Dana 35 c-clip eliminator 1st hand experience? - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Dana 35 c-clip eliminator 1st hand experience?

Hella Rallye 1000 Series 12-Volt/55-Watt Black Magic HalogFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Jeep Wrangler Hurricane Flat Fender Flare Kits for 2007-20

Unread 09-21-2009, 05:35 PM   #91
never monday
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4grey88 View Post
After changing the shafts the weakest point is the gears. I have seen a friend explode a 4.88 gear on his dana 30.
that's not the fault of the gear set.

Unread 10-21-2009, 12:51 AM   #92
AZ_Jeep
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Has anyone experienced leaks with this kit? The latest jp magazine states "Upgrading a C-clip axle with a C-clip eliminator kit doesn’t provide a strength gain, but it will usually cause oil leaks around the bearing and flange area...so save your money." I am considering adding this kit to provide assurance of not being stranded out on the trail.
AZ_Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2009, 06:49 AM   #93
Maxxram
2006 LJ Wrangler 

After I installed the kit a did have a leak on the passenger side. But it was due to installation error on my part. I contacted Superior about the leak and they sent me a new seal. Since then I haven't had any leaks.
Maxxram is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2009, 07:28 AM   #94
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxxram View Post
After I installed the kit a did have a leak on the passenger side. But it was due to installation error on my part. I contacted Superior about the leak and they sent me a new seal. Since then I haven't had any leaks.
Just tightened the nuts without making sure the seal was pushed in first, eh?
Unread 10-21-2009, 07:33 AM   #95
Maxxram
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
Just tightened the nuts without making sure the seal was pushed in first, eh?
Actually I had one of the original kits were their were some issues with the bearing race not being pressed into the inner flange. (Hope I have my terminology right) I didn't get the race seated right and that caused the leak.
Maxxram is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2009, 09:43 AM   #96
nsmerilli
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_Jeep View Post
Has anyone experienced leaks with this kit? The latest jp magazine states "Upgrading a C-clip axle with a C-clip eliminator kit doesn’t provide a strength gain, but it will usually cause oil leaks around the bearing and flange area...so save your money." I am considering adding this kit to provide assurance of not being stranded out on the trail.
I installed this kit and have had no leaks (knock on wood) I think it's a great upgrade from stock.
nsmerilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2009, 09:51 AM   #97
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
As usual, JP has their head up their arse and makes no distinction between a C-clip eliminator for drag racing and straight line driving and one that was developed specifically to address the issues encountered offroad.

Installed correctly, the Superior C-clip eliminator has exactly the same chance of leaking offroad in extreme side loads that a Dana 44 has. Plus the flange to shaft interface on the axle has been beefed up with a larger radius to stop from bending the 4340 axles.

The normal c-clip eliminator made for drag racing is nothing more than an aluminum housing that you clamp a ball style bearing in, which can easily be made to leak.
Unread 10-21-2009, 03:07 PM   #98
bama27
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Got a quick question. I had a local offroad shop do my axles and went with a S35 kit and 4.10 gears. The question I have is my shafts are yukon 30 spline shafts, will this kit (superior shafts) work with my detroit S35 or am I SOL?
bama27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2009, 03:50 PM   #99
never monday
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bama27 View Post
Got a quick question. I had a local offroad shop do my axles and went with a S35 kit and 4.10 gears. The question I have is my shafts are yukon 30 spline shafts, will this kit (superior shafts) work with my detroit S35 or am I SOL?
the Superior shafts will work with your locker
Unread 10-21-2009, 03:57 PM   #100
Blktjsport
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I'm very interested in this kit now but have a few questions first.
First if I go with the c-clip eliminator I get 27 spline axles which I can use with my stock diff
but can't get a disk brake conversion??
Second if I go with the 30 spline c clip eliminator what selectable lockers do I have to choose from??
Third if I get the 30 spine c clip eliminator and locker is basically a s35 with c clip eliminated and will probably be the strongest I can make my 35 other than trussing it right. Thanks in advance
Unread 10-21-2009, 06:26 PM   #101
CRAWLING 98
Rock Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Being one of the original testers of the c-clip eliminator I had a leak on the passenger side because of installation issues. When in stalling the c-clip eliminator I recommend placing a small amount of RTV on the outer section of the oil seal (seal and axle housing side not the shaft side) to insure proper sealing of the seal. mine leaked around the seal (between the seal and axle housing). I have had my kit installed for over two years and after adding the RTV I have had NO problems with the axle shafts leaking.

