Custom TJ Stock T-Case Shifter Mod Write-Up - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Custom TJ Stock T-Case Shifter Mod Write-Up

LOCKERS!!!! - ARB, Auburn, Detroit, Eaton, OX, Spartan, YuRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all ECGS Black Friday Sale!!

Unread 03-31-2009, 12:22 AM   #1
tatooweeny
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Custom TJ Stock T-Case Shifter Mod Write-Up

Custom TJ T-Case shifter mod write-up

I always had a problem with the E-brake style t-case shifter; you have to reach down to engage/disengage, and the look wasn't coinciding with the overall theme of my Jeep. Since I'm completely changing the interior, it was the next logical step towards the old school feel. This modification should work with a TJ with a stock or aftermarket center console as well, which is why I decided to try a write-up...

The tools:
eye and ear protection (safety first!)
A 3" cut-off wheel disc & grinder (or you could use a hacksaw)
A 5/16 (24 NF) tap & (I) drill bit (It's better to buy a whole set rather than individual pieces. My shifter knob has a 5/16 thread, your particular knob will probably be different)
Straight handle tap wrench
Cutting oil (keeps the bit and tap from getting too hot and possibly snapping inside your project!)
Power Drill (come-on, everyone should have one of these!)
Center punch & Hammer (Again, a doityerselfer neccesity)
Metal File (fine tooth is better for smoothing out)
Vise (preferably one that can hold something round without marring)
c-clamps (handy to keep things in place)

The materials:
Shifter knob (I think I paid 10 bucks for mine)
2 5/16 24 pitch grade 8 bolts '1 inch thread' (Probably overkill, but at .27 each it won't break the bank)
7/16 steel rod (I bought a $4.60 zinc plated rod to help with rust issues. It came in a 3' length)
Threadlock

Ok, the first step is deciding what kind of shifter knob. In my case, I wanted something close to a military type knob. I choose a '32 Ford shifter knob. Retails for 8-10 bucks, it is a resin knob with a threaded brass insert. Keep in mind, the type of bolt/thread pitch you need to purchase depends on what your knob comes with.

If you have a center console, now is a good time to take it out to prevent scratches or burn marks, etc. I'm sure someone has a write-up on that. You might be able do this mod with the console in & the t-case handle in 4wd low, just cover the console with something to minimize the metal shavings from getting all over the place. The rubber handle I cut off just to show how much material you have to work with. Be sure to clamp the shaft to prevent it from moving when cutting/tapping. Here's a pic of the shaft exposed:

Mark with masking tape where you want to cut. You want it just below the bend in the shaft. The tape acts as a guide & helps in cutting straight across and as flat as you can with a cutting disc/hacksaw. Once you start the cut, there's no turning back! Notice the clamp to hold it in place:

After cutting off the stock handle, file smooth and mark the center with a punch. Drill down appoximately 3/4",keeping the bit inline with the shaft. Be sure to use plenty of cutting oil, it keeps the heat down & the drill bit sharp.You should have a hole similar to this:

Now you're ready to tap the threads into the shaft. If you've never done this before, the trick is to use slow, smooth turns. Start with applying slight pressure to cut the first few threads (clockwise). Be sure to be perpendicular to the shaft. Continue turning clockwise without any downward pressure, backing out slightly after each turn to keep burrs from forming in the threads. Be heavy on the cutting oil, adding more every turn or so. This keeps the heat down, lubricates & helps prevent tap breakage.

After tapping a little past 1/2" down (don't bottom out the tap, it could break or damage threads), back it out slowly and then clean the threads. The best way is to blow it out with compressed air, but if you don't have a compressor, try a magnet attached to a small screwdriver:

Now comes the shaft extension. The best way to find the height you want is to sit inside your jeep and hold your arm out to where you want the shifter height to be. In my case, a comfortable 4" length increase was needed to be easy to reach the t-case shifter, but not obstructive when shifting the transmission.

Clamp your steel rod in your vise, measure to size & cut; again using masking tape as a guide. (Add 1/8" to compensate for cutting and filing.) You might need to cut the first 2-3 inches off the rod because it could be bent or have dings in it.

After cutting, position rod straight up in vise, & smooth both ends flat with your file and mark the centers with your punch. To keep your rod from getting damaged from the vise, you can use special vise inserts or blocks of wood. Drill holes 3/4" down using lots of cutting oil & a steady hand. If the hole isn't perfectly centered, it's not a complete loss. As long as it's close to center, the shaft extension won't be too noticeable after the console is remounted.
For my case, I had to have at least one good (completely centered) hole to connect the two shafts together. This one is a little off centered and will work for the knob side:

After both sides of the rod are drilled, tapped and cleaned, the next step is to cut the bolt threads to a 1" length. After cutting off threads, file end to smooth out. It's a good idea to test freshly cut threads before assembling everything. Attach the knob to shaft.

