D35 issues - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 08-19-2014, 06:57 PM Thread Starter
mndog75
2006 TJ Wrangler 

D35 issues

First off I have been a proud 06 X owner(4.0 6 speed) for about 2 years and since day 1 I have been on this site for countless hrs of all things jeep related.I currently have a D35 rear with 3.07 and the pinion bearing or other bearings are grinding real bad and had to park it.A friend of a friend can do the complete bearing job(carrier,pinion,wheel and all related shims and seals) for a labor price of 250-300.00 plus parts.I have located a master bearing set from ECG for 125.00 and am looking at roughly 425.00 for the whole rebuild.My question is am I better off getting a used rear vs getting the rebuild which could cost more if other things are noticed or is that a good deal?(if I swap out the rear I can take my time on the rebuild of the current one and learn how to build it up without being under pressure as its my daily driver and sees 100 plus miles a day).The tech doing the rebuild does it for a living and for sure I trust his skills.On the other hand I can possibly get a used rear(maybe from someone on this site??) and do the job myself and save a few hundred as I need all the savings as possible and can wrench a bit but dont have the skills for the rebuild.What are your opinions,and does anyone have the rear I need for sale??.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-19-2014, 08:10 PM
joe_jeep
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Get a used one on craigslist, or pirate or jeepfourm cheap.

glfwda #6624
2005 rubicon sahara lj #592
post #3 of 8 Old 08-19-2014, 08:18 PM
rikkards
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mndog75 View Post
First off I have been a proud 06 X owner(4.0 6 speed) for about 2 years and since day 1 I have been on this site for countless hrs of all things jeep related.I currently have a D35 rear with 3.07 and the pinion bearing or other bearings are grinding real bad and had to park it.A friend of a friend can do the complete bearing job(carrier,pinion,wheel and all related shims and seals) for a labor price of 250-300.00 plus parts.I have located a master bearing set from ECG for 125.00 and am looking at roughly 425.00 for the whole rebuild.My question is am I better off getting a used rear vs getting the rebuild which could cost more if other things are noticed or is that a good deal?(if I swap out the rear I can take my time on the rebuild of the current one and learn how to build it up without being under pressure as its my daily driver and sees 100 plus miles a day).The tech doing the rebuild does it for a living and for sure I trust his skills.On the other hand I can possibly get a used rear(maybe from someone on this site??) and do the job myself and save a few hundred as I need all the savings as possible and can wrench a bit but dont have the skills for the rebuild.What are your opinions,and does anyone have the rear I need for sale??.

Thanks in advance for your replies.
Depends on how much you really want to learn it. I did my front and rear swap this past winter and the gears came out perfect. I also took a couple months at an hour at a time to do it and learned a lot. But I also spent a pretty penny getting the right tools for the job.

Machete don't tweet
- Machete
post #4 of 8 Old 08-19-2014, 08:25 PM
durango-bob
2000 TJ Wrangler 

You will be a ton of money ahead by just buying a used axle with the same ratio. I would not dump that amount of money into a D35.
post #5 of 8 Old 08-19-2014, 08:44 PM
jski701

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
A lot of people upgrade from that axel and gear ratio, to a ford 8.8 (somewhere in my future) or a D44 if you can find one. So if you don't want to upgrade anything, you can probably find a D35 pretty easy.

I aint saying its right, but I understand......Chris Rock
post #6 of 8 Old 08-19-2014, 10:00 PM
J03_TJ
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Took me about 5 years to sell my D35 w/3.73 gears for $100. I'm sure I could have sold it sooner but only posted it up on local forums and Craigslist probably 4 or 5 times over time. You might post up on the wanted sections out there, hopefully you can find one from someone who doesn't want to overcharge knowing your in need. Would think there has to be hundred of them scattered around. Well maybe not hundreds.
post #7 of 8 Old 08-22-2014, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
mndog75
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I decided to put new bearings in and can utilize the press in the mechanics shop where I work.Jumping in,doesnt look that hard.Have to make sure I get preloads and backlash correct and can use some co workers dial indicator and inch wrench.Will update when I finish the project.
post #8 of 8 Old 06-26-2015, 06:42 AM
jski701

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Ever finish this ?

I aint saying its right, but I understand......Chris Rock

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.