Cutting the metal bracket near the speakers in the dash - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Cutting the metal bracket near the speakers in the dash

Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 07-15-2010, 06:21 AM   #1
johny84
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Cutting the metal bracket near the speakers in the dash

Hello all,
I wanted to ask if anyone has cut out the metal bracket from the TJ dash to allow a larger speaker ? Does anyone know if this will the damage the vehicle in any way or compromise anything ?

Thank you!

johny84 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-15-2010, 07:19 AM   #2
gabriel05
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Just watch for wiring and I don't think it should be a problem. Check this out
ROCKCRAWLER.com - 33 Engineering 5 1/4 Speaker Adapter Plates for TJ
I don't think the company that makes that bracket is around any more but that should give you an idea of some options. I've even seen people mod the factory speaker and use it as a bracket for the larger speaker size. Google and the search function are your friend.
Unread 07-15-2010, 07:42 AM   #3
johny84
1999 TJ Wrangler 

First, thank you for your response.
I did see the stuff on google, but I wanted to check around here for some more info and experience. The bracket seems to be important, and the fact is that in later TJ models it was not removed but moved to different location.
I already have the 5.25 speaker adapters for the front..Just wanted to check again before I remove it.
johny84 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-15-2010, 11:30 AM   #4
rs4race
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I removed mine. I havent had any problems with it since.
Unread 07-15-2010, 12:09 PM   #5
rastadog

2001 TJ Wrangler 

...cut mine too. I can't imagine it has any structural effect.
rastadog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-15-2010, 12:11 PM   #6
4xfiend
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I cut mine out to fit larger speakers. No problems at all. I made my adapters out of a cutting board I got for $.99 at Ikea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford
I DON'T FRIGGIN' CARE!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim M
Please keep the facts to yourself; nobody here wants to hear them. This was a perfectly good internet argument until you came along with anecdotal evidence.
4xfiend is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
speaker , tj , wrangler , front , metal bracket , bracket , cut , cutting , issue , problem

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.