Custom Rear Storage - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Custom Rear Storage

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 03-31-2004, 04:01 AM   #1
sevise
Mo****rless

Custom Rear Storage

I'm interested in making a cutom rear stoarge box. I'd like it to go from the tailgate to the front seats, about 6-8 inches high. I'd rather build it myself for a couple reasons but mainly I just need something to do and I'd like to have it fit my needs.

If anyone has done this and has pictures or some words of advice I'd greatly appreciate it.

sevise is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2004, 05:55 AM   #2
JeepZen

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevise
I'm interested in making a cutom rear stoarge box. I'd like it to go from the tailgate to the front seats, about 6-8 inches high. I'd rather build it myself for a couple reasons but mainly I just need something to do and I'd like to have it fit my needs.
DORK ALERT!

I was planning to build one for a vacation I am going on this spring. I was going to build it out of 2x4s and 3/4" plywood and bolt it to the seat brackets and those holes the plastic Jeep trunk uses. I'll probably paint it black (or maybe tan to match the interior) so it doesn't look quite so obvious that it is homemade. You could cut the cost quite a bit by using thinner plywood but I like 3/4 because it is surprisingly strong. I considered maying a "cage" out of just 2x4s but somehow it seemed like that would be even dorkier and I figured someone might be able to slip a wrench/hand in and remove my bolts.

Yeah, I'm going to look like a huge dork, but I don't want to pay $200 for the Bestop extendatrunk when I can build one out of wood for like $30-40. I only plan to use it when I am on vacation(s) and I would not rely on it for overnight security. I just want something to stick my backpacks in to avoid "casual" theft. I hate leaving them strapped to the roll bars because they can be removed in about 30 seconds. I have a cable and lock I can use but the cable secures the packs through nylon straps. Cutting the nylon straps is probably faster and easier than removing all the bungies I use to keep them from shifting.

When (if) I get around to making it, I will definately post pics and measurements, but that may be a while (vacation is not until May).

Do not travel far to other dusty lands, forsaking your own sitting place;
if you cannot find the truth where you are now, you will never find it.
JeepZen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2004, 07:20 AM   #3
ttbone

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevise

If anyone has done this and has pictures or some words of advice I'd greatly appreciate it.
I took the steel enclosure approach and custom built a rear deck that basically covers the entire rear tub. 16g sheet welded to the upper rear lip. Makes a great "trunk" area that is lockable via the tail gate. The front it is also 16g that I customized to mount a high power sub speaker sytem so it doubles as a sub enclosure.
This may be a bit more that what your looking for and requires a commitment to no rear seat (no problem for me!). I just bought some polished aluminum diamond plate for cosmetic appearance as a cover plate for it that I will mount as soon as I finish the paint work. Let me know if you would like to see a pic of what I have so far. -TT
ttbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2004, 08:40 AM   #4
btolle

DELETED by author.

Bill Tolle

Last edited by btolle; 05-30-2004 at 10:11 PM..
btolle is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.