Dana 35 c-clip eliminator 1st hand experience? - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Dana 35 c-clip eliminator 1st hand experience?

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 04-02-2009, 08:56 AM   #76
CRAWLING 98
Rock Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
You can't break the eliminator. It's a machined housing end with larger D-44 sized bearings. The axles are possible to break, but so far, that's not happened. Granted, there is not a huge amount of them in use, but the testing I supervised would likely scare anyone with what I had them do and all the parts survived just fine. You'll be just fine.
I wheel mine like crazy (to the point that I was informed that I did not have to try to break them so hard) and the c-clip eliminators hold up very well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
You're such a spaz. It's been installed since 11-11-07.
I must be a 'spaz' too... Has it been that long???
Quote:
Originally Posted by +GRAVES+ View Post
So the guys testing these (and you guys that just posted) are running stock shafts with lockers?
I ran the c-clip eliminators with stock diff and only recently install a limited slip (because I broke my spider gears again). Maybe someday I will install some kind of locker.

axletest.jpg   hpim0814.jpg   jeep-blk-4.jpg   jimmys-wheelie88.jpg  
Unread 04-02-2009, 09:02 AM   #77
NotURMailman
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Not to hijack, but... anybody running c-clip eliminator and super 35 kit (or does the super kit already eliminate the c-clips?).
NotURMailman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2009, 10:06 AM   #78
never monday
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by les.delancy View Post
Not to hijack, but... anybody running c-clip eliminator and super 35 kit (or does the super kit already eliminate the c-clips?).
yes a 30 spline version is out there, and has been tested successful. No a standard S35 kit does not eliminate the c-clips.
never monday is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2009, 09:05 AM   #79
CCJ
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Is it true that the Detroit TruTrac is only available in 27 spline for the D35?
If so, then I can only assume that when I order my S35 kit I need to ask for the 27spline version for the reason above?
Lastly, I plan on going 4.88's F/R do I need to change out my pumpkin to a bigger one or can I use my stock pumpkin?
CCJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2009, 09:22 AM   #80
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Yes it is true that the Detroit Truetrac is only available for the Dana 35c in a 27 spline version.

If you buy the true Super 35 kit from Superior Axle, it comes with a choice of full case 30 spline lockers including ARB Air Locker, Detroit Locker, and I think now the E-Locker from Eaton too. So there is no Truetrac or other limited slip differential option for the 30 spline Super 35 kit. Caution that there are a few "fake" Super 35 kits that copied Superior Axle's Super 35 name that include slightly stronger 27 spline axle shafts but I would avoid them as not worth the $$$ or effort needed to install them.

Your Dana 35c's axle housing (aka pumpkin) is fine for 4.88 gearing as is, though depending on what ratio you have now, you may need front and/or rear gear carriers (aka cases) that go inside the pumpkin. The carrier sells for $60-70 and is what holds the spider gears and also what the ring gear bolts to.

HOWEVER, if you want a stronger rear axle and a Detroit Truetrac, you can go with Superior Axle's C-Clip Eliminator Kit which allows the use of a 27 spline Detroit Truetrac while giving your rear axle substantial more strength. Its track record is such that I don't think anyone has come close to breaking one yet, from what I hear.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2009, 09:24 AM   #81
never monday
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Skip the true track and get a real locker.
Then you can have 30 spline
Unread 09-14-2009, 12:40 PM   #82
CCJ
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
Yes it is true that the Detroit Truetrac is only available for the Dana 35c in a 27 spline version.

If you buy the true Super 35 kit from Superior Axle, it comes with a choice of full case 30 spline lockers including ARB Air Locker, Detroit Locker, and I think now the E-Locker from Eaton too. So there is no Truetrac or other limited slip differential option for the 30 spline Super 35 kit. Caution that there are a few "fake" Super 35 kits that copied Superior Axle's Super 35 name that include slightly stronger 27 spline axle shafts but I would avoid them as not worth the $$$ or effort needed to install them.

Your Dana 35c's axle housing (aka pumpkin) is fine for 4.88 gearing as is, though depending on what ratio you have now, you may need front and/or rear gear carriers (aka cases) that go inside the pumpkin. The carrier sells for $60-70 and is what holds the spider gears and also what the ring gear bolts to.

