Currie steering issues - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Currie steering issues

Disc Brake Kits from ECGSECGS JK Dana 60 Bolt In Rear DiffGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 05-07-2014, 09:39 PM   #1
Shuggs
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Currie steering issues

I just finished installing my Currie steering and overall I am very happy with it; however I installed it according to the instructions but still have a few issues with clearance during compression of my suspension.

The first is the the tie-rod clamp on the passenger side is preventing me from adjusting my toe properly, but I know i can solve this by swapping the bolt for a 2 1/4 long 3/8-24 bolt.

The second problem is that the tie-rod contacts the tip of the u-bolt that holds the stabilizer bracket to the drag-link. This occurs about 3" before the bumpstop cup contacts the coil perch. Can I just rotate the bracket up, or do I need to pull the axle back a little?

The third issue is the clamps on the drag-link adjuster look like they might contact something during compression. Unfortunately I can't verify this until I can solve the stabilizer bracket interference. If this ends up being a real issue I think it can be solved the same way as the first one, I just don't know what bolt size would work.

Any help would be appreciated since this is my DD so don't have the time to play around with it until I can figure it out.

Thanks

Shuggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2014, 08:27 AM   #2
DoughBro
Tonka Tuff

2003 TJ Wrangler 

I just did Currie steering too but I got my tie rod from Ironmand4x4 so I can't help with that....Could you slide the ubolts and bracket higher on the drag link? post a pic
DoughBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2014, 08:43 AM   #3
stump1
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuggs View Post
I just finished installing my Currie steering and overall I am NOT very happy with it;

Thanks
fickstit for u
Unread 05-08-2014, 11:56 AM   #4
jeepinhokie
built not bought

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuggs View Post
I just finished installing my Currie steering and overall I am very happy with it; however I installed it according to the instructions but still have a few issues with clearance during compression of my suspension.

The first is the the tie-rod clamp on the passenger side is preventing me from adjusting my toe properly, but I know i can solve this by swapping the bolt for a 2 1/4 long 3/8-24 bolt.

The second problem is that the tie-rod contacts the tip of the u-bolt that holds the stabilizer bracket to the drag-link. This occurs about 3" before the bumpstop cup contacts the coil perch. Can I just rotate the bracket up, or do I need to pull the axle back a little?

The third issue is the clamps on the drag-link adjuster look like they might contact something during compression. Unfortunately I can't verify this until I can solve the stabilizer bracket interference. If this ends up being a real issue I think it can be solved the same way as the first one, I just don't know what bolt size would work.

Any help would be appreciated since this is my DD so don't have the time to play around with it until I can figure it out.

Thanks
1. whats wrong with the tie-rod clamp bolt? why is it preventing you from adjusting your toe? those clamps spin with the tie rod when you adjust your toe.

2. you can configure that steering stablizer bracket anyway you need to.

3. the drag link adjuster bolts shouldnt contact anything. mine contacted the tie rod after flipping my passenger side tie rod to the top using blains TRE flip insert. I was able to rotate the adjuster sleeve clamps to aleviate that problem though. keep in mind my tie rod and drag link are well used and are known to have slight bends in them.

A Hokie build

check out my jeepin videos!
jeepinhokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2014, 08:30 PM   #5
Shuggs
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinhokie View Post
1. whats wrong with the tie-rod clamp bolt? why is it preventing you from adjusting your toe? those clamps spin with the tie rod when you adjust your toe.

2. you can configure that steering stablizer bracket anyway you need to.

3. the drag link adjuster bolts shouldnt contact anything. mine contacted the tie rod after flipping my passenger side tie rod to the top using blains TRE flip insert. I was able to rotate the adjuster sleeve clamps to aleviate that problem though. keep in mind my tie rod and drag link are well used and are known to have slight bends in them.
Thanks for the reply.

There are small grooves in the tie-rod and drag-link adjuster that limit the clamp from rotating. I searched and found that replacing the ones on the tie-rod clamp with the 3/8 bolt will fix this, I couldn't find the size of bolt that will achieve the same thing with the drag-link adjuster.
Unread 05-08-2014, 08:32 PM   #6
Shuggs
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stump1 View Post
fickstit for u
I am happy with it. While I may have some issues with it, I know they are fixable considering the number and variety of rigs that don't have those issues.
Unread 05-09-2014, 05:29 AM   #7
Scott_98TJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stump1 View Post
fickstit for u
He said it right, you didn't

I had to replace the bolt and spin the passenger side clamp on mine also, no worries on that. Stabilizer, as said, just make the needed adjustment, shouldn't be much. Not sure on your drag link, just to be sure, you are running a stock pitman arm right?

Hey jeepinhokie, Blaine's flip kit flips the driver side.... Unless you meant the sway bar bracket .... Still on first coffee in case I misunderstood lol.

Kentucky Krawlers
Scott_98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2014, 08:13 AM   #8
jeepinhokie
built not bought

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_98TJ
Hey jeepinhokie, Blaine's flip kit flips the driver side.... Unless you meant the sway bar bracket .... Still on first coffee in case I misunderstood lol.
Your correct. Drivers side, don't know what I was thinking.

A Hokie build

check out my jeepin videos!
jeepinhokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2014, 08:49 AM   #9
WeezyBlue
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I rotated the clamp using a hammer as I spun the adjustor sleeve.
WeezyBlue is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.