2Likes
  • 1 Post By LJ Dave
  • 1 Post By goducks3620

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 02-14-2016, 08:05 AM Thread Starter
KLjeep99
1999 TJ Wrangler 

The damned TJ mirror brackets and hinges

Yeah, the prior owner tried in vain to cover the corroded side mirror mounts and tailgate hinges, but alas, the paint is flaking in this ridiculous winter weather and I am torn between fixing them myself, taking the Jeep to the 4X4 shop and let them do it, or buying new ones. I know the paint needs to be removed, then they need to be stripped down as much as possible, primed, painted, etc.... I'm not afraid to do any of it.

Here's the real question: Quadratech mirrors don't say "JEEP" on the top edge like the originals. That is crucial for me. It's a girl thing, I guess. A perfect solution would be that I could simply replace the bracket and not the mirror and its housing... those are fine. It's just the bracket, as you all know. Is there a way to keep the original mirror but replace the bracket?

Secondary question, the best place to get matching paint? The hinges on the back are body color. I might just replace those entirely with black ones that aren't made of pot metal. They're a mess, but still fully functional. Also, are there caps that can be put on the hard top glass hinges? Jeep used such crappy metal.... why????

I guess that was more than one secondary question.

Thanks for any feedback.

Last edited by KLjeep99; 02-14-2016 at 09:00 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 02-14-2016, 09:09 AM
rondak46
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Don't bother painting or repairing the mirrors. The aluminum is rotting and can't be stopped and it is nasty, caustic stuff if you try to sand or grind it. Get the newer style TJ molded plastic mirrors. I don't know about the tailgate hinges and I'll be waiting to hear recommendations myself.
post #3 of 12 Old 02-14-2016, 09:23 AM
hokahay
2003 TJ Wrangler 

"the hinges on the back are body color. I might just replace those entirely with black ones that aren't made of pot metal. "

I am pretty sure the tailgate hinges are aluminum if that is what you are referencing. I will be replacing my tailgate with a new mopar one soon. I am going to let the body shop deal with repainting the hinges since the tailgate needs paint anyway. My understanding is they are a pita to get off. If you mean the liftgate, I replaced my liftgate hinges with Kentrol stainless. This was painless.
post #4 of 12 Old 02-14-2016, 09:33 AM Thread Starter
KLjeep99
1999 TJ Wrangler 

No, the tailgate hinges. The liftgate (rear window) hinges are also crappily painted over, but holding their own.

The corrosion is ugly, for sure. Each week that passes, a little more paint chips off. I am fairly sure that the guy who owned her before me just slapped some brush-on black paint on the mirrors. The hinges on the back have so much bubbling under the paint that I'm not sure if he ever actually cleaned off old paint to coat with new. If he did, he did a crappy job. The paint on the rest of my Jeep is flawless.

I'll have a soft top on come summer time and the mirrors won't be an issue. I'm going to pick up some that slide into the hinge to maintain "legal". But the rear door hinges are just ugly.
post #5 of 12 Old 02-14-2016, 10:31 AM
LJ Dave
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I bought san old set of used pre-2003 mirrors to use when my doors are off on my 05 LJ. Both mirrors had that white corrosion and flaking paint all over the metal arms that mount the mirrors. I used a wire wheel on my bench grinder along with some sand paper for the tight spots to completely strip them down to bare metal, then primed and painted them black again using just the basic rattle can paint and primer from ACE hardware. That was 10 years ago and they still look great. Like all painting projects, the key to good results is in the prep. It was not a hard job and was totally worth the effort because they can look like new again.
KLjeep99 likes this.

