cylinder head replacement after infamous (0331) crack w/pics - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > cylinder head replacement after infamous (0331) crack w/pics

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 06-30-2012, 11:16 AM   #1
TJ-Tim
2001 TJ Wrangler 

cylinder head replacement after infamous (0331) crack w/pics

So I had the infamous crack between cylinder 3 and 4. Wanted to share a few picks of my first head replacement. If I did it anyone can!

First two pics are of the cracked intake manifold, that would explain the sound of air flowing from the front end at WOT. got a used one from ebay, came with fuel rail and injectors

That peice was being held on by one of the bolts so this was a fun surprise when I heard that hit the ground.

When I removed the valve cover it was a milk shake mess in there, cleaned the cover up, my gasket has been leaking since I got the Jeep.

Next two pics are of the old head you can see the crack.. that was causing all my coolant loss, which caused the over heating which cracked the intake manifold. That cylinder head weighs 80 lbs... that was fun standing on the motor mounts to dead lift this ***** off the block..

First time seeing the inside of my engine.. tops of pistons and cylinder walls were in really good shape for what its been through and 107,xxx miles on it. I assume the whitish color on piston 3 and 4 were from coolant being burned. gave the block a good cleaning and wd40'd it to prevent rust as it took me 3 weeks to afford the new head.

New cylinder head from clear water cylinder head, they were really easy to deal with and helped me upon calling them for advice when reinstalling.

Reinstalling everything, took my time since it was the first time doing anything like this.

She's running better then ever

All in all this was very easy to do, hardest parts were reinstalling the new head as you have to lower straight down and as I said before that ***** is heavy also taking off/on the exhaust manifold lower bolts, I had to remove the driver side motor mount and pull some contortionist moves to get to the bolts.

I would say the total amount of hours I put into it was about 30 because I've never done ANYTHING like this before and I had to label all connections and bolts and I just really wanted to take my time and make sure I did it right.

Total cost around $800.

oil is still crystal clear and compression is good so I call this one a win

Unread 06-30-2012, 11:40 AM   #2
064banger
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Well done! I could never attempt anything like that I'd be way too scared of messing something up big time.
064banger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2012, 11:51 AM   #3
ninjakid

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Good job!
How was the cylinder cross hatch?
ninjakid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2012, 11:58 AM   #4
BioTex
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjakid View Post
Good job!
Crosshatch! with 107k miles?
06' TJ Rubicon, 4" R.C. springs, BFG/AT 35s M.C. 6" fenders, rockers and surrounds, Currie front & rear adj. tracbars, tattons DC rear shaft, adj. upper - lower CA's. Bilstein 5100's
YJ Buggy Build Current project. Stroker/FI ?
1990 MJ Comanche 4.0L AX15/np231
BioTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2012, 12:32 PM   #5
TJ-Tim
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 064banger View Post
Well done! I could never attempt anything like that I'd be way too scared of messing something up big time.
Thanks! believe me I am a total novice mechanic, It was super intimidating but I force myself to do this stuff since I got the jeep and I still check the oil every day since doing this to make sure its not milky, amazed I actually fixed it. XD
Unread 06-30-2012, 12:33 PM   #6
TJ-Tim
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjakid View Post
Good job!
I just had to google what that even was XD

I'm a noob and just made sure the cylinder walls wern't all gnarly, I'll go check brb! :P
Unread 06-30-2012, 01:16 PM   #7
ninjakid

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BioTex

Did a valve job on a 96 xj with a 4.0 that had 103k miles on it a year ago and it still had a fairly decent cross hatch.
ninjakid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2012, 06:34 AM   #8
j0e
2000 TJ Wrangler 

might be doing this as well.

how much did the head run you?
j0e is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2012, 07:44 AM   #9
obiefox
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Nice job. The only way to learn is to have the balls to try something new. Take your time, label everything and take pictures...
obiefox is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2012, 01:11 PM   #10
LJameson
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BioTex View Post
Your point?

That's a pic of a PT cruiser 2.4 (same 2.4 used in TJs) that's never been opene up before. It had 297,000 miles on it.

-Chris LeDoux

I never could figure what the sky was thinking, but the soil, she don't keep too many secrets.
LJameson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2012, 04:36 PM   #11
goldswim5
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BioTex View Post
If you don't have crosshatch at only 107k, you might have some issues.
The daily driver. 2" BB lift, on factory rubi wheels and tires
I wheel at SMORR
goldswim5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.