D30/D35 pinion seal replacement - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > D30/D35 pinion seal replacement

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Safety Thimble FairleadsEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 06-22-2008, 03:19 PM   #1
raskull
2003 TJ Wrangler 

D30/D35 pinion seal replacement

The seal is leaking on both my diffs, where the driveshaft goes into the diff. The pinion seal I assume..

I did a little reading on replacing these and there is info about needing an inch pound torque wrench, and pre-loading the bearings to 300+ ft lbs..

Is this something I need, or can I replace these seals on my own? I can buy new seals from napa for about $20 each, so if I can do it myself I'd like to avoid taking it in. I don't have a torque wrench that goes over 100 ft lbs, and I don't have a press for the bearings.. am I **** out of luck?

I can likely borrow a large torque wrench (up to 700 ft lbs) if needed from work, and I have a press at work if needed.. but I'd prefer to do it in the garage.

Raskull - Metallic Silver '03 Jeep TJ Sport (pic)
http://myjeeptj.com <- Write-ups on mods/maintenance/trips and a video/image gallery
Custom front bumper build
Custom rockers build
My build thread
raskull is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2008, 03:32 PM   #2
Bigsam

I did mine on my own. I used an impact to get the nuts off to remove the yoke. I used a breaker bar with a pipe to put them back on. It has been over a month have done wheeling and lots of driving and have had no problems. I did not do anything with my bearings though.
Bigsam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2008, 03:50 PM   #3
TheMightyGoat
2003 TJ Wrangler 

The "correct" way to do it is to replace the bearings and crush ring and install a new pinion nut torqued to the factory specifications and all that other stuff that no one ever does.

The way everyone does it is to take the thing apart, throw a new seal in there and tighten it up to around 190 ft/lbs. To get my pinion nut off, I ended up sticking a jack under a 1.5" bar to break it loose. You'll be fine.

Might not be a bad idea to invest in a decent torque wrench, though.
TheMightyGoat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2008, 03:52 PM   #4
otisdog
2003 TJ Wrangler 

You set the preload with an INCH LB torque wrench, not 300 ft lbs!
There's a crush sleeve in both those diffs and you are supposed to measure the preload before you pull the pinion nut then when you reassemble you set the preload to the same + 5 inch lbs.
Better do some more reading on this. If you overcrush that sleeve your diff won't be working right very long.
Jim
Unread 06-22-2008, 04:21 PM   #5
raskull
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by otisdog View Post
There's a crush sleeve in both those diffs and you are supposed to measure the preload before you pull the pinion nut then when you reassemble you set the preload to the same + 5 inch lbs.
Better do some more reading on this. If you overcrush that sleeve your diff won't be working right very long.
Jim
Hey it's not my words, it's others. Looking at different write-ups online they state the pinion nut should be put on anywhere from 150ft lbs to 300 ft lbs.. seems the most common used for a d30 as an example is about 160ft lbs-220ft lbs.

"and the Dana handbook calls for 200-220ft lb."

Anyway, I did see someone saying that if you mark where the pinion nut was before, and replace it to the same spot + 1/16th of a turn it should be very close.

Anyone ever tried this?

Raskull - Metallic Silver '03 Jeep TJ Sport (pic)
http://myjeeptj.com <- Write-ups on mods/maintenance/trips and a video/image gallery
Custom front bumper build
Custom rockers build
My build thread
raskull is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2008, 04:35 PM   #6
jake1977
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by otisdog View Post
Jim
X2! I had mine replaced and that's all it took. Yes that preload is crucial! Get the preload to tight you cannot simply back off the nut to the correct preload. The crush sleeve will have to be replaced. That means entire disassembly.
jake1977 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2008, 05:07 PM   #7
CHRRRIS
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I'm using this write-up to do my D30 pinion seal in the next day or so.

http://www.jeepingsingles.net/tech/pinionseal.asp

Written by a buddy of mine and it seems very straight forward..

Except the torque upon re-installing the nut, that I do not know..

Current - '98 Black Z28 with some goodies
Previous - '97 Gun Metal Blue TJ

Northern Illinois Extreme Jeep Club
www.ExtremeJeepClub.com
CHRRRIS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2008, 05:36 PM   #8
Nonya
Web Wheeler
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRRRIS View Post
I'm using this write-up to do my D30 pinion seal in the next day or so.

http://www.jeepingsingles.net/tech/pinionseal.asp

Written by a buddy of mine and it seems very straight forward..

