Dana 35 to Dana44 Swap - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Dana 35 to Dana44 Swap

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 10-29-2009, 10:55 AM   #1
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Dana 35 to Dana44 Swap

Will a Dana 44 from a 02 TJ bolt in directly with an 05 TJ? Are there any differences with the yoke or drive shaft that need to be considered?

Unread 10-29-2009, 11:06 AM   #2
drummerchukb1
1998 TJ Wrangler 

from what ive read, it should be a direct swap. im about to swap a d44 from a 2000 into my 98 once i get it re-geared
drummerchukb1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-29-2009, 11:13 AM   #3
rideraa
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I'm about to do one also, watch your drive shaft length, info I have found says it needs to be a bit shorter (like as little as a 1/4" reported by some, if thats true it could break the "T" case under compression) also was stated a moderate lift would accomodate the difference ... For Rudi 44 you will also need a 1310/1330 u joint and different cables for the parking brake (rear disc)
rideraa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-29-2009, 12:08 PM   #4
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideraa View Post
I'm about to do one also, watch your drive shaft length, info I have found says it needs to be a bit shorter (like as little as a 1/4" reported by some, if thats true it could break the "T" case under compression) also was stated a moderate lift would accomodate the difference ... For Rudi 44 you will also need a 1310/1330 u joint and different cables for the parking brake (rear disc)
It's not from a Rubicon. What is considered a moderate lift? I have a 2inch suspension with 1inch BL/MML.
Unread 10-29-2009, 12:28 PM   #5
Benderff
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Yes it is a direct swap. I'm guessing it has drum brakes, but if it has disk you would need new parking brake cables. The pinion is a little longer, but with your lift you should be fine. Once you get it under your jeep just make sure the driveshaft has enough play that it will not be pushed into you transfercase.

Here is what I just built. It's going under in next week.
Benderff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-29-2009, 12:37 PM   #6
rideraa
2000 TJ Wrangler 

your going to have to use your own judgement on the shaft length ... can't help you there ... did you extend your bump stops with the lift ... that maybe some insurance ...

report back .. I'd be interested in your findings .. as of now the soonest i will be installing is Nov 4 ... and that will be with a 4" lift ...

sorry i can't be any more specific ... person above ... says ok....
rideraa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-29-2009, 01:38 PM   #7
bean66
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I just did this swap about 6 weeks ago. Yes it is a direct bolt up swap for most of the components.

However if its a RUBI D44 then the snout is a bit longer and it has a 1330 yoke output. You have a few choices here to mount this up,
A. get a 1310/1330 combo u-joint.
B. Have a 1330 yoke welded onto your drive shaft and install a 1330 u-joint. Most drive shops can do this and the yoke only costs another $20 or so.

Some issues i ran into:
1. Disk brake cables vs the stock cables from the drums.
2. Speedo gear change. They are pretty pricey at $80.
3. Vibes, since the snout is longer this increases the shaft angle.
4. Bad bearings in the axle as well as leaking seals.
5. Pump installation and purchase for rubi lockers.

This has led me into, TT, SS SYE and a new DC driveshaft, adjustable control arms.
bean66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-29-2009, 01:43 PM   #8
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Are there any vibes or driveline problems with a non-Rubi dana44 due to the longer pinion? How much longer is the pinion?
Unread 10-29-2009, 01:50 PM   #9
theducksguts
2000 XJ Cherokee 

For non rubicon TJ Dana 44's it isn't more than an inch longer. With your lift you should be fine. Just compress the suspension and make sure the slip joint does not contact the Transfer Case. It is not expensive to have a D35 TJ drive shaft cut down and shortened.

Check out my Classifieds
theducksguts is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-15-2009, 10:48 PM   #10
bmxrules39
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I want to re-open this thread to say that I was wondering about pinion length because I'm about to do this swap (97 D44 into my 97 D35), I just a super short shaft kit with a TW driveshaft, I have no t-case drop and a 4.5in lift. So I'm thinking I'll be fine to do it, but just wondering..
Unread 11-15-2009, 10:54 PM   #11
Benderff
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

I did a tummy tuck at the sametime as my axle swap. If I had not done the tuck I would have needed to cut the drive shaft down.
I am on 3.5'' of spring lift and the belly up raised the transfer case output 2 inches. I also have a SYE with a Tom Woods shaft that was cut to size for the lift. I think you will just have to get the axle under the jeep and see.
Here is my write-up vvvvvvvv
Unread 08-30-2010, 06:04 PM   #12
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Just a quick bump. I installed the Dana44. It took a full 8 hours with several hiccups along the way. Mostly my fault. The biggest problem was a few broken bolts due to an over aggressive impact.

Here are some pics of my drive shaft. This first image is will the Dana35.

Here is the drive shaft after with the Dana44.

Now that I look at it, I think I have a leaking axle seal. Crap!
Unread 08-30-2010, 06:14 PM   #13
Benderff
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

You know you need to have the drive shaft shortened right?

With the seal leak; did you use any sealer around the outside of the axle seal? Did you have the axle shafts pressed apart,and does the new axle have disc brakes??
Unread 08-30-2010, 06:34 PM   #14
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

[QUOTE]You know you need to have the drive shaft shortened right?[QUOTE]

X2
wushaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-30-2010, 07:31 PM   #15
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah I know. The pic is for others thinking of doing the swap.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.