Dana 30 options - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Dana 30 options

Want to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under We have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!Flowmaster Overstock: Special Holiday Pricing!!!!

Unread 12-05-2013, 10:12 AM   #1
JRMiller
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Dana 30 options

I have recently swapped out my rear 3.07 gears with 4.11's and a trac-loc posi carrier. I am happy with the gear ratio and have decided to go ahead and do the fronts. I was just wondering what options I should consider as a traction device, or if i should just run the open Diff? I have a dana 35 so I do not plan on doing any really heavy wheeling, so should I just go the cheap way and run open in the front? If you do run your front end open, how does it perform of road?

Thanks, Jeremy

JRMiller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-05-2013, 10:27 AM   #2
afusco1222
2003 TJ Wrangler 

If you can find a dana 30 with 4.10s and an open carrier, that would be your cheapest option. Adding a Detroit trutrac would help out with traction but that's about 500 for the part alone. Install would be more expensive. It really depends if you are going offroad or not when deciding to put a locker in the front of your Jeep.
afusco1222 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-05-2013, 11:14 AM   #3
Zombi
1999 TJ Wrangler 

An open front is unnoticeable on-road, I've survived several New England winters being open front and rear.
some say it's less eventful in snow conditions to be open in the front vs locked.
The argument I've heard from people with lunchbox type lockers in the front is that they tend to snowplow when turning whereas an open front would still have some control.
Zombi's are in fact very unpleasant to be around, they smell, and bite--also, they eat babies.
Zombi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-05-2013, 11:42 AM   #4
2k2wranglerx
2003 TJ Wrangler 

ya if you put a lunchbox in the front in 4x4 you have to drive with the throttle for sure.
Unread 12-05-2013, 06:21 PM   #5
durango-bob
2000 TJ Wrangler 

For the cost of a regear, you will be quite a bit ahead by just buying a used axle from any 4 cyl TJ. And I ran a lunchbox locker in the front axle for many years. It is invisible when in 2wd and adds great traction when in 4wd. And don't believe all the horror stories about the world coming to an end when you drive in snow with a front locker. I've driven hundreds of miles in snow with a front locker in 4wd without a problem. Just drive sensibly for the conditions and enjoy the extra traction and control.
durango-bob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-05-2013, 07:36 PM   #6
zeke8
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Unless you are going to re gear yourself or know some one who will help you do it, its better buying a used dana 30 with 4.10's. There easy to find for $100 and you will have a spare pair of shafts if you break one. Front axles are normally in much better condition then the rear axels cause most guys don't drive in 4x4 all day long(at least in the windsor area), so there isn't the same wear on them cause they just free wheel most of there life. If you end up buying a bad used axle you will at least have the carrier which you will need to buy if you regear cause the 3.07 carrier wont work with 4.10 gears and you will have spare shafts.
zeke8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-06-2013, 10:23 AM   #7
JRMiller
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Can you run 4.10's in the front with 4.11's in the back?
JRMiller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-06-2013, 10:24 AM   #8
Mulvihill64

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Yes, that will be fine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.