D30 limited slip? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > D30 limited slip?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineBill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comComponent speaker deal for your dash - NalinMFG

Unread 11-29-2007, 01:39 PM   #1
brkshr
2006 LJ Wrangler 

D30 limited slip?

Can anyone recommend a limited slip for my D30. This is my DD, but I definately need something in the front for offroad. I always get stuck at least once a trip.

brkshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2007, 01:43 PM   #2
Chris_
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Get an auto locker.
Unread 11-29-2007, 01:57 PM   #3
brkshr
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Oh and money is an issue, so it needs to be worth the cost/effectivness
Unread 11-29-2007, 02:03 PM   #4
joburnet

Aussie Locker, $250 or so. I don't have one but it's on my Christmas wish list.
joburnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2007, 02:04 PM   #5
Giviner
2003 TJ Wrangler 

For the price you will utimately spend to get a limited slip installed, you might as well save up a bit more and get a selectable locker. Way better for off-road then flip a switch and you're back to normal for street driving. It's a decision you will not regret spending an extra few bucks on.

I run an Auburn ECTED in my D30 and it is a limited slip when not locked.
Giviner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2007, 02:56 PM   #6
BILL G
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Detroit Tru-Trac.I have them F+R.
BILL G is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2007, 02:58 PM   #7
2005X
2005 TJ Wrangler 

i have the detroit tru-trac for the front, kinda wished i would have gotten a locker
Unread 11-29-2007, 03:00 PM   #8
JJs99TJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I would say go with an Aussie, $249, free shipping and a
pretty easy install.

http://northridge4x4.com/proddetail....od=AL-XD-13027
JJs99TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2007, 03:16 PM   #9
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

To pre-address the likely concern the OP may have about installing a locker in the front axle, it's a 100% non-issue for the Wrangler TJ as a front locker is virtually transparent in 2wd on the street. This is because there is no torque being sent through it to the wheels when you're in 2wd do it does not affect anything or even let you know it's there. Only in 4x4 does it "do it's thing".

There is FAR more benefit to a front locker than there is a front limited slip differential in a Wrangler that is taken offroad. When I ran Truetrac LSDs front and rear offroad, they were nearly useless and totally ineffective the vast majority of the time. Their main benefit is on the street in ice or snow conditions.

Personally, I would go for a Lockrite up front. The Aussie works the same way, is a copy of the Lockrite, but is made in Australia and I prefer buying American-made whenever I can. There is no difference between them so far as their design and how well they work goes.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2007, 03:20 PM   #10
brkshr
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford
To pre-address the likely concern the OP may have about installing a locker in the front axle, it's a 100% non-issue for the Wrangler TJ as a front locker is virtually transparent in 2wd on the street. This is because there is no torque being sent through it to the wheels when you're in 2wd do it does not affect anything or even let you know it's there. Only in 4x4 does it "do it's thing".

There is FAR more benefit to a front locker than there is a front limited slip differential in a Wrangler that is taken offroad. When I ran Truetrac LSDs front and rear offroad, they were nearly useless and totally ineffective the vast majority of the time. Their main benefit is on the street in ice or snow conditions.

Personally, I would go for a Lockrite up front. The Aussie works the same way, is a copy of the Lockrite, but is made in Australia and I prefer buying American-made whenever I can. There is no difference between them so far as their design and how well they work goes.
Thats a new one on me, do you run a locker up front. I would much rather have a locker if I can.
Unread 11-29-2007, 03:24 PM   #11
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brkshr
Thats a new one on me, do you run a locker up front. I would much rather have a locker if I can.
Absolutely, I don't wheel with anyone who doesn't and most of us drive our TJs on the street. I installed and drove it for years without problem, and well before I installed manual hubs up front and whether my front hubs are locked or unlocked, the locker is never even noticeable. A Lockrite might click once in a while but that would be the most you'd ever notice. You won't feel it through the steering wheel at all in 2wd, and you won't until you shift into 4x4.

The only time a front locker in a TJ is not a good idea is if you have to drive in 4x4 on the streets like during the winter and there is snow or ice on the ground.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2007, 03:34 PM   #12
CNY
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Lock Right locker up front is invisible in 2WD, and it's great in 4WD.

Best investment (other than tires) I have made, when it comes to increasing the capabilities of a TJ.

Easy to do yourself, if you have a set of tools. The stuff you learn while installing it will be worth knowing, if you do your own maintenance on the Jeep.

Oh, and in an answer to the question in your sig line......

That quote is from a poem written by Cliff Burton. It was used in the Metallica song "To Live Is To Die", which is a tribute to their bassist Cliff, who died in a bus accident.
CNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2007, 04:25 PM   #13
SecondTJ
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I've got the Detroit TrueTrac limited slip in front and love it. But it is not cheap unless you find them used.

If you are going for cost, a lunchbox locker would be best.

'99 Z28 M6, some goodies
'94 'Vette, A4 all stock
SecondTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2007, 04:38 PM   #14
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Don't forget that you'll need at least a partial gear setup with any limited slip.

A lunchbox locker you can install yourself.
Wheelin98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2007, 04:43 PM   #15
brkshr
2006 LJ Wrangler 

whats a lunch box locker

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.