Currie steering question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Currie steering question

Jeep Grand Cherokee Headlight AssembliesJeep Wrangler Wheel Bearing & Hub - FrontPremium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDG

Unread 06-26-2013, 07:40 AM   #1
DirtRider1357
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Currie steering question

I'm making the jump to 35's on my lj rubi and was going to just do the Zj steering upgrade, but after some thinking I decided to save a little extra and do black magic brakes and currentlync steering. My question is, should I save a little more for the whole system or do I just need the tie rod? It's my dd with light to possible moderate weekend wheeling. Thanks to all.

Also on a different note, does anyone know If these wheels will fit on my jeep
15x8 3.75 spacing
http://www.quadratec.com/products/92600_002X_P5__PG.htm

DirtRider1357 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2013, 07:42 AM   #2
BYuen
2001 TJ Wrangler 

For Currie steering, you need the whole system which consists of the drag link as well. The Currie tie rod will not fit on the much smaller oem rod ends.
BYuen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2013, 07:44 AM   #3
Fingers302
2006 LJ Wrangler 

For light wheeling though, if money is an issue, I think your stock steering will be ok. Mine is still stock and I wheel pretty hard, but not that often. The brakes are a sure thing though.

"You can have things, or you can have kids, but you cant have kids and things because they will rat your sh*t!"

06 LJ Rubicon, OME HD springs, 2" spacers front, 1.5" spacer rear, Bilstein 5100s, Currie Anti-Rock on front, Currie control arms, 315/75 Coopers, UFC Ultra Clearance TT and Engine skids, in aluminum of course ;), bumpers and winch....Oh, and a pool ball shifter. That's good for at least 5 more hp....at the crank at least.

Support your local chapter of the Nam Knights Motorcycle Club

[QUOTE=sanmy1412;14062467]
I got home late last night and was just playing with it a bit .... took it out and it was noticeably stiffer ... my hand actually got tired from the effort[/QUOTE]
Fingers302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2013, 07:47 AM   #4
BYuen
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fingers302 View Post
For light wheeling though, if money is an issue, I think your stock steering will be ok. Mine is still stock and I wheel pretty hard, but not that often. The brakes are a sure thing though.
Oem steering is not ok with 35s for light wheeling. ZJ tie rod is a bare minimum.

Unread 06-26-2013, 07:48 AM   #5
NotURMailman
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I wouldn't recomend stock steering with 35s for any wheeling. But, the ZJ stuff may be an alternative. If you can aford it, go ahead and do the Currie.

I can't get your link, but it they have the right bolt pattern that size and backspacing will be fine.

I drive on the right side, what's wrong with you?

Quote:
Be very careful with the wife mod. Uninstallation can be extremely expensive. Wife mods have been known to take the Jeep and all other mods during the uninstall process. Also, make sure you service your wife mod properly as often as humanly possible. Wife mods not properly serviced may malfunction or uninstall themselves at any time.
NotURMailman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2013, 07:48 AM   #6
Gary2
2005 TJ Wrangler 

If I understand your question correctly , the only way to go with Currie is the whole Currectlync system not just their tie rod . The ZJ tie rod may be slightly stronger than OE TJ but still uses the small OE sized joints inside the ends ( not the stud, the actual parts that wear ) which don't compare to the Currie at all. The price is much larger but normally so are your tires and wheels in comparison to the OE which is what the tiny TREs were made for.. not to mention the angles the OE TRE joints are on is not optimum where the Currie is angled so the ends are working at the correct angle when installed on a lifted vehicle. You get more than you may think for a few bucks more.
Unread 06-26-2013, 07:57 AM   #7
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Guys, Currie TRE studs are the same size as stock....otherwise they wouldn't fit into the tapered holes in the knuckles and pitman arm. The shanks are larger. You can run a Currie tie rod with the stock drag link and the Currie drag link with the stock tie rod. But neither one of those scenarios makes a whole lot of sense....get them both and don't worry about it.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2013, 08:03 AM   #8
5spdftw
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
Guys, Currie TRE studs are the same size as stock....otherwise they wouldn't fit into the tapered holes in the knuckles and pitman arm. The shanks are larger. You can run a Currie tie rod with the stock drag link and the Currie drag link with the stock tie rod. But neither one of those scenarios makes a whole lot of sense....get them both and don't worry about it.
^This. I just swapped it all over and wrapped up my stock stuff as spares. Do it once and be done with it. I think I remember MO2500 going through a mountain of ZJ tie rods before he made his own steering.
5spdftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2013, 08:05 AM   #9
BYuen
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped
Yes, I was saying you can't get the Currie tie rod without the Currie ends and expect to use it on the oem TREs. Thats what I thought the op was asking. I didn't think about the other combination of using the Currie tie rod and ends with the stock drag link. That doesn't make sense either.
Unread 06-26-2013, 10:20 AM   #10
DirtRider1357
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Okay cool, I'm going to go with this once I get the money. Where is the cheapest place to buy it from or is it about the same everywhere?
DirtRider1357 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2013, 10:21 AM   #11
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

www.savvyoffroad.com is a good source for discounted Currie parts.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2013, 10:22 AM   #12
NotURMailman
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Look around. Savvy usually has pretty good prices on Currie stuff.

Quote:
Be very careful with the wife mod. Uninstallation can be extremely expensive. Wife mods have been known to take the Jeep and all other mods during the uninstall process. Also, make sure you service your wife mod properly as often as humanly possible. Wife mods not properly serviced may malfunction or uninstall themselves at any time.
Unread 06-26-2013, 11:06 AM   #13
SlackJaw
baby jeep

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I would personally go for the Currie steering on 35's...I don't think the ZJ will hold up eventually.
SlackJaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2013, 11:09 AM   #14
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Even on 33s and light wheeling you can bend you stock tie rod. I did the ZJ swap years ago. I did have to replace it once, I never bent it but the joint on the end (psng side) did wear out and caused DW.

2001 TJ, 33 trxus MTs , W, locked, belly up, some armor.

"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time." Zig Ziglar
Ross is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2013, 11:11 AM   #15
NotURMailman
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Do people just read the first post and then respond? The OP already said he decided to go with the Currie steering.

Quote:

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.