Custom suspension - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Custom suspension

Magnaflow SS Cat Back Exhaust System, Street, High ClearanIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineBrand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!

Unread 01-19-2011, 02:10 AM   #1
Amerj
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Custom suspension

Hey everyone, I'm new to the forum so bear with me. I got a 03 jeep tj sport a while back and am starting to get ready to lift it. These are not as simple as the old chevy trucks to lift. So my goal is to keep the jeep low maybe 3" of lift . Has anybody bought different lift components from different companies and put them on their jeep. I was considering the AEV 3" springs with the currie/ rokmen control arms, currie antirock, track bars any one that can reccomend a good company would be great,bilstein shocks. Is that what makes the lift or is there anything missed? But anyways would that work?

I'm trying to do it right the first time.

Amerj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2011, 02:23 AM   #2
saddis
2003 WJ 

You picked very good springs, shocks and control arms for a first lift attempt. Trackbars for a 3" lift are not a have to, in the front anyway. Some people might disagree, but the front tracbar holds up good for a 2.5 to a 3" lift. It also has great clearance for the front dif if any aftermarket cover is added. For the rear tracbar a good option would be currie or JKS. Just remember to correct the bumpstops so you won't have any tire rubbing on the fenders. What tire size are you planning on running?
Unread 01-19-2011, 05:06 AM   #3
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amerj View Post
I'm trying to do it right the first time.
Understandable.

All of the companies you've mentioned are reputable, but I'd say the track bars are a must-have, personally. You're also going to want to think about what 3" of lift will do to your driveline angles.

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2011, 10:43 AM   #4
Amerj
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Alright sounds like I'm on the right track. I'm gonna run 33s for now so I have time to build for 35s properly (is drivetrain) . I'm not sure what you mean about the bumpstops. Can you explain?

Like I said new to the forum . Gotta learn sometime
Unread 01-19-2011, 10:48 AM   #5
LOCKED UP
Senior Web Wheeler

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amerj View Post
Alright sounds like I'm on the right track. I'm gonna run 33s for now so I have time to build for 35s properly (is drivetrain) . I'm not sure what you mean about the bumpstops. Can you explain?

Like I said new to the forum . Gotta learn sometime
Bump stops are rubber/poly "stops" that limit the axle up travel.

IE, when you jump off of something and "bottom out" the bump stops are what stop the axle from crashing through the frame.
(Note that some people sue their shocks for this but it is not recommended as it can/will damage the shocks).

By installing longer bump stops you prevent the axle from traveling to far upwards thus preventing larger tires from getting into the body work.

So, if/when you install larger tires, even if you have a lift, you still need to limit the up travel. Otherwise your axle could end up tucked up into the fender and with a larger tire ... bad things can happen.

98 XJ
LOCKED UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2011, 11:35 AM   #6
Amerj
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Okay great. That makes sense. I will have to add that to my to-do list. I will post pictures after it's all installed.
Unread 01-19-2011, 12:04 PM   #7
ytowntj
1999 TJ Wrangler 

For everything you mentioned buying other than the AEV springs (which I hear are awesome) I would contact Gerald at Savvy offroad for purchasing. He should be a bit cheaper (and tons more knowledgeable) than almost any other vendor out there. If you give him a call he can probably talk to you about some of the products you mentioned and how they will work together.

If it were me and I had the $$$ I would build to you general specs like this:
33 Bfg KM2s or Goodyear MTR kevlars for a MT, for AT go BFG AT or Duratrac
3" AEV springs
Bilstein 5100s
1" BodyLift /1" Motor mount lift OR Advanced Adapters SYE and Tom woods DC shaft
Currie or Rokmen arms
The Currie front upper axle end joints - If you can weld. I hear the greatly increase handling on road...
Currie antirock up front, stock swaybar in the rear
Currie track bar (talk to Gerald though to make sure it wont contact the front diff for only 3" of lift)
ZJ tie rod
Currie bumpstop kit. I have 2inch bumpstops up front and 1.25" in the rear for my 3" lift, but yours may be different

If you go the cheaper MML/BL route, you can do the SYE and driveshaft down the road and do a flat skid/tummy tuck. That would give you the belly clearance of 35s or bigger with only 33" tires.

When you go to 35s you need axle upgrades, steering upgrades, and brake upgrades. None of which are cheap.

The setup you outlined will be very capable. If you dont drive in the snow everyday, I would recommend Getting a front lunchbox locker. They do wonders offroad. I believe you can get an Aussie Locker for 249$ shipped currently from Northridge.
ytowntj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2011, 03:36 PM   #8
Amerj
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Okay thanks for the heads up. I will be calling him shortly. Thanks for the outline that is a huge help.It's easy to get lost trying to piece a kit together. Now all I have to do is buy em and put em on.

Tags
antirock , lift , low , suspension

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.