHigh
1997 TJ Wrangler 

If you only wheel in snow, and only once in awhile, why do you need a locker?
Unread 07-19-2010, 02:25 PM   #14
thecalebwalker
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyHigh View Post
If you only wheel in snow, and only once in awhile, why do you need a locker?
If you're talking to me, I'm not planning on locking my 35 lol just my 30 up front with either an Aussie or Powertrax. I live in the part of Alabama where there aren't enough rocks to worry about hopping on

[SIZE="5"][COLOR="Blue"]Selling an OEM TJ Front Bumper, OEM TJ Rear Bumper, OEM TJ suspension parts, Hidden Hitch, and/or side steps (not OEM). PM If interested![/COLOR][/SIZE]
thecalebwalker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2010, 02:30 PM   #15
jeepinmichguy_
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecalebwalker View Post
So I should be perfectly fine with an unlocked D35 on 33s right?
ive blown a unlocked d35 on 33s and 31 inch a/t's.

Quote:
Jeepinmichguy is a jerk.
Quote:
Quote:

Tags
dana 35 , d35 , lock , locker , locked , durability , strength , 33 , TJ

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.