D35 took a crap! Repair carrier/spider gears or upgrade to D44? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > D35 took a crap! Repair carrier/spider gears or upgrade to D44?

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 05-22-2012, 11:30 AM   #1
HootenTJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

D35 took a crap! Repair carrier/spider gears or upgrade to D44?

D35 spider gears shredded, broken carrier, and possibly need new ring and pinion. I have the 2.5L engine and one day would like to put in a I6 but that's not happening for a couple years. If I put in a super 35 kit would the 4.0 handle it or would I be setting myself up for a breakdown? Also if I decide to do the work myself would a basic home garage be able to do it or am I looking at special tools and equipment needed to swap carrier/spider gears? I've swaped my 2.5L engine before but have never tackled any axle work. Thanks for all feedback.

Unread 05-22-2012, 12:14 PM   #2
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Have you looked for another d35 for cheap?...
Unread 05-22-2012, 12:23 PM   #3
FarmerinVA
Just a flatlander

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HootenTJ View Post
D35 ... possibly need new ring and pinion
That's a big variable because it adds so much to the price and the time-out-of-service.

IMHO, new R&P is the clincher. Cost-wise, it's hard to justify the Super 35 kit if you are doing a new R&P at the same time. The Super 35 kit makes more sense if you are building in stages.

Plus there is the question of why you broke the D35 carrier. If it isn't a total fluke, the Jeep gods are telling you that you need a stronger pumpkin, not a second chance for the D35.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/ex...hafts-1234745/
FarmerinVA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-22-2012, 12:40 PM   #4
hallsofstone
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Ford 8.8 should not be ruled out of this decision. Tons of discussion on this topic (D44, S35, 8.8) if you use the search function. TJ D44's are not exactly easy to find.

In any event, this may be a good opportunity for you to regear.

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats."
H. L. Mencken - US editor (1880 - 1956)

K.C.C.O. [url]www.thechive.com[/url]
hallsofstone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-22-2012, 01:05 PM   #5
tdavid14
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Consider this: most experienced folks here think putting an I6 in an SE is too hard compared to going all the way to a V8. So I would opt for the strongest axles you can afford.
tdavid14 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-22-2012, 01:16 PM   #6
SLADE
2004 TJ Wrangler 

8.8 or Dana 44.
2001 Dodge Ram 2500
SLADE is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-22-2012, 01:17 PM   #7
cfmiller58
1997 TJ Wrangler 

i went for the d44 when my pinion bearing went and only because it just happened to be available and came with a matching front end. if i had the time to do it id go 8.8

The Build
cfmiller58 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-22-2012, 01:18 PM   #8
hallsofstone
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdavid14 View Post
Consider this: most experienced folks here think putting an I6 in an SE is too hard compared to going all the way to a V8. So I would opt for the strongest axles you can afford.
What? I don't think that "too hard" is the case. More like "might as well go big since I have it apart anyway" is more like it. All the same, plenty of people drop in 4.0's after their 2.5's crap out.

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats."

Unread 05-22-2012, 01:48 PM   #9
HootenTJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Can I assume if I decide to go with a Ford 8.8 I would need someone to weld on jeep TJ brackets for the control arms and shocks? I was checking out a bolt on application but quadratec seems pricey for a D44 that's direct bolt on. Again though, is this something I can accomplish in my garage at home with basic tools and will I need a machine shop help or special tools?
Unread 05-22-2012, 01:51 PM   #10
liredneck
1997 TJ Wrangler 

If you looking at 44s from q-tec might as well check out an 8.8 from ECGS . I got mine with 4.10 and a lock right bolt in ready for around $1500 I think
Unread 05-22-2012, 01:52 PM   #11
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HootenTJ View Post
Can I assume if I decide to go with a Ford 8.8 I would need someone to weld on jeep TJ brackets for the control arms and shocks? I was checking out a bolt on application but quadratec seems pricey for a D44 that's direct bolt on. Again though, is this something I can accomplish in my garage at home with basic tools and will I need a machine shop help or special tools?
Yes, the 8.8 will need setup for the TJ coil and link suspension.

Or you can buy ready to bolt in 8.8 axle assemblies from East Coast Gear Supply.
Wheelin98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-22-2012, 01:59 PM   #12
hallsofstone
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Keep an eye on CL for any D44 options that might pop up. You might get lucky like cfmiller58. If I had a turdy-5, I'd be looking at the ECGS 8.8 setup for sure.

Unread 05-22-2012, 04:21 PM   #13
Strings72

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Bought a 57k 8.8 freshened it up and had it under the jeep for 450$ plus I have 4 wheel disc... 8.8 all the way, show me a tj Dana 44 for that money and ill eat my 8.8. Start at one rotor and chow down the whole way to the other

Check out my build: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/s...build-2163649/
Strings72 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-22-2012, 04:36 PM   #14
MayRoll
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hallsofstone View Post
In any event, this may be a good opportunity for you to regear.
x2. If you're going to have a new 8.8 or 44 built gear to 4.88.
MayRoll is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-22-2012, 04:48 PM   #15
merkchop
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I would look around for a used D35, they are cheap if you find one and a lot easier to find than a D44. You can probably run across one out of a 4 banger with the same gears so you would not need to regear.
Biggest question with yours would be if your R/P is bad, if so then you are getting into a lot more money, then comes up the question of gearing better. If you do that, since you are already buying it all and setting it up anyway, you will need to do the front as well, so then you are buying 2 sets of gears and set up.
As for special tools if you do it yourself, yes you will need a few to set up the gears.
merkchop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
axle , d35 , d44 , differential

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.