2005 Rubicon LJ 4.5 inches of lift, 35's
post #6 of 12 Old 02-14-2016, 02:34 PM
Maverickxeo
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Try to buy a set of 03-06 mirrors... they are way better; as that the glass only moves (not the whole thing) so they stay in place, and are plastic so the paint doesnt corrode. I love mine.
post #7 of 12 Old 02-14-2016, 03:25 PM
goducks3620
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I replaced my tailgate hinges with the Kentrol black ones. I let my shop do it for $100, since I didn't want to mess with any stripped bolts. I have a dark green Jeep and they look fine. I think the later TJs had black plastic covered tailgate hinges anyway so it's not a big deal for me as long as they're not chrome. And yeah, the Bestop newer style mirrors are the easiest replacement for the awful early TJ factory ones. I'm pretty dedicated to keeping my TJ stock-ish but little things like this are OK with me.
post #8 of 12 Old 02-14-2016, 05:20 PM
hokahay
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by goducks3620 View Post
I replaced my tailgate hinges with the Kentrol black ones. I let my shop do it for $100, since I didn't want to mess with any stripped bolts. I have a dark green Jeep and they look fine. I think the later TJs had black plastic covered tailgate hinges anyway so it's not a big deal for me as long as they're not chrome. And yeah, the Bestop newer style mirrors are the easiest replacement for the awful early TJ factory ones. I'm pretty dedicated to keeping my TJ stock-ish but little things like this are OK with me.
I am tempted to get Kentrol for my tailgate as well. I replaced all the other hinges with them already. Might be cheaper than redoing the originals. The important thing with replacing fooling with the hinges is needs protection behind the hinge. Jeep put the hinges on and then painted. So changing/reinstalling hinges requires special care to prevent rust.
post #9 of 12 Old 02-14-2016, 05:32 PM Thread Starter
KLjeep99
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by goducks3620 View Post
Yeah, I'll probably have the shop do the hinges on the tailgate for me. That's not something I'm comfortable with messing around with. They'll have the proper touch up paint, too. And know how to treat the bare metal underneath. (I'll be sure to point that out to them... thanks hokahay above)

I'll probably mess around with the mirrors myself once the weather breaks and my hands don't threaten to shatter in the cold.

Question: Do pretty much all the bolts and screws on a Jeep require a Torx set? I'll need to go pick one up before Spring.

NASA found a 9th planet right after David Bowie died. Name it "Major Tom"
post #10 of 12 Old 02-14-2016, 05:40 PM
hokahay
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLjeep99 View Post
Yeah, I'll probably have the shop do the hinges on the tailgate for me. That's not something I'm comfortable with messing around with. They'll have the proper touch up paint, too. And know how to treat the bare metal underneath. (I'll be sure to point that out to them... thanks hokahay above)

I'll probably mess around with the mirrors myself once the weather breaks and my hands don't threaten to shatter in the cold.

Question: Do pretty much all the bolts and screws on a Jeep require a Torx set? I'll need to go pick one up before Spring.
I won't say all, but the hinges are. Jeep also used locktite on the hinges. They need heat, patience, exactly the correct torx head and an impact wrench to remove. And sometimes even easyouts.

I think kentrol recommends silicon sealer behind their hinges. I asked one shop to be extra careful. Oh ya they said no problem. But, they didn't. The good news was not loctite the second time around.
post #11 of 12 Old 02-15-2016, 08:17 AM
goducks3620
1998 TJ Wrangler 

yeah, a Torx set is a must. You don't need every size but you need several of them so might as well buy the set. Everytime I go to fiddle with the Jeep on something I've not touched before I am oh-so-happy to find another Torx-head screw. Even the !@#$ seats are bolted to the floor with at least one T50 bolt for each seat, put in by some passive-aggressive worker at the Toledo factory years ago. I personally replacement them for a more normal one whenever I encounter.
KLjeep99 likes this.
post #12 of 12 Old 03-30-2016, 05:33 PM
hokahay
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hokahay View Post
"the hinges on the back are body color. I might just replace those entirely with black ones that aren't made of pot metal. "

I am pretty sure the tailgate hinges are aluminum if that is what you are referencing. I will be replacing my tailgate with a new mopar one soon. I am going to let the body shop deal with repainting the hinges since the tailgate needs paint anyway. My understanding is they are a pita to get off. If you mean the liftgate, I replaced my liftgate hinges with Kentrol stainless. This was painless.
And the results are in. Screws came out nicely, no heat required. Hinges were beadblasted and repainted along with a new tailgate and such. The hinges look like new to me and are indeed aluminum.

The end result:
Attached Thumbnails
newtailgateisnew.jpg  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.