D30 pinion oil seal replacement??? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > D30 pinion oil seal replacement???

Trick Tabs - NalinMFG.comCCOR is your 1 stop source for everything Jeep!TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 07-10-2010, 06:17 AM   #31
TeeJay00
2000 TJ Wrangler 

An update on the subject!

So here is what happened.

Another thing on my to do list was to investigate a drive line vibration. I knew the reason had something to do with the front drive shaft. So, I took it to the garage I deal with. We jacked up the car and it turns out that there is a little bit of play in the D30 pinion yoke. It moved up, down, left and right about 4mm !!!

So, he unhooked the front drive shaft off of it, removed the yoke, oil seal, crush sleeve, pinion bearing and checked inside for any damage or anything. Said everything looks fine and started to put the parts back together again.

Now he claims that the pinion nut needs a bit more tightning and this should solve the problem. He cleaned/polished the yoke and the crush sleeve a little bit, put in the new oil seal of course and then kept tightening the damn thing using the impact wrench up to a specific point he had in mind (as he claims) !!!

The vibration is gone and the ride is now a lot smoother than before. But can someone explain to me what did he do and is there anything wrong or scary in what he did???

I'm worried because of all this previous talk about the pinion nut and crush sleeve and how it shouldn't be tight too much

TeeJay00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2010, 06:23 AM   #32
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeJay00 View Post
So here is what happened.

Another thing on my to do list was to investigate a drive line vibration. I knew the reason had something to do with the front drive shaft. So, I took it to the garage I deal with. We jacked up the car and it turns out that there is a little bit of play in the D30 pinion yoke. It moved up, down, left and right about 4mm !!!

So, he unhooked the front drive shaft off of it, removed the yoke, oil seal, crush sleeve, pinion bearing and checked inside for any damage or anything. Said everything looks fine and started to put the parts back together again.

Now he claims that the pinion nut needs a bit more tightning and this should solve the problem. He cleaned/polished the yoke and the crush sleeve a little bit, put in the new oil seal of course and then kept tightening the damn thing using the impact wrench up to a specific point he had in mind (as he claims) !!!

The vibration is gone and the ride is now a lot smoother than before. But can someone explain to me what did he do and is there anything wrong or scary in what he did???

I'm worried because of all this previous talk about the pinion nut and crush sleeve and how it shouldn't be tight too much
A loose yoke nut can cause vibes. Hard to comment specifically on the fix given that your guy used an impact wrench. That was part of bnine's whole point. Cave man approach not really the best here.
Unread 07-10-2010, 06:48 AM   #33
RubiconBlack
2004 TJ Wrangler 

What he had did was crushed the sleeve more to remove the slop. The bearings are worn and the crush sleeve keeps tension on the bearings. You should have replaced the bearings and the crush sleeve if there was play like that. The reasoning I had was if there was no play in the yoke. Sorry for my "Caveman" approach.
RubiconBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2010, 09:09 AM   #34
TeeJay00
2000 TJ Wrangler 

So should I replace the bearings and the sleeve now or or what? Is this currently dangerous???
Unread 07-11-2010, 04:20 AM   #35
RubiconBlack
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Its not dangerous! At this point just run it. It may get noisy again, it may not. Usually if you have the bearings out its best to replace them especially if they are loose like you explained. So for now just enjoy your smoother ride but don't be shocked if it happens again. If it does go bad again, I can post the correct procedure from chrysler for you.
RubiconBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2010, 04:49 AM   #36
TeeJay00
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I see... Thanks
Unread 07-11-2010, 08:05 AM   #37
dragginwagon406
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeJay00 View Post
First, this seal has been changed a couple of years ago
It's quite possible the only reason it was loose is because the nut was loose.

You are supposed to use a new nut (for the locking/holding). If the old nut was reused without any kind of thread locker, it is possible pinion nut simply backed off.

As long as the crush sleeve was not over-flattened, you should be OK. The impact approach would make me nervous, but I'm sure some technicians have a pretty good feel for how tight is right.
dragginwagon406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2010, 11:49 AM   #38
TeeJay00
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragginwagon406 View Post
It's quite possible the only reason it was loose is because the nut was loose.

You are supposed to use a new nut (for the locking/holding). If the old nut was reused without any kind of thread locker, it is possible pinion nut simply backed off.

As long as the crush sleeve was not over-flattened, you should be OK. The impact approach would make me nervous, but I'm sure some technicians have a pretty good feel for how tight is right.
I don't want to sound so fobic or anything like that but I do have a road trip comming up in a couple of months. It will be about 2600 Km back and forth and will include a lot of wheeling at the destination!!

So??? Should I be concerned about this??? What's the worst thing that could happen with what he did?
Unread 07-14-2010, 09:55 AM   #39
bnine
2003 TJ Wrangler 

In the extreme, he could over tighten and the pinion will seize. But if it hasnt in the first few hundred K, it wont.

Most likely it will return sooner then later as Rubiblack said. So long as it hasnt seized up, just run it for the time being.

If he didnt use a new nut, stake the old one, or use loctite, I suggest you paint mark the pinion nut and check on it once it in a while to ensure it isnt backing off.
bnine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2010, 10:40 AM   #40
TeeJay00
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnine View Post
In the extreme, he could over tighten and the pinion will seize. But if it hasnt in the first few hundred K, it wont.

Most likely it will return sooner then later as Rubiblack said. So long as it hasnt seized up, just run it for the time being.

If he didnt use a new nut, stake the old one, or use loctite, I suggest you paint mark the pinion nut and check on it once it in a while to ensure it isnt backing off.
Good idea

Tags
axle , d30 , front , leak , oil , pinion , pinion seal , replacement , seal , tj , wrangler

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.