Dana 30 Detroit EZ Locker - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Dana 30 Detroit EZ Locker

Poison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-Load

Unread 02-18-2007, 05:55 PM   #1
UTWeezul
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Dana 30 Detroit EZ Locker

Does anyone have any problems with their Detroit EZ Lockers? Mine is making a ton of popping and clicking noises and the steering wheel jerks every time. I think my buddy has a Powertrax Lockright in his and it is really quiet. Just seeing if anyone else is having these problems. It is really bad under heavy acceleration but it looks fine when I opened the diff. Thanks in advance

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsvQjsUualE

HP30 and 8.8 w/ lockers

Last edited by UTWeezul; 02-18-2007 at 06:19 PM.. Reason: Added a video
UTWeezul is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-18-2007, 05:56 PM   #2
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Does this problem occur in 2wd?

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.
Jerry Bransford is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-18-2007, 05:58 PM   #3
UTWeezul
1998 TJ Wrangler 

No, it is only in 4hi and 4low but more pronounced in 4low
HP30 and 8.8 w/ lockers
Unread 02-18-2007, 06:01 PM   #4
FLATFENDER54
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I had the same problems with mine - Detroit EZ lockers are junk. I have a thread on here from about 6 months ago (maybe a year??) Anyways a facotry rep told me they sent a a huge batch that were or more or less no good (almost out of factory tolerances) They were nice enough to sell them anyway. Ill see if I can find my old thread
FLATFENDER54 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-18-2007, 06:03 PM   #5
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

In 4Hi and 4Lo, any front locker will be more difficult to steer but it shouldn't be that bad when you're offroad. Perhaps something is wrong with it if it's that's bad offroad. But if you're driving in 4Hi or 4Lo on pavement or other high traction surface, the symptoms you describe would be normal for any front automatic locker.

However, the EZ-Locker does have probably the least desirable reputation for manners among the most popular lunchbox lockers.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.
Jerry Bransford is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-18-2007, 06:07 PM   #6
FLATFENDER54
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Heres a few:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/do-not-buy-detroit-ez-locker-factory-sends-out-bad-batch-please-read-303732/

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/please-help-me-fellow-jeepers-colorado-trip-5-days-303425/
FLATFENDER54 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-18-2007, 06:18 PM   #7
UTWeezul
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Added a video

Just added a video on YouTube of me going up a snow covered hill so it wasn't a high traction surface. Turn up the volume and you can hear the locker...especially at the end of the video.

It appears to be taking a minute to process the video on YouTube as well...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsvQjsUualE
HP30 and 8.8 w/ lockers
Unread 02-18-2007, 06:52 PM   #8
kingvm
2005 WK 

I had the same problem with mine, and tech support did not provide much help.

Just before I removed it, I sent an email inquiry about this problem but after a few days of no response I decided to just remove it and do something else.

About 3 days after I pulled it, I recieved a call from a regional marketing rep and he said that he thought that he had found an answer. This does not happen on all jeeps but seemed to be more prevalent in the newer ones. He said that jeep had started machining a flat spot on the end of the crosspin on some models and he felt like that was my problem.

Since I had already removed it and sent on down the road via ebay, I did not pursue this any further but I am pretty sure that I remember a flat spot on one of my crosspins, but since I had both the front and rear diffs opened up within about one months time I could not be sure that it was the front one.

That may be why you see some of the other lunchbox locker vendors providing or at least recommending a new crosspin.

I don't know if this is on the right track or not, but it made more sense to me than any other explanations I had seen. If you look at detail pics of any of the lunchbox lockers you will notice that the are all virtually the same unit with just slight differences in pin/spring configuration.
Unread 02-18-2007, 07:38 PM   #9
McLovin
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLATFENDER54
I had the same problems with mine - Detroit EZ lockers are junk. I have a thread on here from about 6 months ago (maybe a year??) Anyways a facotry rep told me they sent a a huge batch that were or more or less no good (almost out of factory tolerances) They were nice enough to sell them anyway. Ill see if I can find my old thread
Thats funny I had the same thing happen about 6 months ago. Thier tech support was absolutely worthless. I had one "tech" tell me I needed to run hubs with an EZ locker in order for it to work. I had another "tech" tell me they had no recomended tollerances for clearences. I had another "tech" tech tell me to send it back and buy a tru track which would be a "better locker" anyway . Then I finally got ahold of someone who told me that the had indeed had a huge problem with the dana 30 ez lockers. He said they had recieved tons and tons of them back but didnt know what the problem was.

I honestly worked on mine alot. I tried one of those high strength cross shafts fearing mine was worn or out of spec, I tried adding extra side gear thrust washers, tried different springs, added a cap to the end of each spring. I returned two seperate lockers before giving up.

If you want a lunch box locker go with aussie first and lockright 2nd.
McLovin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-18-2007, 09:32 PM   #10
jimaug87
2005 TJ Wrangler 

i had an aussie in my YJ, worked great. when i finally purchase a TJ, its getting an aussie

p.s. anyone selling a black 6cyl 5spd TJ with 3.73's?
jimaug87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.