JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   TJ Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/)
-   -   D30 Replacement Options? (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/d30-replacement-options-742027/)

SuperWade2 03-30-2009 12:02 PM

D30 Replacement Options?
 
I had a little "too" much fun at Pismo Beach over the weekend and am now in a position to consider D30 replacement options :rolleyes: So now that my axle tube is smiling a little bit at me I have to consider how I want to go forward. Looking back, probably not the best investment, but a couple years ago, I got the AlloyUSA Grande 30/30 Kit with ARB... Obviously cost is a concern otherwise I'd run out and buy a new ProRock60 or something, which is just not going to happen, nor really necessary since I still can't see myself going bigger than 35's anytime in the foreseeable future

It seems the least expensive and most direct route would be to find another Low Pinion D30 Housing, install the ARB/R&P and Axles and call it good.

I can get a FREE Hi Pinion XJ D30 Housing, but would then need new rev cut R&P and reinstall everything but have HPD30 instead of LPD30

Another consideration would be to try to find someone to buy the D30 Axle Shafts/ARB/R&P, etc and use that money towards get a D44, but don't know there would be that much difference in strength and probably not be worth the $$$ it would take to get the D44 setup like my D30 today.

I looked at some trusses, but I'm not sure it's worth $300+ (TNT Truss) to truss a basically "free" throwaway housing and would be better to just not "abuse" the Jeep next time I go wheeling at the dunes (or not go back).

Thoughts?

NotURMailman 03-30-2009 12:05 PM

If it were me (which it boviously isn't) I would replace you damaged oieces and install a truss. I'm assuming you bent it by jumping a dune. A D44 housing isn't going to stop that without a truss. Just my:2c:

SuperWade2 03-30-2009 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by les.delancy (Post 6907620)
I'm assuming you bent it by jumping a dune

Multiple jumps/dunes, yah... :oops:

NotURMailman 03-30-2009 12:12 PM

Like I said... a D44 would be bent too. Fix it and truss it. (sound like fun though)!

2005X 03-30-2009 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by les.delancy (Post 6907664)
Like I said... a D44 would be bent too. Fix it and truss it. (sound like fun though)!

or keep all the wheels on the ground:D

robncar 03-30-2009 12:14 PM

Sorry to hear this! How'd you get it home?

Don't you also have Vancos? With your investment, you're kinda stuck like I am.
Perhaps the truss would be the cost effective route?

WillysEdition04 03-30-2009 12:19 PM

I would go for the HP30. You'll only be out new gears/install and you'll gain clearance up front. 30% stronger too. (Won't help for airborn situations, though:laugh:)

Here's a HP30 install thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/low-pinion-d30-hp-dana-30-swap-694533-post6589946/

SuperWade2 03-30-2009 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robncar (Post 6907682)
Sorry to hear this! How'd you get it home?

Don't you also have Vancos? With your investment, you're kinda stuck like I am.
Perhaps the truss would be the cost effective route?

I drove it home, so it's more of a "smirk" than a "smile", now the Currie Tie Rod has significantly more bend to it than the tube does. It was a little wobbly and the tires are a little pigeon toed, but it got home OK (I think)...

Yah, Vanco's are on now so I kind of need to reuse those.

2005X 03-30-2009 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperWade2 (Post 6907730)
I drove it home, so it's more of a "smirk" than a "smile", now the Currie Tie Rod has significantly more bend to it than the tube does. It was a little wobbly and the tires are a little pigeon toed, but it got home OK (I think)...

Yah, Vanco's are on now so I kind of need to reuse those.

then your stuck with a LP or HP30

robncar 03-30-2009 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2005X (Post 6907786)
then your stuck with a LP or HP30

Or an LP D44...

2005X 03-30-2009 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robncar (Post 6909392)
Or an LP D44...

true, but the LP44 doesnt offer any more strength for what he is doing and they generally are more expensive

robncar 03-30-2009 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2005X (Post 6909399)
true, but the LP44 doesnt offer any more strength for what he is doing and they generally are more expensive

Not added strength but it does allow lower gear ratios and would allow him to still use the Vanco brakes he already has.

SuperWade2 03-30-2009 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robncar (Post 6909894)
Not added strength but it does allow lower gear ratios and would allow him to still use the Vanco brakes he already has.

The 4.56's I have are already too low for my 33's (with 3 Spd Auto) and will be about right whenever I move up to 35's... At least "too low" when running 3500 RPM's on the Fwy @ 70mph...

RnEmOvr 03-30-2009 02:54 PM

it doesnt matter what axle you run when it come to jumping you NEED a truss, you will bend 60s with enough air, do a LP or HP 30 and truss it,

SuperWade2 03-30-2009 07:39 PM

Here's a Pic...Bash Away...

http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/9567/img3844r.jpg


The time now is 10:34 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.