D30 pinion oil seal replacement??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > D30 pinion oil seal replacement???

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 06-30-2010, 03:59 AM   #1
TeeJay00
2000 TJ Wrangler 

D30 pinion oil seal replacement???

It's leaking a lot now and I was wondering if I can do it myself with my basic tools... Any writeup on this subject?? Tried searching for it and ended up with hundreds of pages. Couldn't find it

Thanks

TeeJay00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2010, 12:06 PM   #2
rchase559
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Check out this link. I thought it was a thorough write up.

JeepingSingles.net: Tech Section - Pinion Seal Replacement - TJ/YJ

The hardest part for me was getting the pinion nut off. Everything else was fairly easy.
rchase559 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2010, 12:24 PM   #3
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

That's good write-up. Unless the low pinion Dana 30 is different they don't use crush sleeves (like a Dana 35) but pre-load shims so you don't have to worry about crushing it. I would just use loctite and torque it down. I can't remember what the torque value is though.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2010, 01:03 PM   #4
TeeJay00
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks you guys

A couple of questions though...

I have tried to remove the pinion nut before but it was too tight... Would I brake anything if I put some extra elbow grease to it?
And what damage could happen to the crush sleeve if I tighten the nut too much?

I'm going to try to follow that writeup but any extra tips for a first timer??

Thanks again
Unread 06-30-2010, 01:04 PM   #5
bnine
2003 TJ Wrangler 

TJ 30's use a crush sleeve.

Most pinion seal failures are a result of pinion braing failures. I would check the pinion bearings before automatically moving to the seal.
bnine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2010, 01:07 PM   #6
TeeJay00
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnine View Post

Most pinion seal failures are a result of pinion braing failures. I would check the pinion bearings before automatically moving to the seal.
Hmmm... interesting!! How do I do that
Unread 06-30-2010, 01:12 PM   #7
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnine View Post

Yeah I wasn't sure about this. Show's how much I know about TJ's

Since it has a crush sleeve the ideal way to tighten it is to measure the pre-load. I used a in-lb torque wrench for bikes and measured the rotating torque. However you won't get an accurate reading with the ring gear in. When I changed the seal on my D35 I just hit it with the electric impact and some loctite and it worked fine. Just make sure you can rotate the pinion without a lot of effort after tighten it down.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2010, 01:13 PM   #8
ssb
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I thought the Torque specs were around 175 lbs, and is quite a PITA to remove. Some say dont use an impact to put it back on, but i don't see me using just a breaker bar or cheater pipe to get that kind of torque.. lemme see if i can find that link.

the more the better i guess,... last post on the second link has more info. it looks like 200 lbs should be ok.

http://www.madxj.com/MADXJ/technical...inionSeals.htm

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=51765

Last edited by ssb; 06-30-2010 at 01:24 PM..
ssb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2010, 02:11 PM   #9
TeeJay00
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssb View Post
I thought the Torque specs were around 175 lbs, and is quite a PITA to remove. Some say dont use an impact to put it back on, but i don't see me using just a breaker bar or cheater pipe to get that kind of torque.. lemme see if i can find that link.

the more the better i guess,... last post on the second link has more info. it looks like 200 lbs should be ok.

Tech Report - Extreme Duty Rocker Replacement

Dana 30 pinion gear torque specs? - NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association

The second link just copied the steps from the service manual... But thanks a lot for your help

I have the service manual for my TJ but most of the time I don't have the tools they are reffering to in it. Which is why the first "do it yourself" link with the pictures is closer to my situation.

Anyway I'm not a mechanic nor is english my first language so please guys be patient with me if I ask for more explanations about the terms you use

So what's the best way to remove that pinion nut with basic home garage tools??
Unread 06-30-2010, 03:54 PM   #10
RaggedOleMan
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeJay00 View Post
It's leaking a lot now and I was wondering if I can do it myself with my basic tools... Any writeup on this subject?? Tried searching for it and ended up with hundreds of pages. Couldn't find it

Thanks

Here's my write-up; http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/pi...5-d30-1031177/
RaggedOleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2010, 04:11 PM   #11
TeeJay00
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaggedOleMan View Post
Thanks a lot... That's a quite impressive and detailed writeup

How important is it to not change the pre-load as you mentioned? And what is the pre-load?
Unread 06-30-2010, 04:12 PM   #12
ssb
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaggedOleMan View Post
Funny.. this is the link i was looking for.. . Still .. i would think you would have to have the jeep jacked up high enough or lifted up enough to get a breaker bar in there to leverage that type of torque to bust it loose. Some type of impact wrench would be best. Maybe rent one? I wonder if anyone here has done it by hand?
ssb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2010, 04:51 PM   #13
RaggedOleMan
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Thanks you guys

A couple of questions though...

I have tried to remove the pinion nut before but it was too tight... Would I brake anything if I put some extra elbow grease to it?
And what damage could happen to the crush sleeve if I tighten the nut too much?

I'm going to try to follow that writeup but any extra tips for a first timer??

Thanks again
Quote:
Thanks a lot... That's a quite impressive and detailed writeup

How important is it to not change the pre-load as you mentioned? And what is the pre-load?
Thanks for the kind words.

Regarding the pre-load & crush sleeve, I'm mot qualified to answer that. It's my understanding that it has to do with the set up of the pinion & gears. We all know that's a fairly cumbersome & detail orientated task, best left to someone that knows WTF they're doing. And not upsetting the crush sleeve is a component of the pre-load, I believe.

That pinion nut is designed specifically for that location and the lbs/stress under which it must maintain its integrity. That said, anything that would disrupt the pre-load it's set to, may contribute to trouble and/or expense further down the trail.

Removing that nut was done with an impact gun that had a 950lb rating. I'm sure with enough leverage you could do it by hand/cheater/breaker bar. Others may have some insight or tricks. Good luck to you and thanks again for the positive comments.

~John

Last edited by RaggedOleMan; 06-30-2010 at 07:10 PM..
RaggedOleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2010, 06:47 PM   #14
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louie4 View Post
That's good write-up. Unless the low pinion Dana 30 is different they don't use crush sleeves.
HPd30's don't use a crush sleeve, LPd30's do...
Unread 07-01-2010, 02:56 AM   #15
TeeJay00
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Ok I gave it some thought... With the information I got from you guys so far I think I would be able to do this seal change on my own.
However, with all this talk about crush sleeves and pre-loads there are a couple of factors here!

First, this seal has been changed a couple of years ago during one of my trips to Jordan. Anyway I didn't know the mechanic who changed it. I was travelling therefore it was an emergency fix so I don't really know if the new seal he used was ok or not and I also don't know if he put everything back correctly.

Now... Should I just go ahead with the change myself regardless of how tight/loose everything is currently. Or should I just take it to my mechanic and have him check everything while he is at it?

And while he is doing it I figured I would be a big PITA ti him and ask lots of questions to learn how to do it next time myself

You know what? forget about it... I am the kind of person who likes to learn from my own mistakes... I'm gonna do it myself next weekend What's the worst thing that could happen???

Thank you all for being so helpfull

Tags
axle , d30 , front , leak , oil , pinion , pinion seal , replacement , seal , tj , wrangler

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.