Finally, attach shaft extension to stock shaft. Ofcourse, you will want to paint or powdercoat the shaft, plus add locktight to the threads, but here is the final result of just a couple of hours worth of work:

As you can see, it's a lot higher and is easily reachable from any setting.

If you don't want to do the extension, you could just add the knob to the stock shaft:

Well, I hope this was entertaining for some and educational for others.
Thanks for looking and remember...
You don't have to spend a lot of money to customize your jeep. For more customized pics of my jeep, checkout my buildup thread: Custom 2001 Jeep Wrangler Military Project

tatooweeny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2009, 02:49 AM   #2
Jonny Jeep
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Nice work. I've been thinking of doing something similar to mine as it's even harder to reach on a RHD wrangler.

Rockauto 5% discount code can be found here... http://www.markviii.org/LOD2/products_services.htm

Online factory service manuals (FSMs) and parts lists can be viewed at http://www.jeep4x4center.com/knowledge-base/index.htm
If the link doesn't work properly, look for the service manual link under Jeep Resources at the bottom of the page.
Jonny Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2009, 07:21 AM   #3
bradthebard
the faux feather finish

2000 TJ Wrangler 

I love it. I am wanting to go for a kinda military-ish, old school look on mine. That is great!

I think these kinds of high creativity, low dollar mods are some of the coolest.

"...Indeed I have burned the candle at both ends, and it gave off such a glorious light..." - Christopher Hitchens
tales from the bard side
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradthebard View Post
Theology is one hundred blind men searching a dark room for a black cat that isn't there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by schitzangiggles View Post
Atheism is one hundred blind men in a dark room claiming there is no black cat because they can't see it.
bradthebard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2009, 07:32 AM   #4
wrangler2007
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Bookmarked and going to be a future project!

08 F150 5.4L, Super 40 SIDO, Roush Grille, Edge Evolution, Truxport, 2.5" AS Level, 1.5" AAL, 35x12.5x20 Nitto Trail Grapplers
wrangler2007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2009, 07:39 AM   #5
gseale
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Well done and GREAT idea!!!

~2006 TJ SE 2.4L~
~3" BDS lift, BDS Trackbar~
~LoD Heavy Duty Tire Bumper/Carrier~
~LoD Heavy Duty 44" Front Bumper~
~33/12.5/15 trXus STS Radial, 15X8 Pro Comp Series 8179's~
gseale is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2009, 07:44 AM   #6
Eriks99tj
1999 TJ Wrangler 

great job

Very nice work. I will be using you advice on this mod.
Eriks99tj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2009, 08:12 AM   #7
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

nice work, i like it.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2009, 08:34 AM   #8
NotURMailman
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Very nice. I've often cursed the shifter. Like th other guy said... tough to reach on a RHD model.
NotURMailman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-04-2010, 04:34 PM   #9
Holder350
1995 XJ Cherokee 

I know this thread is old as dirt, but I was wondering if the OP had some pics of the shifter with the console in.

98' XJ Classic - D30/C8.25 - 4.5" RC Lift - 33x12.50R15 - 4.0 HO - AW4 - NP231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzy View Post
You can tell the character of a person in how they treat someone who can do nothing for them.
Holder350 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-05-2010, 02:36 PM   #10
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Cool write-up. I'll have to store this under projects to do when I'm bored and looking to mess with something on the Jeep. I've got a Dodge Ram 4x4 with the 231 and it has the lever with a knob on it with the T-case shift pattern. I'll have to start looking for a Dodge Ram 4x4 knob next time I'm at a junkyard.
armyRN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-05-2010, 04:36 PM   #11
bairy
2006 LJ Wrangler 

nice job.
bairy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-17-2010, 05:59 PM   #12
DevilDogDoc
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Got mine done today, real pleased with it ended welding the extension to the tc lever as I can't drill straight to save my life. Easier shift into low with the added length.

Unread 12-17-2010, 07:13 PM   #13
Holder350
1995 XJ Cherokee 

YOUR CONSOLE HAS EATTED YOUR SHIFTBOOT!!!

Just thought you should know

Quote:
You can tell the character of a person in how they treat someone who can do nothing for them.
Unread 12-17-2010, 08:05 PM   #14
DevilDogDoc
1997 TJ Wrangler 

It has and I'm afraid to reach in there for fear of what it could do to my hand!!!!
Unread 12-17-2010, 08:11 PM   #15
Holder350
1995 XJ Cherokee 

I cant blame you!

Thanks for the pics btw, I'm thinking about doing this on my XJ

Quote:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.