D30 Replacement Options? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > D30 Replacement Options?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 03-30-2009, 08:52 PM   #16
beachboy1200
1997 TJ Wrangler 

well done sir...if everyone one here wasnt about taking there jeep out and pushing it to the limits then we would never see cool stuff like this

beachboy1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2009, 08:57 PM   #17
Greg_Volkman
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by les.delancy View Post
If it were me (which it boviously isn't) I would replace you damaged oieces and install a truss. I'm assuming you bent it by jumping a dune. A D44 housing isn't going to stop that without a truss. Just my
A real Dana 44 housing would have been fine. These Tj dana 44's are weak sauce.
Greg_Volkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2009, 09:49 PM   #18
BYuen
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Your Jeep is happy
BYuen is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2009, 11:07 PM   #19
Yellow TJ
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I upgraded to the G2 (genuine gear-4 wheel parts brand) d44s about a year ago. It seemed to be the most bang for the buck at the time. was about 2300 for a front I believe, 4.56 gearing arb locker, stronger than stock housing, and higher spline count/stronger axle shafts as well. They should treat your future 35's well. Muck like the saying jeeps arent submarines.....well they arent planes either!

Oh, and I hear currie makes a nice tie rod as well.
Yellow TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2009, 11:22 PM   #20
SurfnSnow
2010 JK Wrangler 

Sucks to hear Wade. though it seems like you might need a d44 . you could offset the cost of the d44 with parting out the d30. are the shafts bent?
SurfnSnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2009, 12:00 AM   #21
Danegerous
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I have to say, kinda sounds like your screwed. Either way ya go, you're gonna dump some dough into it. I'm personally going the HP30 route. If I were in your position, I'd simply the the HP30 with a truss system (most likely custom made, I haven't seen a prebuilt one). I just can't see any other cheaper solution...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff88 View Post
I once slipped with a rotary wire brush that burned through my jeans and left a very nice deep gouge in my leg.

If it had been up a little higher, I'd have gone from a rooster to a hen.
Danegerous is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2009, 12:26 AM   #22
SuperWade2
More Money than Brains

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow TJ View Post
Oh, and I hear currie makes a nice tie rod as well.
I heard that too....I guess you can bend them too!
2014 WK2 Overland 5.7L
SuperWade2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2009, 12:27 AM   #23
SuperWade2
More Money than Brains

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfnSnow View Post
Sucks to hear Wade. though it seems like you might need a d44 . you could offset the cost of the d44 with parting out the d30. are the shafts bent?
I don't think so, but not 100% sure yet...just started taking stuff off this evening and didn't get very far....
2014 WK2 Overland 5.7L
Unread 03-31-2009, 01:05 AM   #24
Jeepster83
2003 TJ Wrangler 

theres nothing wrong with your axle. you just made the Jeep smile.

what i would do is go with the HP30 and truss it. however, the truss wont prevent the axle from bending. itll just make it a bit more difficult. to truss it and not have to worry as much about bending it youd have to truss the axle on the bottom which would obviously lower your axle clearance. its easier to crumple a truss on the top of an axle than it is to tear apart a truss on the bottom of the axle - provided the welds are good and strong. thats why you see trophy trucks in baja with a big truss on the bottom of their axles rather than the top.
WyoTech West Sacramento - Graduated 8/19/2011

Back into my Jeep... finally.
Jeepster83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2009, 08:58 AM   #25
SuperWade2
More Money than Brains

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danegerous View Post
I have to say, kinda sounds like your screwed. Either way ya go, you're gonna dump some dough into it. I'm personally going the HP30 route. If I were in your position, I'd simply the the HP30 with a truss system (most likely custom made, I haven't seen a prebuilt one). I just can't see any other cheaper solution...
I don't know why the T&T Customs (Treks) Truss wouldn't work if I will be using a non-vacuum discoed HP D30 Although I'm not 100% sure where I tap the ARB fitting with the truss in place (Mine is at the top of the pumpkin now which looks like it would/should be covered with this truss.

http://www.gotreks.com/page.asp?pageid=126

2014 WK2 Overland 5.7L

Last edited by SuperWade2; 03-31-2009 at 09:10 AM..
Unread 03-31-2009, 09:43 AM   #26
Danegerous
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperWade2 View Post
I don't know why the T&T Customs (Treks) Truss wouldn't work if I will be using a non-vacuum discoed HP D30 Although I'm not 100% sure where I tap the ARB fitting with the truss in place (Mine is at the top of the pumpkin now which looks like it would/should be covered with this truss.

For the ARB, I would simply drill a hole in the top of the truss, maybe reinforce the insides a bit with some tubing straight down, that way you'll have clear access with the truss in place. I'm sure you could figure that one out. Is the TNT for a LP30? I but you're right, that shouldn't interfere with much, if anything. I just never thought 30s would have trusses...then again, they do have lockers...

I've been thinking, since you're in a bit of a bind, I'll give you $500 for your Vancos, then you can go out and pull a HP30 or whatever you want and get back on the road. Consider it a public service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff88 View Post
I once slipped with a rotary wire brush that burned through my jeans and left a very nice deep gouge in my leg.

If it had been up a little higher, I'd have gone from a rooster to a hen.
Danegerous is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2009, 10:13 AM   #27
SurfnSnow
2010 JK Wrangler 

or if you're in a pinch, I found 3 regular d30's (orig from tjs) for under $100. One was for $50, so you could get another d30 truss it and then swap out the parts. It's not an upgrade but it'll get you rolling quickly
SurfnSnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2009, 10:23 AM   #28
SuperWade2
More Money than Brains

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danegerous View Post
I've been thinking, since you're in a bit of a bind, I'll give you $500 for your Vancos, then you can go out and pull a HP30 or whatever you want and get back on the road. Consider it a public service.
While that's a nice offer and all, I think I'll pass ... If I were in a real pinch, I'd yank the D30 and steering (it has my OEM TJ steering and Axle shafts in it now anyhow) off of my Comanche, bolt it on and run it in 2WD (since it's geared @ 4.10's vs 4.56's) until I could get something else setup for the TJ. As it is, I can drive the MJ until I get the TJ back and going.

Once I have the thing off, and can get the free HP D30 now is as good of a time as any to do that upgrade and truss it...

Wade
2014 WK2 Overland 5.7L
Unread 03-31-2009, 12:01 PM   #29
SuperWade2
More Money than Brains

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperWade2 View Post

It looks like those UCA Mounting brackets are probably set up higher than the stock ones on the axle... is there any problem with that, or will I just have to adjust the lengths to get the right angle?
2014 WK2 Overland 5.7L
Unread 03-31-2009, 07:04 PM   #30
SuperWade2
More Money than Brains

1999 TJ Wrangler 

My FREE HP D30 (non-disco)...not sure what year it was out of, and it actually still had the LCA's/springs/shocks/steering (tierod/draglink still on it)... The only thing the guy said he might want back is the Knuckles and Calipers, but he didn't even seem too worried about those

Not sure how I'm going to get it out of the truck by myself, but it'll probably sit there for a couple days...might gut the thing in the bed of the MJ and then get a buddy to help lift it into the garage...

2014 WK2 Overland 5.7L

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.