D44 Swap Process - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > D44 Swap Process

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete

Unread 09-03-2009, 08:22 PM   #1
missionAvs

2004 TJ Wrangler 

D44 Swap Process

Hey guys so I just pulled the trigger on a D44 out of a TJ w/ tracloc and 3.73 gears . I have been searching for a little while now but have not found a write-up that explains the process step by step on a TJ. I read Stu Olsons install of a super 44 but he didn't really describe the install step by step. I am just wondering what order I should remove and reinstall bolts in (CA's, Trackbar, shocks etc...) Also can someone give me the run down on removing and reinstalling break lines? BTW My toolset includes four 6 ton jack stands, a capable floor jack, a few ratchet and wrench sets, and at least one buddy is coming over.
Thanks a bunch guys
BTW I have done several suspension lifts in which I have replaced the CA's and trackbar.

Last edited by missionAvs; 09-03-2009 at 08:34 PM..
missionAvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2009, 09:30 PM   #2
George Dickel

1998 TJ Wrangler 

It ain't rocket science. Take the old one out and put the new one in. You've got enough experience to knock this out quickly. Is this also a brake upgrade (drum to disc)? If so, you'll need new e-brake cables. Keep searching because I have gone as far as listing the part numbers on those cables here before...
12 Counterweight 258 Crank (cut snout-casting #3214723), Sealed Power +.030 Hypereutectic Pistons, 5.875" Connecting Rods, CompCams 68-231-4, Ported/Polished Head, Edelbrock Header, 24# Ford Blue-top Injectors, 63mm bored OEM Throttle Body, Port matched Intake, Autolite Platinum plugs, Accel Coil, LiveWires Distributor & Wires, Centerforce Clutch, Hurst Shifter, modified Mustang GT Air Cannister - CAI, 18" Magnaflow and 2 1/2" exhaust, Balanced Rotating Assembly, Custom PCM tune.
Yeah, I built it!

Exhaust clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwUOa...ature=youtu.be

'04 Mustang GT, 4.6L
Light modifications

Read more, Post less, Search often
George Dickel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2009, 09:43 PM   #3
missionAvs

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Dickel View Post
It ain't rocket science. Take the old one out and put the new one in. You've got enough experience to knock this out quickly. Is this also a brake upgrade (drum to disc)? If so, you'll need new e-brake cables. Keep searching because I have gone as far as listing the part numbers on those cables here before...
I just wanted some reassurance I guess. Thanks for the reply, but just to answer your question, it is a drum brake set-up so I think all of the lines will just transfer over. Thanks for the reply!
Unread 09-03-2009, 09:50 PM   #4
fishinjeeper
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Jeep Wrangler Dana 44 Swap from Jeep Cherokee

hope this helps
Unread 09-03-2009, 10:08 PM   #5
hyperboarder
1992 XJ Cherokee 

It's easy, track bar gave me the biggest hassle. It'll probably take a couple hours.
hyperboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2009, 07:47 AM   #6
rondak46
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I would not do it without 1/2" drive sockets and a torque wrench.
rondak46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2009, 10:19 AM   #7
missionAvs

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rondak46 View Post
I would not do it without 1/2" drive sockets and a torque wrench.
Forgot to mention, but I have those as well. The thing I know least about is how to transfer brake lines over. The 44 comes with drum brakes and the e-brake cable attached.
Thanks for the help guys!
Unread 09-04-2009, 11:09 AM   #8
mikesbeachhut
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I installed a d-44 with no problems .Jack it up on 2 stands wheels off floor,take off wheels ,slide floor jack/wheels under diff pumpkin & jack up till it lifts the rear about an inch ,disconnect the drive shaft first,brake lines,emerg brake cables,lower shock bolts,lower trackbar bolt,sway arm links, axle side control arm bolts,. Just pull rear out put new rear in,connect back up in reverse fashion.I used a impact wrench to make it easy,if not use a big breaker bar & box wrenches.A word of advice-before you take things apart GO OVER EVER BOLT YOU HAVE TO TAKE OFF & MAKE SURE YOU CAN BREAK THEM LOOSE ,IF NOT RENT AN IMPACT WRENCH.
mikesbeachhut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2009, 11:13 AM   #9
hyperboarder
1992 XJ Cherokee 

E-brake cables will annoy you, but will eventually give. As for the regular lines, you should be able to attach your stock hose to the distributor on the 44. You'll need to bleed the system afterwards.
hyperboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2009, 12:25 PM   #10
reesemoe
2004 TJ Wrangler 

make sure you put up lots of pics

www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/building-roxy-860189/
reesemoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2009, 01:12 PM   #11
CCJ
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Dickel View Post
LOL @this response.
CCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2009, 02:18 PM   #12
missionAvs

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Ok so I've got the D44 in sitting in the garage ready for the swap. I had just one last question regarding the axle breather hose. Do you just pull it off the breather tube with pliers or is there another way to do it? Thanks for the help everyone, im probably going to do the swap this weekend or the next. I'll post pics here.
Unread 09-16-2009, 02:31 PM   #13
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Just pull it off.....
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2009, 02:54 PM   #14
littledevilTJ
2004 TJ Wrangler 

yup, just yank it off, put it on the new axle with a hose clamp.

Florida Specific Forum
www.floridajeepers.net
littledevilTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2009, 02:54 PM   #15
jazzman31
2010 JK Wrangler 

Just jack it up far off the ground, your gonna need full axle droop. Put jackstands in front of the control arm mounts, and start taking stuff apart. It took me 3 hours to pop that crap 35 out and 3 hours to put the new 44 in. The track bar is the worst. But the new axle on the jack put the yoke in the middle of the ring part balance it and slowly jack into place, I put the upper control arms on first then the lowers then then springs and finally the track bar.

You have the tools, Just man up. Use your head and get after it.

I just recently done my this last weekend.
jazzman31 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.