I would recommend this kit to anyone that wants a bit of protection without the large budget of having to upgrade to a Dana 44 (which I might add, has the same type of seals and that recommend RTV be added during the installation) or 60's. Have you priced them out?

A small peace of mind knowing that "if" I break my axle that it will not walk all the way out and strand me on the trails.

Quote:
You can't break the eliminator. It's a machined housing end with larger D-44 sized bearings. The axles are possible to break, but so far, that's not happened. Granted, there is not a huge amount of them in use, but the testing I supervised would likely scare anyone with what I had them do and all the parts survived just fine.
Mine are still going..

Last edited by CRAWLING 98; 10-21-2009 at 06:38 PM..
CRAWLING 98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2009, 06:30 PM   #102
never monday
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blktjsport View Post
I'm very interested in this kit now but have a few questions first.
First if I go with the c-clip eliminator I get 27 spline axles which I can use with my stock diff - yes
but can't get a disk brake conversion - correct

Second if I go with the 30 spline c clip eliminator what selectable lockers do I have to choose from - OX, ARB, ECTED, ELECTRAC

Third if I get the 30 spine c clip eliminator and locker is basically a s35 with c clip eliminated and will probably be the strongest I can make my 35 other than trussing it right. - you can weld the tubes and add a welded truss for a maxed out build.
Unread 10-21-2009, 07:06 PM   #103
StvDiego

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weeeee View Post
newbie ? What would you do to keep breaking the spider gears on the open diff?
Quote:
Well I have this point and shoot style of Jeeping (so I am told)
Quote:
Originally Posted by never monday View Post
that's not the fault of the gear set.
So true.

A common phrase heard on the trail with him is "Slow Down Turbo" as he does indeed have a point-and-shoot driving style. He would rather push rocks out of his way rather than crawl over them.

The spider gear issues comes down to a heavy right foot and is actually more an indicator of axle strength than a weak RP set. There is always a weak point in any mechanical device; strengthening the axle shafts moves a weak point to the next spot, strengthening the RP moves the weak point to the next weakest link and so on.

Slam an axle against large rocks while accelerating enough times and something is going to give, in this case, the teeth on the ring gear. We constantly remind grey88 that it's called "rock crawling" for a reason.

Having said that, I would not hesitate to recommend this kit to most wheelers. I have seen it in action and have driven this Jeep myself many times in difficult terrain. Previously grey88 has broken D35 shafts and has had no issues with shafts since installing this kit.

I have spent way too many hours limping off a run helping someone get home with a busted D35 shaft and having no brakes, not to mention cleaning up a mess on a trail when those same shafts walked out of the housing and leaked fluids.

While the strength gain of the axles alone is apparent in grey88's driving style, my continuing belief is that the safety measure of the c-clip eliminator alone is well worth the cost.

Quote:
Mine are still going..
That alone is a testament to their strength and value
StvDiego is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2009, 11:45 PM   #104
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Can you reference a page number you found that little tidbit on for me pretty please? I was discussing this issue with someone today while thumbing through that rag and couldn't readily locate it. I refused to poison my mind by attempting closer inspection.
Unread 10-21-2009, 11:58 PM   #105
mudb8
want it rite or rite now?

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Can you reference a page number you found that little tidbit on for me pretty please? I was discussing this issue with someone today while thumbing through that rag and couldn't readily locate it. I refused to poison my mind by attempting closer inspection.
lol, I wouldn't bother with that! as you know, if you can read and pay attention... the superior instructions tell you how to seal it up.

if they have one that leaks, I'd say they just stuffed it together then started complaining.

I guess I wouldn't know tho, I lost count of how many I've done...

I spy some savvy stuff there too...lol

HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars
DIY highline fenders.... 34-37's under 0"-2.5" lifts
shock length, bumpstop extension, tire size chart click here
DIY shock shifters, more uptravel/better ride

2011 E-350 4x4 Van conversion

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

ASE Certified Master Tech/Fabricator @ jeepwest.com
mudb8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.