D30 Aussie Locker - 1st impression - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > D30 Aussie Locker - 1st impression

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! ECGS Black Friday Sale!!Thanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deals at JeepinOutf

Unread 06-06-2009, 04:55 AM   #31
corndogduff

i just want the 242 cause here in utah we get very odd storms where it will leave 3 feet of snow you are driving through then none at all then random snow drifts and such and its generally just a PITA to put it in and out of 4hi every 30 seconds (when you need it here you NEED it and when you dont you REALLY dont... it sucks)

the fulltime 4 wheel would just be a good amenity to have basically, but i might just stick with what i got and put in an aussie.

so if i do get the 242 i'd want a selectable instead of the aussie is that what you are tryin to say?

UT Jeepcrew #13
NIGHTCREW
corndogduff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-06-2009, 05:07 AM   #32
BYuen
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorndogDuff View Post
i just want the 242 cause here in utah we get very odd storms where it will leave 3 feet of snow you are driving through then none at all then random snow drifts and such and its generally just a PITA to put it in and out of 4hi every 30 seconds (when you need it here you NEED it and when you dont you REALLY dont... it sucks)

the fulltime 4 wheel would just be a good amenity to have basically, but i might just stick with what i got and put in an aussie.

so if i do get the 242 i'd want a selectable instead of the aussie is that what you are tryin to say?
I mean it's totally up to you. Ideally a front selectable is best for 4wd on pavement, but an autolocker up front is doable. Just familiarize yourself on how it handles and decide what your limits are. I don't mind my Aussie at all, but I am willing to put up with the cons. Someday if I ever get the extra money I would invest in a front selectable. If you have the money, get a selectable.

I see what you're talking about with all the random snow here and there, but the 231 is a shift on the fly tcase. Wouldn't you just want to engage 4wd when you really needed it instead of having it always engaged with the 242? It'll save you some gas and less wear on your drivetrain not to mention the time and cost to do a 242 swap haha
BYuen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-06-2009, 06:19 AM   #33
2000jeeper
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Well i just checked my tracking info my Aussie should be here monday. As long as big brown does not get lost! The joy of living on a indian reservation!
2000jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-18-2010, 11:36 AM   #34
stuff2c
1997 TJ Wrangler 

READ READ READ then ASK

So i have been reading a lot about the Aussie locker and now I'll ask. I got a deal on a new Aussie locker for my Dyna 30 front for my 97 TJ. The guy will install it free if i buy it from him, yes its new, he was going to install in his and has decided to go a different way. it is the correct AL part#. He is a real good mechanic and he'll let me watch/help, so i still get the hands on experience.
My question is... i have an open rear Dana 35 and am "going to" install a 8.8 lmt slip w disc's as soon as i can find a deal on one (read a lot about that too). Is this OK to do? locked up front and open rear?

thanks in advance

[FONT="Georgia"][COLOR="DarkRed"][COLOR="White"]If you are not a Jeep Forum Supporter maybe you should reconsider... It's already saved me 10x what my Supporter membership cost me.[/COLOR][/COLOR][/FONT]

[SIZE="5"]"There is great need for a sarcasm font"[/SIZE]
stuff2c is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-18-2010, 11:42 AM   #35
jbeebe
1991 YJ Wrangler 

yes, it's perfectly fine. many people only lock the front d30 until they swap out the crap d35 in the rear.
jbeebe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-18-2010, 12:03 PM   #36
stuff2c
1997 TJ Wrangler 

thanks!

**Update FYI and thanks to the Aussie Locker Tech request reply:
"Yes you can do such an installation. We sell more Dana 30 lockers than any other model and that means that many of them go into Jeeps with the same set up you have."

[FONT="Georgia"][COLOR="DarkRed"][COLOR="White"]If you are not a Jeep Forum Supporter maybe you should reconsider... It's already saved me 10x what my Supporter membership cost me.[/COLOR][/COLOR][/FONT]

[SIZE="5"]"There is great need for a sarcasm font"[/SIZE]

Last edited by stuff2c; 02-18-2010 at 02:46 PM..
stuff2c is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-18-2010, 01:40 PM   #37
2000jeeper
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Ran my aussie for the first time this weekend thru some really think mud. worked great. If any one is considering buying one i highly recommened it.
Unread 07-16-2010, 08:27 AM   #38
Iceman3535
2013 JK Wrangler 

I have been looking into purchasing a locker for my D30 recently and the Aussie is definately on the list... quick question and this might be a stupid one or I might have missed it... but can you use any after market diff cover with the Aussie? I have a Riddler D30 cover currently.
Iceman3535 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2010, 09:35 AM   #39
jeepinmichguy_
I haz ah Geep

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman3535 View Post
I have been looking into purchasing a locker for my D30 recently and the Aussie is definately on the list... quick question and this might be a stupid one or I might have missed it... but can you use any after market diff cover with the Aussie? I have a Riddler D30 cover currently.
yes. aussies are installed on your existing carrier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
Jeepinmichguy is a jerk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
How about this, if you had the Jeep Spirit, you wouldn't abuse the rest of us trying to enjoy a nice day out wheeling by bringing your brokeass broken down junkyard crap out to play where it can't handle it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepForum123 View Post
you all have nice rigs, stop being f****** a**holes.
jeepinmichguy_ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-09-2010, 05:29 AM   #40
Alberto4x4
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Hello.
Yesterday I installed and tested the Aussie for some 1 or 2 miles on pavement most of time to go to the fuel station.
In 2wd the front locker is non visible, I hear the front diff clicking.
When in put the 4wd the front locker gets locked automatically, but when I put again the 2wd the front locker is still locked for some few of meters(100m for example) But if I stop and engage the reverse I hear a click and the locker disengages. Is this normal?
Alicante (Spain)
My Jeep TJ build
Alberto4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-09-2010, 09:57 AM   #41
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

The Wrangler's 4x4 system doesn't usually disengage 4x4 immediately after you slide the lever back into 2wd, it normally takes a few seconds. So it's not the locker causing it, it's the transfer case itself. Back off on the accelerator pedal to take the pressure off the gears inside the transfer case allow it to slip back into 2wd more easily. Backing up is something you had to do with some 4x4 systems many years ago but the Wrangler's doesn't require it. Just back off on the accelerator pedal and it will disengage from 4Hi to 2Wd more quickly.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.
Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2011, 10:25 AM   #42
autorevolution
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleman66 View Post
mine works great! been quite for about 3-4 months now but!

ITS VERY NOISY NOW!! why??? anyone else have this problem?
i can't find one anywhere but on northernridge...
autorevolution is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2011, 10:37 AM   #43
mdm
Farm Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by autorevolution View Post
i can't find one anywhere but on northernridge...
Not looking very hard are you?

http://www.jeeperz-creeperz.com/auss...e-p-76435.html
http://motionoffroad.com/catalog/ind...products_id=34
http://motors.shop.ebay.com/__?_from...a%2030&_sacat=
Unread 01-19-2011, 11:07 AM   #44
kenmal
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay98TJ View Post
Installed my front Aussie last night, took it for a test drive and
I am sorry I waited so long to get it.
Can some one who is semi mechanically Inclined install?
kenmal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2011, 02:18 PM   #45
Ross00TJ
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenmal View Post
Can some one who is semi mechanically Inclined install?
There are many write ups and it installs in your existing carrier so I don't see why not. Look around at the write ups and see if it's something you think you can do.

Ross00TJ
Ross00TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
aussie , dana 30 , locker

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.