D30 Aussie Locker - 1st impression - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > D30 Aussie Locker - 1st impression

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsWe have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!

Unread 01-27-2008, 07:21 PM   #1
bigV
1991 YJ Wrangler 

D30 Aussie Locker - 1st impression

I installed an Aussie Locker into my Dana 30 this past week and took it off-road for the 1st time yesterday. I have to say this locker is awesome! It actually feels like I still have an open diff when I'm in 2wd and on the street - even through turns, I can barely hear it clicking, and that's with me trying to listen for it. Off-road the locker worked exactly as advertised, I had no problems with any obstacles that I tried - I ran it through a V-notch that usually has 1 of your front tires up in the air (although my recent suspension upgrades didn't allow this to happen to me ) I could fell it pulling me forward. It was muddy and wet but I had no traction problems all day. Thanks to Northridge 4x4 for the Locker - $249 shipped is a great deal for some awesome traction. On the trail the steering is noticeably tighter, but that's expected of a locked front axle. I was planning on getting the Tera 2low kit (under $200) which would allow for the front axle to be disconnected at the transfer case while in 4low, but it wasn't as tough as I was expecting, so I just saved myself about $200 . If you've been thinking of adding a locker but are on a tight budget - I'd say the Aussie is a great choice - well engineered and built with quality, easy to install (http://www.4x4xplor.com/aussielocker.html) and works great.

Last edited by bigV; 01-27-2008 at 09:44 PM..
bigV is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2008, 07:33 PM   #2
FifteenCents
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I also have an Aussie Locker that I bought at www.northridge4x4.com
I am super lucky to live really close by so I had Them install it for me,
I know it is suposed to be super easy to install. I am luck they did,
they found some problems I had with the spider gears while they had
it apart.

Dave Rocks !!!!
FifteenCents is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2008, 07:38 PM   #3
Dizzle
2001 TJ Wrangler 

X2 with the Aussie and also with Dave at Northridge. Great locker and great customer support from Dave.
Dizzle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2008, 07:52 PM   #4
bryans98tj
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Good deal man. I love my Aussie and if I didn't have a LSD front I would have an Aussie up there.

I know you didn't find it difficult on the trail to turn but it does put a lot of stress on the front drive line. I love my 2 Lo and it is the best mod under $200 that I have done. Locked in the rear I spend most of my trail time in 2Lo until I need to flip it in 4Lo. The greatest thing is you can go from 2 to 4 on the fly. And it makes driving on the trail that much easier.
bryans98tj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2008, 07:59 AM   #5
bigV
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryans98tj
Good deal man. I love my Aussie and if I didn't have a LSD front I would have an Aussie up there.

I know you didn't find it difficult on the trail to turn but it does put a lot of stress on the front drive line. I love my 2 Lo and it is the best mod under $200 that I have done. Locked in the rear I spend most of my trail time in 2Lo until I need to flip it in 4Lo. The greatest thing is you can go from 2 to 4 on the fly. And it makes driving on the trail that much easier.
what LSD are you running up front?
Unread 01-28-2008, 10:28 PM   #6
FifteenCents
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I think I have only put my TJ in 4Lo maybe twice. Once just to make
sure it worked. I do have a 4.0 with an auto tranny and 3.37 gears with 33.12.50s.

I don't think I would every need or use 2Lo
FifteenCents is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2008, 10:45 PM   #7
AlTheKillerr

i love my aussie and bought it from northridge as well. great upgrade
AlTheKillerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2008, 10:54 PM   #8
bigV
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpw1942ford
I think I have only put my TJ in 4Lo maybe twice. Once just to make
sure it worked. I do have a 4.0 with an auto tranny and 3.37 gears with 33.12.50s.

