Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Dana 30 HP gear pattern help

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  b1bjetmech 
#1 ·
I would like some feedback on the gear pattern I currently have for my Dana 30 HP gear set. See the below pictures. Keep in mind the drive side is the flatter side, and the coast side is the angled side (the opposite of most setups)

The first picture shows the coast side, and the second picture is the drive side.

I'm thinking my pinion depth might be just a tad off.

My backlash is at .008 - which is right in the middle of the recommended backlash in the instructions.

Moderators - I unintentionally added this same thread to the "What did you do to your TJ Today" thread on page 7362 instead of creating a new thread. I tried to delete it but I couldn't. Please delete it for me and let this be the stand alone thread.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Shallow is what I figured as well. Considering the original oil slinger (under the aft inner bearing) was .062, and the new one was .030, I compensated what I thought was enough on the pinion depth, but apparently not quite enough. Just wanted to see if I was thinking correctly. Thanks for the input!

BTW - the HP Dana 30 is much easier to mess with because it doesn't have that crazy crush sleeve - just shims to get the correct running torque/preload. The only drawback is that you have to remove the aft bearing outer race to change the pinion depth - but no biggie really - just tedious work.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.