Except the torque upon re-installing the nut, that I do not know..
I see a expensive garage visit in your future.....DO NOT follow that write up,look in the forums for the proper info.
The info in that link you posted is so GENERAL its just enough info to get you in so deep you'll have such a mess you won't know what to do.
Nonya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2008, 05:37 PM   #9
Nonya
Web Wheeler
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by raskull View Post
Anyway, I did see someone saying that if you mark where the pinion nut was before, and replace it to the same spot + 1/16th of a turn it should be very close.

Anyone ever tried this?
there ya go
Unread 06-22-2008, 05:40 PM   #10
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by raskull View Post
Hey it's not my words, it's others. Looking at different write-ups online they state the pinion nut should be put on anywhere from 150ft lbs to 300 ft lbs..
300 ft-lbs. is only if you're crushing a new crush sleeve. 160-180 ft-lbs. is fine if you're not. I asked Tom Wood this question many years ago and that's what he said which was good enough for me when I was replacing a seal and swapping to a u-bolt pinion yoke style. That ft-lbs. amount has worked fine the 3-4 times I've done it the past 7-8 years.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.
Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2008, 05:43 PM   #11
CHRRRIS
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonya View Post
I see a expensive garage visit in your future.....DO NOT follow that write up,look in the forums for the proper info.
The info in that link you posted is so GENERAL its just enough info to get you in so deep you'll have such a mess you won't know what to do.
What is so general about it besides there not being a torque spec for the pinion nut?

I don't see any reason for the job to be any more difficult than it states..

Some of you guys (otisdog) are mentioning measuring the preload to know where the nut needs to be upon re-installation.. That is not mentioned in the write-up, which is why I said that is what I am still looking around for the right answer on..

Besides re-installation, removal of the old seal looks to be very simple.

Edit: As Jerry said, 160-180 ft. lbs... Following that write-up and tightening down the nut to 160-180, where is the bad in this?

Current - '98 Black Z28 with some goodies
Previous - '97 Gun Metal Blue TJ

Northern Illinois Extreme Jeep Club
www.ExtremeJeepClub.com
CHRRRIS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2008, 05:51 PM   #12
Nonya
Web Wheeler
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Once the crush collar is installed it is IMPOSSIBLE to use it again....forget about it.THERE IS NO TORQUE SPEC FOR REUSING THE CRUSH COLLAR!Because its useless once its been crushed.The proper method is to mark the nut and retighten 1/16 inch past the mark.ANY OTHER method is useless IMO.I've done 100's of rears that others have "replaced the pinion seals"trust me on this.
Unread 06-22-2008, 05:55 PM   #13
TheMightyGoat
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRRRIS View Post
What is so general about it besides there not being a torque spec for the pinion nut?

I don't see any reason for the job to be any more difficult than it states..

Some of you guys (otisdog) are mentioning measuring the preload to know where the nut needs to be upon re-installation.. That is not mentioned in the write-up, which is why I said that is what I am still looking around for the right answer on..

Besides re-installation, removal of the old seal looks to be very simple.

Edit: As Jerry said, 160-180 ft. lbs... Following that write-up and tightening down the nut to 160-180, where is the bad in this?
Every time this subject comes out there's always the "you have to do it right" crowd and the "throw it back together and tighten it" crowd. I don't think any of us who identify with crowd B would claim their approach to be "right", but at the same time most people come around to the good 'nuff side at the end of these debates and I've yet to hear from one of them who toasted a pinion assembly doing so.
TheMightyGoat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2008, 06:00 PM   #14
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

If the 'Do it Right' crowd says you have to go by the book which means a new crush sleeve which means the pinion gear has to be pulled, then count me out of that crowd. I doubt many would claim Tom Wood's advice is anything but unimpeachable and that's what I go by when replacing a seal or yoke.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.
Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2008, 06:03 PM   #15
imbezol
2004 TJ Wrangler 

And how do you take this magical and exact 1/16th of an inch measurement? Is it the amount the outside edge of the pinion nut rotates? Do you use the corners of the nut or the flange of the nut? Are they all the exact same diameter?
imbezol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.