I don't think I would every need or use 2Lo
you always run in 4hi? what kind of trails are you doing? I'm always in 4lo so the 2lo kit is a viable option for me; after that 1st run I feel pretty good steering without it, but it'll probably be a mod that I get, in the future.
Unread 01-29-2008, 08:57 PM   #9
JEEP97TJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

So, the Aussie Locker is an Automatic locker-- does it disengage on the street and around most turns, and automatically fully lock the axle when a tire spins on that axle?

Is it a lunchbox type locker?

I've just started looking into lockers, and am learning as I go.

Is the locker gear-size specific? That is, is it effected by the carrier breaks?

Any experience with it on wet roads, or in snow? If not, how do you expect it would perform?

Don't mean to bombard you with questions

Thanks
Unread 01-29-2008, 09:34 PM   #10
bigV
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEEP97TJ
So, the Aussie Locker is an Automatic locker-- does it disengage on the street and around most turns, and automatically fully lock the axle when a tire spins on that axle?

Is it a lunchbox type locker?

I've just started looking into lockers, and am learning as I go.

Is the locker gear-size specific? That is, is it effected by the carrier breaks?

Any experience with it on wet roads, or in snow? If not, how do you expect it would perform?

Don't mean to bombard you with questions

Thanks
it's a lunchbox type auto locker - which means it's always locked but is designed to allow the wheels to spin at different speeds while turning (this is the ratcheting that is sometimes heard)

it's not affected by the carrier breaks - a dana 30 aussie will fit into either carrier size

I drove it in both rain and snow the day after I installed it, I'm in socal so a few inches of rain and maybe 1"-2" of snow, but it handled great - it has felt like an open diff so far on the street

when in 2wd the locker is relaxed up front - it's locked, but relaxed - so when you turn it easily allows the clutches of the locker to slip past the side gears. when you're in 4wd the locker is locked and has torque being applied to it via the t-case so the locker is tight but will still allow the ratcheting action needed to turn, but it is noticeably stiffer and thus makes it a little harder, depending on how much traction is there - either the locker will ratchet or the tire will "slip" through the turn

check their site it has a lot of good info: http://www.offroadlockers.com/works....e33/233d/.html

the Aussie actually has you measure some tolerances in your carrier and pinion shaft in order to validate the 2 year warranty, looks like they've done a lot of work on putting this unit together
Unread 01-29-2008, 09:41 PM   #11
bigV
1991 YJ Wrangler 

here's the snowy road I went on, not too bad for socal, I didn't notice any pulling or weird steering issues - not exactly sure what to expect with an auto locker up front tho. maybe the problems occur when in 4wd, but in 2wd it felt just like an open diff
Unread 01-29-2008, 09:53 PM   #12
Airborne4X4
1948 CJ2A 

You're right. The Aussie is invisible until you're in 4wd. That's when it comes alive. I'm locked in the rear too. Trying to drive in the snow in 2Hi is near impossible for me. I have to run in 4Hi to keep the rear end from coming around.

Last edited by Airborne4X4; 08-30-2008 at 09:31 PM.. Reason: Found a flaw in my statement...so I changed it.
Airborne4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2008, 10:51 PM   #13
Wrangler11
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Another one for the aussie. It's made a huge difference.

Previous Jeeps
2002 TJ, 1995 YJ, 2 1994 YJ, 1978 CJ7, 1970 CJ1, 2008 Grand Cherokee, 1997 Grand Cherokee, 1994 Cherokee, 1988 Comanchee
Wrangler11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-29-2008, 12:52 AM   #14
gijoeyb
2010 JK Wrangler 

looking at the aussie as well. still waiting on some of the local guys here in alaska to let me know how it works up front in the snow. there is a thought about putting it in the rear, how many have it in the back instead? better for a DD then the detroit in the back?
gijoeyb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-29-2008, 01:06 AM   #15
AlTheKillerr

you dont want an aussie in the back for street driving. itll always be engaged and around turns itll cause the rear end to skip and wear your tires funny. most people will put a selectable locker in the rear so they can turn it on and off whenever. however if you are not concerned about it then go for it
AlTheKillerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
aussie , dana 30 , locker

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.