Custom Storage box done! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Custom Storage box done!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSteering and more from Ruffstuff!Even Better Heim Pricing! From Ruffstuff

Unread 02-03-2009, 09:58 AM   #1
ScottHarr_TJ
2010 WK 

Custom Storage box done!

For a while now, I have been toying around with the idea of dumping the back seats, and building some type of box to contain all of my trail gear. My first idea was raise up the seat brackets a few inches and build a slide out under the seat box. But the idea of bolting my rear seats to a sheet of plywood kind of takes away from the structural integrity and safety of the rear seats. I didnt want to cause any one riding in the back seats to go for a ride in the case of an accident or a rollover, so I ditched that idea. Besides, the whole back seat driver thing is not for me.
I decided that I wanted a few things for my box; I wanted it to slide in and out, I wanted it to have some neat compartments, I wanted it to lock, and I wanted to be able to remove it for any time I needed to. This project took about a week, between work and the rest of my busy life, but was fairly simple. My Dad is a woodworker, so for this project, I asked him for some help... needless to say he jumped all over it. Before I could even think about a design, he already had his own plans drawn up.

The supplies needed:
Your choice of any 8x4 sheet of plywood (you may need a little more if you measure once and try to cut twice... trust me)
Box of wood screws
Wood Glue
Socket set
Drill
Assortment of hinges, latches, and/or locks (all at your preference)
Heavy duty cabinet sliders

We started out by removing the back seats of the TJ. This step is fairly self explanatory. Take this time to clean out any mud or dirt that was under your carpets. I had alot.

We then proceeded to remove the T-55 bolt holding down the seat belts to the tub. We also removed the seat brackets, be sure to save the bolts as you will be re-using them.

Next came all the measurements we needed to take. How long, how tall, how wide. This part is up to you, you can make it as big as you want. We then cut out a template piece of plywood that we would be using to mount the sliders onto the box. Picture a cabinet drawer and how it slides out. Thats the idea, but instead of the slides being on the sides, we mounted ours to the bottom. We had to notch out a section so it would fit properly inside without any interference. We then used the bolts that held in the seat brackets to bolt the sheet into the tub.

Below is a shot of the notch we cut out.

And former seat bracket bolts in action. We had to countersink the wood so the bolts could thread in deep enough for a secure fit.

A few more measurements were taken for peace of mind and then it was off to the basement for some long sessions in the woodworking shop.
Be sure to plan out what pieces you will be cutting so you dont have to make run down to Home Depot for extra plywood. Trust me... Measure twice, cut once!
We cut out the bottom piece with our table saw and used a Dato blade to cut out all the grooves for the different compartments. As well as around the edge so we would have a nice flush fit with the sides.

Next, we measured and cut out the four sides to the box and again used the Dato blades to make more grooves.

Then we cut out all the different compartments we wanted and test fit them all. They fit up nice and snug. Those Dato blades make a huge difference in the looks of the box. My idea was to just cut and glue and screw, but seeing as my Dad is a woodworker, that wasn't going to cut it.

This is a Dato blade in case your wondering. Depending on how thick of a groove you want, its a few different blades turning to cut about a 1/2 inch groove. Pretty cool idea IMO.

Now its time for gluing it all up. Dont skimp on the wood glue. Wood glue is extremely strong and once its fully dried, it bonds with the wood and creates essentially one piece of wood between two. If you try to break it apart from the glued section, it will only break above where it was glued. Pretty strong stuff. Once its dried you can throw in a few wood screws here and there.

Blue Jeep Club Memeber #132?
My Custom Back Seat Box Build
ScottHarr_TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-03-2009, 09:59 AM   #2
ScottHarr_TJ
2010 WK 

While you wait for the glue to dry, go get some dinner and relax for a bit.
Next we cut out the top piece there. What we did, was take some fairly accurate measurements of the length of the box and cut out our last scrap of plywood to fit on top. Then we used a router with a ball bit to go around the edges to even it all up nice a flush so there was no hanging over the edges. We attached our hinges, handles and locks with some screws and the box portion was finished!

Below is a shot of the inside of the box. The outside compartment have blocks of wood that slide in and out when needed while the middle is permanent. We had some extra scrap laying around.

Next step is to mount the drawer sliders onto the box and then mount the sliders into the tub on your template piece of wood. We ended up needing to cut our original template in half because the middle would bow up under the weight of the box.

