Currie Steering..Savvy Steering, old tie rod - JeepForum.com
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 187 Old 05-21-2010, 10:43 PM Thread Starter
GMC7000
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Currie Steering..Savvy Steering, old tie rod

If I switch to one of these options, will I be able to use the stock tie rod as a back up or spare?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 187 Old 05-21-2010, 10:47 PM
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I think if you break that steering you have more serious issues. I really wouldn't know if you can use it, but I will assume yes and say that I am 100% sure that I am 100% uncertain. I would like to know than answer, so I am subscribing.

Thanks to SuperWade2 For the 1 Year Upgrade!
Support Our Troops!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
JFI Member #7:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

: Mostly Stock 2005 I6 Patriot Blue TJ:
BESRK Rear Bumper, Hella 500s

Do the Jeep Wave :D 0|||||||0 Take 95% of what I say as a joke/sarcasm!-Thomas
post #3 of 187 Old 05-21-2010, 10:54 PM Thread Starter
GMC7000
1997 TJ Wrangler 

^^^ why did you get rid of the duck?

So let me get this straight, are you a student that stirs up the Jeep forum?

If so congrats

post #4 of 187 Old 05-21-2010, 10:57 PM
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I will tackle that one part at a time.

Why did I get rid of the duck? I was excited about the Rubi. I don't even think you really know where that is from anyway.

Am I a student that stirs up JF? I am a student of two different places at times. Right now, I am a student of one. JF continually teaches me new things. Yes, in the regular respect, I am a student. The break between semesters happens to be right now.

So, why the useless post?

Bump for real answers. I would imagine Gerald or Blaine will be in here soon enough.

Support Our Troops!

JFI Member #7:

post #5 of 187 Old 05-21-2010, 10:59 PM
BYuen

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
You won't be able to use the stock tie rod as a spare. The tie rod ends that come with the Currie steering system are much much larger and more heavy duty. They look like they belong under full sized 1-ton truck. When I got my Currie steering I sold my stock drag link and tie rod on Ebay.

2001 White TJ Sport
2013 Black JKU Rubicon 10A
post #6 of 187 Old 05-21-2010, 11:02 PM
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Did you have to ream out the knuckle for that? I was under the assumption that you didn't, and that is why I thought it might.

Support Our Troops!

JFI Member #7:

post #7 of 187 Old 05-21-2010, 11:05 PM
BYuen

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckRider View Post
Did you have to ream out the knuckle for that? I was under the assumption that you didn't, and that is why I thought it might.
Nope! No reaming necessary Complete bolt in. The stock tie rod won't be able to screw onto the much larger threads on the Currie rod ends.

EDIT: I guess he could use his stock tie rod as a spare... but he would also have to have the stock TREs too.

2001 White TJ Sport
post #8 of 187 Old 05-21-2010, 11:10 PM
BYuen

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Currie vs Stock

2001 White TJ Sport
post #9 of 187 Old 05-21-2010, 11:14 PM
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYuen View Post
Nope! No reaming necessary Complete bolt in. The stock tie rod won't be able to screw onto the much larger threads on the Currie rod ends.

I guess he could use his stock tie rod as a spare... but he would also have to have the entire stock steering system, drag link, TREs, etc. and swap it out lol.
OK, so it was the way I thought it was. I know he wouldn't have been able to use the tie rod without the old ends. I thought when you said no, you meant that there was physically no way because stuff changed.

Support Our Troops!

JFI Member #7:

post #10 of 187 Old 05-21-2010, 11:17 PM
BYuen

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
OK, so it was the way I thought it was. I know he wouldn't have been able to use the tie rod without the old ends. I thought when you said no, you meant that there was physically no way because stuff changed.
Yea though I guess he could use his stock tie rod with the stock TREs. I would imagine the stock TRE would fit into the Currie drag link since the Currie tie rod ends are the same.

2001 White TJ Sport
post #11 of 187 Old 05-21-2010, 11:58 PM Thread Starter
GMC7000
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYuen View Post
You won't be able to use the stock tie rod as a spare. The tie rod ends that come with the Currie steering system are much much larger and more heavy duty. They look like they belong under full sized 1-ton truck. When I got my Currie steering I sold my stock drag link and tie rod on Ebay.

Thanks for the info and help, just trying to decide what I want to do next.
post #12 of 187 Old 05-22-2010, 12:03 AM Thread Starter
GMC7000
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I will tackle that one part at a time.

Why did I get rid of the duck? I was excited about the Rubi. I don't even think you really know where that is from anyway.

Am I a student that stirs up JF? I am a student of two different places at times. Right now, I am a student of one. JF continually teaches me new things. Yes, in the regular respect, I am a student. The break between semesters happens to be right now.

So, why the useless post?

Bump for real answers. I would imagine Gerald or Blaine will be in here soon enough.
Ok I see what you are attempting here, but it is going to take many years of practice to get the Blaine thing down, you are not quite there, but keep learning.

LuckRider not trying to pick on you, I admire your dedication to posting,learning helping etc.

Now can I ask, in your opinion what order of importance would you place the following changes? armor underneath, anti rock, rocker panel protection, steering upgrade
post #13 of 187 Old 05-22-2010, 12:29 AM
Jon_Alex
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMC7000 View Post
Now can I ask, in your opinion what order of importance would you place the following changes? armor underneath, anti rock, rocker panel protection, steering upgrade
That would seem to be an obvious one...
post #14 of 187 Old 05-22-2010, 06:48 AM
robncar

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
...Now can I ask, in your opinion what order of importance would you place the following changes? armor underneath, anti rock, rocker panel protection, steering upgrade
I'd focus on stuff that would keep you from getting home. Armor gas tank, engine (tt prehaps?), radiator, and steering skid. Don't overlook diff covers and lower CA mounts. Then, steering upgrade or carry spare(s). The anti-rock would be last on that list.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/diy-alignment-kit-steps-w-pics-2264465/
post #15 of 187 Old 05-22-2010, 06:58 AM
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Ok I see what you are attempting here, but it is going to take many years of practice to get the Blaine thing down, you are not quite there, but keep learning.

LuckRider not trying to pick on you, I admire your dedication to posting,learning helping etc.

Believe me, I wasn't trying to do the Blaine thing. I could never pull it off. He is to blunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by robncar View Post
I'd focus on stuff that would keep you from getting home. Armor gas tank, engine (tt prehaps?), radiator, and steering skid. Don't overlook diff covers and lower CA mounts. Then, steering upgrade or carry spare(s). The anti-rock would be last on that list.
As for order, I would say that needs to be evaluated by what kind of wheeling you would do. Since I had an accident on road I am almost positive was caused by steering, I would say that. Then things to get you home like armor underneath (radiator, lower CA mounts). I wouldn't worry sop much about your gas tank skid unless it is rusted out because even if you dent and abuse it to the point where you can only get 13 gallons in a 19 gallon tank, you can still get home. If you rip off a CA or punch a hole in the radiator, then you are screwed.

Support Our Troops!

JFI Member #7:

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.