Currie steering question - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 36 Old 06-26-2013, 07:40 AM Thread Starter
DirtRider1357
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Currie steering question

I'm making the jump to 35's on my lj rubi and was going to just do the Zj steering upgrade, but after some thinking I decided to save a little extra and do black magic brakes and currentlync steering. My question is, should I save a little more for the whole system or do I just need the tie rod? It's my dd with light to possible moderate weekend wheeling. Thanks to all.

Also on a different note, does anyone know If these wheels will fit on my jeep
15x8 3.75 spacing
http://www.quadratec.com/products/92600_002X_P5__PG.htm

87 YJ, 4.0L, 5speed......sold, 05 LJ Rubicon
"It'll buff out"
"If it moves and shouldn't, use Duct Tape & Zip Ties. If it doesn't move and should, use WD-40 & A hammer"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old 06-26-2013, 07:42 AM
BYuen

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
For Currie steering, you need the whole system which consists of the drag link as well. The Currie tie rod will not fit on the much smaller oem rod ends.
post #3 of 36 Old 06-26-2013, 07:44 AM
Fingers302
2006 LJ Wrangler 

For light wheeling though, if money is an issue, I think your stock steering will be ok. Mine is still stock and I wheel pretty hard, but not that often. The brakes are a sure thing though.

Fingers
06 LJ Rubicon, not stock
83 CJ 7, all stock
84 CJ7, dang near stock - Daily Driver!
post #4 of 36 Old 06-26-2013, 07:47 AM
BYuen

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fingers302 View Post
For light wheeling though, if money is an issue, I think your stock steering will be ok. Mine is still stock and I wheel pretty hard, but not that often. The brakes are a sure thing though.
Oem steering is not ok with 35s for light wheeling. ZJ tie rod is a bare minimum.

post #5 of 36 Old 06-26-2013, 07:48 AM
NotURMailman
Web Wheeler

2005 TJ Wrangler 

I wouldn't recomend stock steering with 35s for any wheeling. But, the ZJ stuff may be an alternative. If you can aford it, go ahead and do the Currie.

I can't get your link, but it they have the right bolt pattern that size and backspacing will be fine.

My RHD TJ - Savvy equipped... And loving it!

I drive on the right side, what's wrong with you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deacon View Post
It's difficult to take you seriously. It's like you're an easily perturbed autistic teenager who's drunk typing the whole time.
post #6 of 36 Old 06-26-2013, 07:48 AM
Gary2
2012 JK Wrangler 

If I understand your question correctly , the only way to go with Currie is the whole Currectlync system not just their tie rod . The ZJ tie rod may be slightly stronger than OE TJ but still uses the small OE sized joints inside the ends ( not the stud, the actual parts that wear ) which don't compare to the Currie at all. The price is much larger but normally so are your tires and wheels in comparison to the OE which is what the tiny TREs were made for.. not to mention the angles the OE TRE joints are on is not optimum where the Currie is angled so the ends are working at the correct angle when installed on a lifted vehicle. You get more than you may think for a few bucks more.
post #7 of 36 Old 06-26-2013, 07:57 AM
Imped
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Guys, Currie TRE studs are the same size as stock....otherwise they wouldn't fit into the tapered holes in the knuckles and pitman arm. The shanks are larger. You can run a Currie tie rod with the stock drag link and the Currie drag link with the stock tie rod. But neither one of those scenarios makes a whole lot of sense....get them both and don't worry about it.

OlllllllO
Float Test Build
IndyORV
post #8 of 36 Old 06-26-2013, 08:03 AM
5spdftw
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
Guys, Currie TRE studs are the same size as stock....otherwise they wouldn't fit into the tapered holes in the knuckles and pitman arm. The shanks are larger. You can run a Currie tie rod with the stock drag link and the Currie drag link with the stock tie rod. But neither one of those scenarios makes a whole lot of sense....get them both and don't worry about it.
^This. I just swapped it all over and wrapped up my stock stuff as spares. Do it once and be done with it. I think I remember MO2500 going through a mountain of ZJ tie rods before he made his own steering.

2002 Apex
4.0L 5spd, D30/D44, AlloyUSA, TenFactory
Atlas, Currie, Savvy, Ox, ARB, 35" Kevlars
post #9 of 36 Old 06-26-2013, 08:05 AM
BYuen

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped
Yes, I was saying you can't get the Currie tie rod without the Currie ends and expect to use it on the oem TREs. Thats what I thought the op was asking. I didn't think about the other combination of using the Currie tie rod and ends with the stock drag link. That doesn't make sense either.
post #10 of 36 Old 06-26-2013, 10:20 AM Thread Starter
DirtRider1357
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Okay cool, I'm going to go with this once I get the money. Where is the cheapest place to buy it from or is it about the same everywhere?

87 YJ, 4.0L, 5speed......sold, 05 LJ Rubicon
"It'll buff out"
"If it moves and shouldn't, use Duct Tape & Zip Ties. If it doesn't move and should, use WD-40 & A hammer"
post #11 of 36 Old 06-26-2013, 10:21 AM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

www.savvyoffroad.com is a good source for discounted Currie parts.

Getting Savvy...

When you have a choice, buy American.
post #12 of 36 Old 06-26-2013, 10:22 AM
NotURMailman
Web Wheeler

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Look around. Savvy usually has pretty good prices on Currie stuff.

Quote:
It's difficult to take you seriously. It's like you're an easily perturbed autistic teenager who's drunk typing the whole time.
post #13 of 36 Old 06-26-2013, 11:06 AM
SlackJaw
baby jeep

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I would personally go for the Currie steering on 35's...I don't think the ZJ will hold up eventually.
post #14 of 36 Old 06-26-2013, 11:09 AM
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Even on 33s and light wheeling you can bend you stock tie rod. I did the ZJ swap years ago. I did have to replace it once, I never bent it but the joint on the end (psng side) did wear out and caused DW.

01 TJ, 34 Super Swaper 34x10.5 bias, Winch, locked, belly up, some armor, 4.0, 5spd
post #15 of 36 Old 06-26-2013, 11:11 AM
NotURMailman
Web Wheeler

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Do people just read the first post and then respond? The OP already said he decided to go with the Currie steering.

Quote:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.