HOWEVER, if you want a stronger rear axle and a Detroit Truetrac, you can go with Superior Axle's C-Clip Eliminator Kit which allows the use of a 27 spline Detroit Truetrac while giving your rear axle substantial more strength. Its track record is such that I don't think anyone has come close to breaking one yet, from what I hear.
Perfect, S35 c-clip eliminator in 27 spline format seems for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by never monday View Post
Skip the true track and get a real locker.
Then you can have 30 spline
I'd love to but don't want to mess with the air compressor and all that. Plus I don't really see rocks. Just trails and occasional mud. The E-locker would be great but I keep hearing bad things about them via google search. I haven't read JP magazines latest article though where they do a locker shoot out. I'll have to read that.
Unread 09-14-2009, 12:59 PM   #83
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCJ View Post
Perfect, S35 c-clip eliminator in 27 spline format seems for me.

I'd love to but don't want to mess with the air compressor and all that. Plus I don't really see rocks. Just trails and occasional mud. The E-locker would be great but I keep hearing bad things about them via google search. I haven't read JP magazines latest article though where they do a locker shoot out. I'll have to read that.
You can't get a S35 (Super 35) in a 27 spline format but the C-clip Eliminator Kit from Superior Axle works fine by itself for 27 spline axle shafts, it is a stand-alone product that does not require a Super 35 kit to work.

So far as lockers go, Eaton's E-Locker actually has earned a very good reputation and one of our mods in this forum, Wheelin98TJ, is very happy with his. You might have read bad things/comments about the ECTED locker that has earned a less than stellar reputation.

One of the lockers available in the Super 35 kit is a Detroit Locker which is what I run. It's pretty much bulletproof and is fine in a daily-driver TJ. The only situation I wouldn't want to run my Detroit Locker in would be on roads that are slick from ice or on ice-covered trails.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2009, 01:50 PM   #84
CCJ
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
You can't get a S35 (Super 35) in a 27 spline format but the C-clip Eliminator Kit from Superior Axle works fine by itself for 27 spline axle shafts, it is a stand-alone product that does not require a Super 35 kit to work.

So far as lockers go, Eaton's E-Locker actually has earned a very good reputation and one of our mods in this forum, Wheelin98TJ, is very happy with his. You might have read bad things/comments about the ECTED locker that has earned a less than stellar reputation.

One of the lockers available in the Super 35 kit is a Detroit Locker which is what I run. It's pretty much bulletproof and is fine in a daily-driver TJ. The only situation I wouldn't want to run my Detroit Locker in would be on roads that are slick from ice or on ice-covered trails.
As per usual, thanks JB for clarifying that 27spline C-clip confusion. Dually noted. I'm hoping JP has some good reviews on the E-locker for their shoot out.
I'll go and check out some of Wheelin's posts about this locker. Thanks JB
Unread 09-14-2009, 11:13 PM   #85
CRAWLING 98
Rock Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by +GRAVES+ View Post
So the guys testing these (and you guys that just posted) are running stock shafts with lockers?
I am still running the C-clip eliminators; and as the first tester I am very happy with them.

The only issue I had with them is the weakest spot is the gears now (open differential) . I have broken the spider gear twice. I run 33" tires and 3.73 gears. I would recommend the c-clip to anyone and everyone.
Unread 09-15-2009, 05:57 AM   #86
Weeeee
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4grey88 View Post
I am still running the C-clip eliminators; and as the first tester I am very happy with them.

The only issue I had with them is the weakest spot is the gears now (open differential) . I have broken the spider gear twice. I run 33" tires and 3.73 gears. I would recommend the c-clip to anyone and everyone.
newbie ? What would you do to keep breaking the spider gears on the open diff?
Weeeee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-15-2009, 07:33 AM   #87
CCJ
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4grey88 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weeeee View Post
newbie ? What would you do to keep breaking the spider gears on the open diff?
Yea what he asked.
Unread 09-15-2009, 10:08 PM   #88
CRAWLING 98
Rock Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Well I have this point and shoot style of Jeeping (so I am told)

Not a newbie, Been Jeepin for a good many years, If you knew axles then one would know that the weakest point will break. I have seen many people break the shafts on the easiest of days. After changing the shafts the weakest point is the gears. I have seen a friend explode a 4.88 gear on his dana 30.
broken-gear3.jpg  
Unread 09-21-2009, 04:04 PM   #89
cragrat
2006 TJ Wrangler 

i want to keep my truetrac

i can use the c clip eliminator, 27 spline, and keep my truetrac. can i still regear to 4.56 for my 33"s. if so this is awesome never can save up enough coin for the regear and the super 35.
more like i can't talk the wifey into letting me save up for it.
cragrat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-21-2009, 05:28 PM   #90
Rubicon_Rob04
2004 TJ Wrangler 

grey88 he is saying his question is a newbie question not implying you don't know what you are talking about.

I have the kit in my axle and would recommend it as well.
Rubicon_Rob04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.