Custom Reverse Lights? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Custom Reverse Lights?

Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearXHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoSYE Kits from CCOR! 706-207-4140

Unread 12-14-2007, 03:59 AM   #1
TJamz
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Custom Reverse Lights?

Any pics on custom back up lights? This is my next project. I was going to go w/ Walmart/Canadian tire specials since there only reverse lights and cheap.
Something small, out of the way, low profile. Any tips?

TJamz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-14-2007, 04:22 AM   #2
Oman Jeep
Web Wheeler

Make sure it's a fog light.

I've got PIAA's with a 90 degree beam pattern. That means they light up the area 45 degrees to the left and 45 degrees to the right. When you're reversing, you'll be going slow and possibly doing a lot of steering - so a spot beam is useless.

I love my PIAA's because it's a nice smooth beam pattern and VERY bright out of a very small light, but if you want to go cheap, just make sure it's a fog beam.

I wired mine up independently of the reverse lights so I can turn them on as a work light if I wan to, and they don't come on in the city.
Oman Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-14-2007, 05:06 AM   #3
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

No pics,but I'm mounting some bright back up lights inside my Warn bumper behind the "W" cut out on each end
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-14-2007, 05:49 AM   #4
dogbluedrummer
Trust me....

2001 TJ Wrangler 

I used walmart fogs and wired them to a new switch next to the rear wiper and defrost swithces. I got a new OEM toggle for $25 at the stealership.

Everything I need to fix on the heep: ABS indicator, speed 4 on the blower fan, torn softop over driver's head, both seat release/tilt cables, missing center cap on spare, broken under hood light, wire up the CB, wiring problem with the reverse lights, broken bottle jack, leaky front and rear pinion seals, loose trackbar relocation bracket, torn drivers seat on the side, broken center console lock, lost nuts for door hinges, squeaking centering ball, loose parking brake cable, oil change and rotate the tires.
My build threadhttp://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/free-wife-good-home-pics-included-528892/
dogbluedrummer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-14-2007, 07:16 AM   #5
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogbluedrummer
I used walmart fogs and wired them to a new switch next to the rear wiper and defrost swithces. I got a new OEM toggle for $25 at the stealership.

Was that bumper accessory included with them?
Unread 12-14-2007, 07:39 AM   #6
skyjacked94xj
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theboogieman
Was that bumper accessory included with them?

Matches the jeep

CLASSIC TOY
1968 Chevy C-10 short bed
Chevy 350 crate motor | 4-speed | fully restored | Lowered | 20" Centerline Daggers.. wayyy too much to list

Project
1988 Pontiac Trans Am GTA
350 TPI | WS6 | 48k original miles | Flame Red Metallic

SOLD: 94 cherokee | Lifted | Locked
SOLD: 97 TJ | 33's | 4.56's | :(

Searching for an Ls-1 Rx-7 project....
skyjacked94xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-14-2007, 07:56 AM   #7
dogbluedrummer
Trust me....

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Let's just say it took a long time to add the lights, but I had a lot of fun!
Everything I need to fix on the heep: ABS indicator, speed 4 on the blower fan, torn softop over driver's head, both seat release/tilt cables, missing center cap on spare, broken under hood light, wire up the CB, wiring problem with the reverse lights, broken bottle jack, leaky front and rear pinion seals, loose trackbar relocation bracket, torn drivers seat on the side, broken center console lock, lost nuts for door hinges, squeaking centering ball, loose parking brake cable, oil change and rotate the tires.
My build threadhttp://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=528892
dogbluedrummer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-14-2007, 08:08 AM   #8
motobob13
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Can the fog lights (like 55W) be wired directly to the factory backup light circuit or does a relay need to be included? I'm also a fan of that model "bumper accessory".....
motobob13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-14-2007, 08:39 AM   #9
JeepRocks86
Some Call me RockDog

2003 TJ Wrangler 

not mine but if you get slim ones you can mount them like these.

I had KC lights on the rear of mine but I took them off because i didn't have a good mounting system.

I'm going to weld a tab on the rear bumper in January and drill a hole to mount them again.
My TJ Build Thread.
www.kifourwheelers.com
For Sale:
TJ Rear Dana 44 shaftsfor sale
3 11"& 2 13" BBCS shocks

JeepRocks86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-14-2007, 08:56 AM   #10
erickpl
1997 TJ Wrangler 

20.00 specials from O'Reilly's, mounted on the tire carrier.

Works on the reverse circuit AND from a switch on the dash...

Far right switch
Green Jeep Member #155
Low Output 4 Cylinder Jeep Member #35

Keep moving forward. But keep an eye on history, for if you don't, you are doomed to repeat it.
erickpl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-14-2007, 09:10 AM   #11
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by motobob13
Can the fog lights (like 55W) be wired directly to the factory backup light circuit or does a relay need to be included? I'm also a fan of that model "bumper accessory".....
I'm wiring mine directly into the backup light wires on the factory lights.
Unread 12-14-2007, 09:12 AM   #12
heezy101
1998 TJ Wrangler 

'98 TJ, Rough Country Long Arms, Curry HD steering with Redneck Ram Hydro assist, RE 4.5" Springs, Bilstein 5100's, 15x8 Procomp 1079, 35x12.50 BFG KM2's, LOD Signature series rear bumper and tire carrier with lights, Super 35, 4.56's, Detroit TruTrack front, ARB rear, Viair Heavy Duty OBA
heezy101 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-14-2007, 09:18 AM   #13
Crashnburn80
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theboogieman
I'm wiring mine directly into the backup light wires on the factory lights.
I would use a relay if your planning on keeping the factory lights opperational.

The factoy lights are not 55w, and if they were you would be doubling the load on that circuit by adding 2 more 55w lights, since they are likely less you will be more than doubling the load, which is asking to blow fuses at best.

OME ZJ/LJ combo | SwayLOC | 1.25" BL | Nth TT | Riddler diff covers | EMP gastank skid | 33" MTRs | Warn M8000 | Cobra75
and much more...

Riddler torture test video
Oil Filter Study
Useful Axle Info Thread
Crashnburn80 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-14-2007, 10:30 AM   #14
19OlllllllO41
Jeep Addict

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashnburn80
I would use a relay if your planning on keeping the factory lights opperational.

The factoy lights are not 55w, and if they were you would be doubling the load on that circuit by adding 2 more 55w lights, since they are likely less you will be more than doubling the load, which is asking to blow fuses at best.

X2, I would not wire them directly into the factory reverse lights, too much load for the stock wiring. You would be asking for trouble as Crashnburn80 said.
'04 WJ
The Past:
'83 CJ7, '92 YJ, '00 XJ, '99 TJ, '05 TJ Rubicon (Impact Orange)
19OlllllllO41 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-14-2007, 12:35 PM   #15
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashnburn80

thanks a bunch for that info but I was just going for the effect of the lights shining through the Warn "W".I was just going to wire small lights(not 55w),so do you still think the relay is the way to go?Thanks.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.