D44 disk brake backing plate - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > D44 disk brake backing plate

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!3" BDS Suspension Lift Kit - Jeep JK 07-11Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 08-26-2015, 11:09 AM   #1
dlysle
2006 LJ Wrangler 

D44 disk brake backing plate

does the raised lip on the backing plate face in toward the diff or out toward the tire?

'four wheel drive only allows you to get stuck in more inaccessible places' - George Noll
dlysle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2015, 11:49 AM   #2
RWKHaus
1990 XJ Cherokee 

the lip faces in towards the diff.
Unread 08-26-2015, 02:40 PM   #3
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlysle View Post
does the raised lip on the backing plate face in toward the diff or out toward the tire?
The backing plate is what the caliper bolts to that has the parking brake shoes attached to it.

There is a 4 bolt axle retainer that goes on top of the backing plate to hold the axle in.

There is a shaft collar that acts as a bearing retainer that presses onto the axle.

What one are you confused about?
mrblaine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2015, 02:58 PM   #4
RWKHaus
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
The backing plate is what the caliper bolts to that has the parking brake shoes attached to it.

There is a 4 bolt axle retainer that goes on top of the backing plate to hold the axle in.

There is a shaft collar that acts as a bearing retainer that presses onto the axle.

What one are you confused about?
Come on Blaine. You know what he was asking. Or at least what it sure sounds like he was asking. There is only one item with a "lip" that can be mislabeled like that.

The axle shaft Seal retainer plate lip faces(protrudes) on the side with the axle seal (inward), on a common disc brake setup D44 rear axle.

Better?
Unread 08-26-2015, 03:40 PM   #5
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWKHaus View Post
Come on Blaine. You know what he was asking. Or at least what it sure sounds like he was asking. There is only one item with a "lip" that can be mislabeled like that.

The axle shaft Seal retainer plate lip faces(protrudes) on the side with the axle seal (inward), on a common disc brake setup D44 rear axle.

Better?
Actually I don't because there is a backing plate with a dust shield that has a lip on it that can be put on either direction.

And NO ONE would ever call a retainer a backing plate that expected a sensible answer.

No worries though, the next time you send me money for loaded backing plates for a disc brake conversion, I will remember this post and more than happily send over a pair of disc brake axle retainers along with a copy of this thread.

I strongly suspect your demand for accurate nomenclature will rise accordingly and in dramatic fashion.
Unread 08-27-2015, 09:14 AM   #6
dlysle
2006 LJ Wrangler 

i was asking about the retaining plate that holds the axle in. thanks for the help.

'four wheel drive only allows you to get stuck in more inaccessible places' - George Noll
dlysle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-27-2015, 10:05 AM   #7
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlysle View Post
i was asking about the retaining plate that holds the axle in. thanks for the help.
The raised lip on the disc brake style axle retainer is exactly taller off the flat surface by the difference in thickness of the cast disc brake backing plate and the stamped steel drum brake backing plate. So, that means it has to point at the seal to keep the bearing in preload.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.