custom roll cage idea - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > custom roll cage idea

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 07-06-2009, 08:45 PM   #1
yellowismellow
rubber duck sicko!

2006 TJ Wrangler 

custom roll cage idea

a buddy of mine is swapping his roll cage for an aftermarket one, and im going to be taking his cage. im also going to learn to weld. once i get decent at welding, i plan on cutting his stock cage up and using the pieces to reinforce my stock cage. is this worth it? i plan on adding a rear spreader, 45's running from the center hoop to the rear corners, and maybe sleeving the stock windshield-center hoop bars.

should i even tackle this? or save for a real cage?

Unread 07-06-2009, 08:50 PM   #2
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

no its not worth it. just buy the right stuff - 1.75x.120 DOM. the stock cage is a reasonable place to build from, but I wouldn't purposely cut up a stock cage to use as reinforcement - theres to many holes in it (padding mounts, seat belt mounts, soft top brackets, etc)
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2009, 09:45 PM   #3
Jeepguy1977
1998 TJ Wrangler 

And don't forget that the B-pillar hoop is multi-piece besides.
Rolled Red Jeep Club Member #7
Jeepguy1977 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-07-2009, 08:05 PM   #4
yellowismellow
rubber duck sicko!

2006 TJ Wrangler 

bump for more opinions.
Unread 07-07-2009, 08:10 PM   #5
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Do it right, or don't do it at all. Forget your idea. Also, welding a cage is NOT something that a newbie welder has any business messing with.
little_Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-07-2009, 08:39 PM   #6
Dogman
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Don't even talk about a cage until you have learned to weld and have several projects under your belt. Keep reading about cage design, there is a good thread in the Fabrication shop "stickies".

Welding is a lot of fun, but it's also a lot of practice. I have been doing it for a few years now and I'm just to the point where I would even consider doing a cage (which is coming soon).

Personally, I would keep saving and go with something like the AtoZ sport cage additions. I have a buddy with a bender, so I'll probably be making my own based off of that.

Good luck
Unread 07-07-2009, 08:51 PM   #7
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepguy1977 View Post
And don't forget that the B-pillar hoop is multi-piece besides.
Depends on the year. I know at least in 03 they welded them together and that's a pretty high strength way to do it. Or at least it's a very acceptable method for truck frames, so it should be just fine for a B pillar.
Unread 07-07-2009, 09:04 PM   #8
Jeepguy1977
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
Depends on the year. I know at least in 03 they welded them together and that's a pretty high strength way to do it. Or at least it's a very acceptable method for truck frames, so it should be just fine for a B pillar.
I haven't seen any welds on mine so far. Just seemed strange to me. But I would think either way, it wouldn't be a terribly good to build a cage by scavenging parts from a second stock roll bar.
Rolled Red Jeep Club Member #7
Jeepguy1977 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-07-2009, 09:31 PM   #9
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
on my 04, the B-pillar's slip fit joints were only welded on the top, maybe 1.25-1.5 inch long on each side. One weld was absolute crap, a fair amount of porosity and a HUGE bugger hanging off - literally a razor sharp wire sticking up like 1/2" - you could cut your finger half off if you grabbed the bar, no kidding. We ground that crap out and put two passes all the way around on each joint.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.