Dana 35 detroit locker for $200 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Dana 35 detroit locker for $200

8.8 Swap Kit w/ TRUSS for Jeeps~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFF

Unread 07-01-2010, 08:28 PM   #1
viperbluelx
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Dana 35 detroit locker for $200

I found a used Detroit Locker for a Dana 35 with 30-spline axles for $200. The guy said it's got low miles, he's just parting out his Jeep. That plus some 30-spline axles and I'm well on my way to a S35 setup, right? I wouldn't mind doing an 8.8 build, but that's a lot of work and I'd have a lot of money in it to do it right, so I thought an S35 should suffice with my 33's.

Unread 07-01-2010, 08:39 PM   #2
Mousejockey
1997 TJ Wrangler 

8.8 is probably cheeper, in the long run if nothing else. Stock axles in the 8.8 are strong. For the cost of your $200 locker and 'super' D35 axles you can build an 8.8 and not worry about it
Mousejockey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2010, 08:45 PM   #3
viperbluelx
2004 LJ Wrangler 

I'm trying to figure out how it's possible that I can build an 8.8 for the same price. I've read that but it don't add up. At the very cheapest the bracket kit is gonna be $250. Cheapest I've found a disc brake 8.8 anywhere around this area is $250 and that's with a 3.73 gear. So I'll need to regear it, $170 for a 4.10 gearset. That's not including having the brackets welded on and I'm already at $670ish? Then I'll need new brake lines, hoses, u-joint, etc. right?
Unread 07-01-2010, 09:12 PM   #4
hustler905
2002 TJ Wrangler 

You can't get an 8.8 in there for remotely the same cost. As a standard answer, I don't get why people say that.

Detroit locker for $200? That's a terrible deal. In fact it's so bad, you should just give me the guy's contact info and I will buy it to save anyone else from getting such a bad deal.
hustler905 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2010, 09:45 PM   #5
JeepnBlake
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I would see if the guy also has the 30 spline shafts also, or if he would be willing to sell the whole axle to you.

Either way 200 bones is pretty cheap, like lunch box cheap.

Build Thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/j...thread-985907/
Dad's Build Thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/d...build-1474170/
OEM Fog Light Connectors, Conversions, and Extension Info:http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f20/o...ngler-1008928/
JeepnBlake is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2010, 12:16 AM   #6
Tuffjeeper
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Thats a great price. I have that same setup in my TJ, but I paid $8_ _ for mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plrbear View Post
Destroyed it somehow..... It went wobble wobble wobble boom
Tuffjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2010, 12:33 AM   #7
RaggedOleMan
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by viperbluelx View Post
I found a used Detroit Locker for a Dana 35 with 30-spline axles for $200. The guy said it's got low miles, he's just parting out his Jeep. That plus some 30-spline axles and I'm well on my way to a S35 setup, right? I wouldn't mind doing an 8.8 build, but that's a lot of work and I'd have a lot of money in it to do it right, so I thought an S35 should suffice with my 33's.
If it's a Detroit EZ locker, it's a lunchbox and it will replace the spider gears and the carrier won't have to be re-set up. However, it's likely not a Detroit EZ because you indicate it comes with 30 spline axles...Detroit EZ is a lunchbox, and the lunchbox lockers are for 27 spline shafts in a d35. You should probably confirm that, but, I believe that to be a true statement.

If it's a full case Detroit locker it comes with a carrier and as a result, you'll have to "set up" the carrier, or pay to have it done. ($$) Since it comes with the 30 spline carrier you'll need the 30 spline shafts.

The Super 35 is, I believe, specific to Superior Axle and Gear, 30 spline, Evolution Series axles shafts, specific to the d35. Others copy it, but the Superior brand is the real enchilada, made in the good ole USA.
RaggedOleMan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2010, 08:19 AM   #8
viperbluelx
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaggedOleMan View Post
If it's a Detroit EZ locker, it's a lunchbox and it will replace the spider gears and the carrier won't have to be re-set up. However, it's likely not a Detroit EZ because you indicate it comes with 30 spline axles...Detroit EZ is a lunchbox, and the lunchbox lockers are for 27 spline shafts in a d35. You should probably confirm that, but, I believe that to be a true statement.

If it's a full case Detroit locker it comes with a carrier and as a result, you'll have to "set up" the carrier, or pay to have it done. ($$) Since it comes with the 30 spline carrier you'll need the 30 spline shafts.

The Super 35 is, I believe, specific to Superior Axle and Gear, 30 spline, Evolution Series axles shafts, specific to the d35. Others copy it, but the Superior brand is the real enchilada, made in the good ole USA.
It's a full case locker. Detroit is what Superior supplies in their kits, right?
Unread 07-02-2010, 05:21 PM   #9
RaggedOleMan
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by viperbluelx View Post
It's a full case locker. Detroit is what Superior supplies in their kits, right?
I believe that's a true statement. I believe it's also true that ARB, Ox, Ected, Eaton etc. are options.
RaggedOleMan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-07-2011, 08:57 AM   #10
Goaround
1993 YJ Wrangler 

i have a guy trying to sell me what he thinks is a detroit locker set up for a jeep yj 373 gears. but he told me it didnt fit on his jeep with 411s in a dana 35. if it doesnt fit the 411 dana 35, would it fit a dana 35 with 373? the locker has no box but has numbers 85044, 85041 stamped on the pieces. i am rebuilding my jeep. i picked up a 8.8 with limited slip for 70 bucks with 373 gears and just found this locker for 100 bucks. money is an object. should i stick with 8.8 and not afford a true locker or my perfectly working dana 35 with a locker? running very aggressive 33s
Goaround is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-07-2011, 09:08 AM   #11
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goaround View Post
i have a guy trying to sell me what he thinks is a detroit locker set up for a jeep yj 373 gears. but he told me it didnt fit on his jeep with 411s in a dana 35. if it doesnt fit the 411 dana 35, would it fit a dana 35 with 373? the locker has no box but has numbers 85044, 85041 stamped on the pieces. i am rebuilding my jeep. i picked up a 8.8 with limited slip for 70 bucks with 373 gears and just found this locker for 100 bucks. money is an object. should i stick with 8.8 and not afford a true locker or my perfectly working dana 35 with a locker? running very aggressive 33s
Unless you're in love with your Dana 35, stick to the 8.8 plan. You can run it open for a while and throw in a lunchbox locker later down the line. I was looking for an 8.8 for a while and also picked up one for $70 but it was also the wrong gear ratio. I hung on to mine and sold it later for $200 and bought one listed on craigslist that had everything I needed for super cheap.

Skip the Detroit because the carrier break is 3.54 and down and 3.73 and up. NOT the right locker for your 4.10 application. More reason anyway to find a 4.10 open 8.8 so you can throw a lunchbox inside a lot easier than the l/s models as they tend to be more expensive to lock.

Tags
d35 , dana 35 , detroit , locker , deal , buying

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.