D30 Aussie Locker - 1st impression - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > D30 Aussie Locker - 1st impression

Complete Axle Options Expanded !!!! ECGSNEW Smittybilt Gen 2 9.5 winch at JeepHut.comEnd of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!

Unread 02-29-2008, 05:44 AM   #16
aszalan
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I have had an aussie locker in my dana 30 for over a year now. I agree with the other comments, great locker, easy to install, and good pricing from northridge4x4.

aszalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2008, 12:08 PM   #17
jbeebe
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FifteenCents View Post
I think I have only put my TJ in 4Lo maybe twice. Once just to make
sure it worked. I do have a 4.0 with an auto tranny and 3.37 gears with 33.12.50s.

I don't think I would every need or use 2Lo

i've never put mine in 4hi. i'm always in 4low on the trails. when i'm not on an obstacle i start rolling in 2nd gear.
jbeebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2008, 12:26 PM   #18
Jay98TJ
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Installed my front Aussie last night, took it for a test drive and
I am sorry I waited so long to get it.
Jay98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2008, 11:53 PM   #19
Roknut
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I've had my Aussie in for about 6 months now. I don't know how I ever drove without it. It's by far the best mod I've done to date. I've never driven anything with a selectable locker so I can't compare. But if you're on a budget, this thing rocks!!!!!
Roknut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2008, 02:06 PM   #20
robo3
2002 TJ Wrangler 

aussie locker is the bomb! got mine off flea bay, easy install . its nasty on pavement in 4wd but i will only use that in extreme winter conditions !o and its my daily driver ! WHY DID I WAIT SO LONG TO GET ONE!!!!!!!
robo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2008, 05:23 PM   #21
littleman66
2001 TJ Wrangler 

mine works great! been quite for about 3-4 months now but!

ITS VERY NOISY NOW!! why??? anyone else have this problem?
homemade rear bumper with hitch, two recovery points
dual battery. 1750 watt inverter
Dukes of Hazard/Dixieland horn. Neoprene seat covers
littleman66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2008, 05:42 PM   #22
Caribic-TJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I have the PowerTrax No-Slip, which is basically an evolution of the Aussie locker, in my Dana 30 and it doesn't make any noise at all!
Martin
www.offroad-pirates.com
---------------------------------------------------------------
'98 TJ Sahara auto, 2"BB, 32x10.50R15 Super Swamper TSL Radial, Ramsey Patriot 8000 winch, Warn diff.skid plates, Skid Row engine skid plate.
'06 Unlimited Rubicon auto, 3.5" RE SF lift with RE Mono Tubes, 255x85R16 BFG MT, Warn M8000 winch, Warn diff.skid plates.
Caribic-TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2009, 04:29 PM   #23
lakailimited06
1999 WJ 

i know way to bring back an old thread, i put an aussie in m D30 last night, and tested it out today with the 12" of snow we got here on long island..all i can say is wow what a difference 2wd pretty quiet i can only hear the clicking the tigher the turn and if im trying to hear it...

i noticed when in 4 wheel when i make a tight turn i get some sounds like boom sounds kind of is this the strain im putting on the front drivetrain...jsut wanted to make sure its normal
Unread 03-02-2009, 04:34 PM   #24
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakailimited06 View Post
i noticed when in 4 wheel when i make a tight turn i get some sounds like boom sounds kind of is this the strain im putting on the front drivetrain...jsut wanted to make sure its normal
It sounds like you might be trying that (shifting into 4Hi or 4Lo) on the pavement which will cause all kinds of problems. Either of those two 4x4 modes should be used only offroad or when the roads are totally covered with snow or ice. Don't even shift into 4Hi on the roads when it's raining, front lockers don't like being engaged on any high traction surface and even a wet road has too much traction for a front locker when you're in either of your 4x4 modes.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2009, 04:50 PM   #25
lakailimited06
1999 WJ 

i was in 12"s of snow/mud in a parking lot, it wasnt a paved lot it was a dirt lot...it didnt really happen there, it happened more when i was on my block driving on compacted snow it wasnt near dry pavement...
Unread 06-05-2009, 02:54 PM   #26
abbottx4
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Plan on doing this same mod soon, but want to regear from 4.10s to 4.88s @ the same time, so waiting until I get the cash. Think I want an ECTED in the rear.
abbottx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2009, 03:01 PM   #27
corndogduff

i hope someone chimes in here...

i want to get a 242 transfer case would getting an aussie as well be a viable option or am i shooting myself in the foot if i do? I'd hate to put the case in fulltime 4wd then grenade it because of the locked front end
UT Jeepcrew #13
NIGHTCREW
corndogduff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2009, 05:21 PM   #28
BYuen
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorndogDuff View Post
i hope someone chimes in here...

i want to get a 242 transfer case would getting an aussie as well be a viable option or am i shooting myself in the foot if i do? I'd hate to put the case in fulltime 4wd then grenade it because of the locked front end
You wouldn't grenade the case. Lockers don't put stress directly on the tcase. You would have to worry more about the extra stress it puts on your front axle, steering, tires, etc if you plan on running full time 4wd on the pavement. If you are going to travel at high speeds such as 35+ mph in icy conditions with a front auto locker and 4wd engaged, be careful in slick conditions. The understeer will become an issue.
BYuen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2009, 05:29 PM   #29
corndogduff

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYuen View Post
You wouldn't grenade the case. Lockers don't put stress directly on the tcase. You would have to worry more about the extra stress it puts on your front axle, steering, tires, etc if you plan on running full time 4wd on the pavement. If you are going to travel at high speeds such as 35+ mph in icy conditions with a front auto locker and 4wd engaged, be careful in slick conditions. The understeer will become an issue.
so its not a bad idea but be careful?

i want the case for our retarded utah winters and the locker for obvious reasons...
UT Jeepcrew #13
NIGHTCREW
corndogduff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2009, 03:30 AM   #30
BYuen
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorndogDuff View Post
so its not a bad idea but be careful?

i want the case for our retarded utah winters and the locker for obvious reasons...
Yea but ideally you would want a front selectable locker. If you get an Aussie take it out your first time in the snow to an empty parking lot or isolated road and see how it handles. From my experience on a windy road in snow and ice, I began to under steer pretty bad whenever I exceeded 35 mph. You just kind of have to feel it and judge for yourself.

Why do want 242? The 231 will work just fine for snow driving on pavement. I guess in the "full time" mode the 242 powers front and rear wheels but leaves the center diff unlocked? Sounds like this would be useful for higher speed conditions with relatively dry pavement where you would not want the front and rear diffs locked together such as in the rain or out of precaution from random icy spots here and there. Either of those conditions would put unnecessary wear on your tires and axle components with an automatic locker up front. Your steering would also be affected becoming dangerous at higher speeds when the locker engages and disengages jerking the Jeep to and from causing you to shoot in different directions. When you put the Aussie in, remove the rear driveshaft and take it for a spin under the power of just your front axle. It'll give you a good idea how the locker behaves in dry weather and how you probably don't even want to drive over 35 mph with an autolocker engaged in the front. Even when it is dry
BYuen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aussie , dana 30 , locker

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.