And lastly, fill your box up with gear and enjoy driving without and back seat drivers.

I plan on covering up the top with some indoor/outdoor matching carpet one of these days but for now its fine. you can color it or paint it or even deck it out with stickers.

After wheeling with the box, I had expected it to rattle around a good bit, but so far I have been rattle free! It really comes in handy to have all your gear with you. All in I would say the project took around 2 full days of working on it and netted around $100.00 bucks only because we bought very nice plywood and had to run back for another sheet of it after we cut off too much. But it was a great father son project and I came away with a few good woodworking skills! Happy wheelin!
Unread 02-03-2009, 10:02 AM   #3
TJineering
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Herculiner would be nice

Jeep - 99 TJ - 2002 4.0
TJineering is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-03-2009, 10:05 AM   #4
whiteguyjames
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Looks really good man. I was thinking about making something like that.
Unread 02-03-2009, 10:06 AM   #5
ScottHarr_TJ
2010 WK 

That would be cool looking. And i do plan on herculinin the whole tub soon so i may go that route. I had thought about putting my old husky liner for the backseat on top of it and cutting it to size so it looked real nice.
Unread 02-03-2009, 10:07 AM   #6
mrbates
RESIDENT METAL
2003 TJ Wrangler 

dat's a big knife!

2003 X. 3" SA. Locked D44s F/R. 35" MTR-K's
mrbates is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-03-2009, 10:09 AM   #7
ScottHarr_TJ
2010 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek B View Post
dat's a big knife!
thats a woodmans pal knife. its probably one of the most manliest tools in the world. my girlfriend got it for me for christmas and had my initial engraved in it.
Unread 02-03-2009, 10:16 AM   #8
LandoCommando
1997 TJ Wrangler 

The way things are in the back of my jeep Id be worried about water damage to the wood. Id seal it first.

Oh the irony.
LandoCommando is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-03-2009, 10:49 AM   #9
Niceface
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Thats nice. Market these and sell them!
Niceface is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-03-2009, 11:01 AM   #10
Scotch740
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Nice work.

I would herculine it like said above. Also you should look into adding some gas struts to hold the top up. Maybe some lights so you can see in it at night? You could get some TJ under hood lights that come on by them selves when the lid is raised.

Got some pictures of it extended out the back?
Scotch740 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-03-2009, 12:56 PM   #11
ScottHarr_TJ
2010 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotch740 View Post
Nice work.

I would herculine it like said above. Also you should look into adding some gas struts to hold the top up. Maybe some lights so you can see in it at night? You could get some TJ under hood lights that come on by them selves when the lid is raised.

Got some pictures of it extended out the back?
The other day i added some toy chest heavy duty hinges to it so it stays open when i lift the lid. i like the idea of the light alot, i might have to try that one out. the only thing i dont like about it is at night and i cant see anything in it. i'll get some pics of it extended out tonight.
Unread 02-03-2009, 01:40 PM   #12
ptra
2004 TJ Wrangler 

looks really good
market those man
Unread 02-03-2009, 09:33 PM   #13
ScottHarr_TJ
2010 WK 

Thanks for all the compliments guys. but if i sold them to people it would take all the fun out of it for you to do on your own. but hey... i need some cash...haha
Unread 02-03-2009, 09:46 PM   #14
bradthebard
the faux feather finish

2000 TJ Wrangler 

I used to do a lot of work for the pro sound industry, big sound systems for concerts and such. I don't know where they sourced it but a lot of companys made their own monitor cabinets out of a 3/4 plywood with some kind of plastic/rubber coating on it. It was incredibly durable and strong, though it was around $90 a sheet ten years ago. I'll have to look it up. That would make a perfect weatherproof exterior for one of thoses.

"...Indeed I have burned the candle at both ends, and it gave off such a glorious light..." - Christopher Hitchens
tales from the bard side
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradthebard View Post
Theology is one hundred blind men searching a dark room for a black cat that isn't there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by schitzangiggles View Post
Atheism is one hundred blind men in a dark room claiming there is no black cat because they can't see it.
bradthebard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-05-2009, 09:57 AM   #15
ScottHarr_TJ
2010 WK 

If its not 90 bucksI might be into tryin it out. I wanted to keep this box way cheaper than any type of "tuffy" box. but i do need it to be weatherproof for when it gets a little hotter around here. let me knew if you find out how much it costs these days.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.