Custom storage enclosure - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Custom storage enclosure

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 10-28-2013, 10:14 PM   #1
05LJTampa
2005 LJ Wrangler 

So I need something bigger than my current instatrunk in my LJ since I now have that wasted 10-12" between it and my back seat. Having the deeper storage would be great to lock up all my vests, wetsuits, leashes, tools & winch accessories. So I decided to incorporate a downfiring sub enclosure into it as well going off some ideas on this forum Im come across but were geared towards regular tjs.

Think this will work? Ive been planning it out off and on the last week and self taught myself the design software.

image-1880792075.jpg

image-778987785.jpg

image-288987334.jpg

image-2775680330.jpg

05LJTampa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-28-2013, 10:40 PM   #2
Pentara
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Do you actually have a sub in your trunk for that separated area on the right? Also, it might be nice if the final version wasn't flush flat at the top but had a slight lip around the edges to prevent things from sliding off the top. Another thing you can consider is putting a hinge on the end so the top can be lifted up, and then with that center divider there you can easily insert a locking mechanism to prevent it being raised without access to the inside.

Just a few thoughts, but great effort.
Pentara is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-28-2013, 10:49 PM   #3
05LJTampa
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentara
Do you actually have a sub in your trunk for that separated area on the right? Also, it might be nice if the final version wasn't flush flat at the top but had a slight lip around the edges to prevent things from sliding off the top. Another thing you can consider is putting a hinge on the end so the top can be lifted up, and then with that center divider there you can easily insert a locking mechanism to prevent it being raised without access to the inside.

Just a few thoughts, but great effort.
Yeah on the right (rear of the large storage area would be a downfiring sub enclosure with some storage in front of the enclosure facing the tailgate) I put it flush at the top bc I dont ever see putting anything up there bc my top is down for 10months or so and would think adding a hinge top would just rattle too much bc of the bass. I really would access it from the tailgate since I have a swing away carrier and the spare tire sits so high. Great ideas and thats why im reaching out to you all to tweak my design
Unread 10-28-2013, 11:01 PM   #4
SOWEGA TJ
2005 TJ Wrangler 

i have a tj but plan on removing the rear seat...do you have the measurements of the top piece
SOWEGA TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-28-2013, 11:09 PM   #5
Pentara
2005 LJ Wrangler 

If you always have your top off then any consideration on adding weather stripping or some sort of seal to prevent water / airflow / dirt? Is that even a concern for you?

Also are you thinking of having this made out of wood, steel or plastic?

If you'll be making this yourself the one thing I strongly recommend is to make a template for each piece. (An item the right size with all the holes in the right place, like a stencil almost) This way if you ever want to re-create it (Maybe start making and selling them to other owners you'll have an easy time. I once tried to make a bookshelf and didn't consider templates, so each piece of the bookshelf was a 1 off custom and suffice to say, they didn't fit together very well.
Pentara is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-28-2013, 11:32 PM   #6
05LJTampa
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentara
If you always have your top off then any consideration on adding weather stripping or some sort of seal to prevent water / airflow / dirt? Is that even a concern for you?

Also are you thinking of having this made out of wood, steel or plastic?

If you'll be making this yourself the one thing I strongly recommend is to make a template for each piece. (An item the right size with all the holes in the right place, like a stencil almost) This way if you ever want to re-create it (Maybe start making and selling them to other owners you'll have an easy time. I once tried to make a bookshelf and didn't consider templates, so each piece of the bookshelf was a 1 off custom and suffice to say, they didn't fit together very well.
Yeah was going to take the weatherstripping from the instatrunk that i never installed and use that fill the gap btwn the enclosure and the tailgate.

I was going to use 3/4" mdf for at least the sub enclosure portion. I think the first one I do i'll bedline the entire storage area if I use mdf and see how that holds up. If it doesnt, then I'll fabricate it out of steel or fiberglass although Ive never used fiberglass before but may be worth trying. I live in FL so the top is really only up in july & august when its raining.
Unread 10-28-2013, 11:34 PM   #7
05LJTampa
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsellars
i have a tj but plan on removing the rear seat...do you have the measurements of the top piece
Its on my computer and Im on my phone now, but its roughly 35" wide and this is 22" deep.

I'm sure glad I bought an LJ instead of the TJ I was looking at bc I can keep my backseat in with this. Never know when I might stumble on 3single ladies wanting to ride in the jeep
Unread 10-28-2013, 11:45 PM   #8
SOWEGA TJ
2005 TJ Wrangler 

10-4. 2 can fit in the passenger seat and 1 on my lap
SOWEGA TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-12-2013, 10:10 AM   #9
05LJTampa
2005 LJ Wrangler 

UPDATE:

Heres the finished product. Turned out nice, had to make a few adjustments of real world jeep fitting vs my computer based design.

Lockable storage area now bigger than the instatrunk, for my tools, computer, wetsuits, vests and anything else really.

Holy smokes, anyone who ever says a jeep cant have bass when the top is down or doors off is full of it. Drove it yesterday 65mph no top or doors and even seat folded forward. Downfiring makes a huge difference. Running a single JL10w3
image-3624448735.jpg

image-2381659446.jpg

image-1006872900.jpg

image-1524757439.jpg

image-314644365.jpg

image-2061480021.jpg

Unread 11-12-2013, 10:26 AM   #10
ob269
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05LJTampa View Post
Holy smokes, anyone who ever says a jeep cant have bass when the top is down or doors off is full of it. Drove it yesterday 65mph no top or doors and even seat folded forward. Downfiring makes a huge difference. Running a single JL10w3
The 10w3 makes a huge difference too lol

Sweet looking box though..
ob269 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.