Currie J-Arms - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Currie J-Arms

Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 01-17-2006, 06:35 PM   #1
whitefiesta

Currie J-Arms

Does anyone around here run a J arm suspension?

Lookin to find out what yall think about this
I know the advantages of it and the disadvantage of the arms hanging low on the axle. But what do you think this kit offers over a long arm setup.Other than the cleance under the frame.

How is it on road?
How bout offroad (wheel lifting?)
anyone got any articulation shots with these bad boys installed?

Thanks

whitefiesta is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-17-2006, 06:40 PM   #2
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitefiesta
Does anyone around here run a J arm suspension?

Lookin to find out what yall think about this
I know the advantages of it and the disadvantage of the arms hanging low on the axle. But what do you think this kit offers over a long arm setup.Other than the cleance under the frame.

How is it on road?
How bout offroad (wheel lifting?)
anyone got any articulation shots with these bad boys installed?

Thanks
It's an outstanding product that works really well. It has many of the benefits of a long-arm suspension without the drawbacks. They do require welding since they don't use the factory control arm mounting brackets. If you PM mrblaine, he can give you a good technical opinion that will likely sell you on them.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.
Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-17-2006, 07:27 PM   #3
got4-Lo

here is a great write up... done by battallion14 (joel)

http://www.webwheeling.com/index.php...ry_view&iden=6

[URL]webwheeling.com[/URL]
got4-Lo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2006, 05:18 PM   #4
whitefiesta

Im pretty much sold on this idea here.
I love the clearance you retain with these arms.
And by the looks of it everyone who has them has only good things to say about em.
i just wonder why more people dont run em
Unread 01-19-2006, 07:32 AM   #5
Scott_98TJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
i just wonder why more people dont run em
Because it's not a bolt-on install IMHO. If I was building something now, I'd seriously consider this option.

Kentucky Krawlers
Scott_98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2006, 07:47 AM   #6
UCTJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Ive never heard anyone say a bad thing about them, whenever someone does speak of them, its always very good. But as stated b/c its not a bolt on, that tends to shy away some people who just dont either have the time, tools, or skills to install them.
UCTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2006, 12:07 PM   #7
battallion14
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I am very happy with the Currie J arms. The other thing you should consider is outboarding the shocks at the same time. I didn't think of it at the time and my first time out on the J arm setup I bottomed out the rear shocks everywhere I went. You will get a few other benefits from outboarding the shocks as well. http://www.webwheeling.com/index.php...ry_view&iden=7

Like Jerry said, talk to Blaine. I read a lot of Blaine's posts and contributions before going foward with this and he presented a lot of valuable information.
Unread 01-19-2006, 12:30 PM   #8
neZZr
Lifted/Locked/Rolled/Sunk

2005 TJ Wrangler 

I definately plan on moving my shocks out like that eventually... very worthwhile mod I'd say.

Could we get mrblaine attracted to this thread to share those j-arm opinions???
<set up mrblaine searchlight>

I'll be Savvy someday!
neZZr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2006, 02:22 PM   #9
Kerndone
I lack money

1999 TJ Wrangler 

I chuckled as I made this (using the first two pictures I found from google search)...its a rocker guard (since its such a bad picture). Come on mrblaine, at least a non-tech post is in order now!

Although I would like to see StealthTJ and MrBlaine in on this thread, I believe there already is one and searching will yield adequate results. Let me see if I can find the thread I am thinking of...

-Frank

EDIT:Here's one of the threads I was thinking about. I also found another one, but I'd rather not resurrect that one, you can search for "currie j-arms." Surprisingly this was a very successful search, I figured j-arms would give me problems.

'99 TJ - work in progress...see profile

'08 WK - Silver RME, DD.

Last edited by Kerndone; 01-19-2006 at 08:40 PM.. Reason: Link to search was not working...
Kerndone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2006, 05:50 PM   #10
whitefiesta

I would much rather have blaine contribute to this thread rather than via PM. More tech we can get on here the better.

Also.. I have an over the axle TB mount already attached to my d30. How do i go about making it fit Should i just cut my adj TB so it fits? Any suggestions?
Can i run the track bar up there on stock geometry for now?

Thanks
Unread 01-19-2006, 07:07 PM   #11
Spartan302

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford
It's an outstanding product that works really well. It has many of the benefits of a long-arm suspension without the drawbacks. .
Like no radius arms.
Spartan302 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2006, 07:43 PM   #12
battallion14
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I would much rather have blaine contribute to this thread rather than via PM. More tech we can get on here the better.

Also.. I have an over the axle TB mount already attached to my d30. How do i go about making it fit Should i just cut my adj TB so it fits? Any suggestions?
Can i run the track bar up there on stock geometry for now?

Thanks
That depends on where it is currently located and where you plan on locating the the axle LCA mounts. Andy ended up making me a custom adjustable tracker with RE joints because the RE trackbar was too long to fit.

These are the best pics I have of mine. I could take some better ones if they will help you at all.

Unread 01-19-2006, 09:09 PM   #13
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

At the risk of offending the post police, I'll try it again. Fair warning, if you don't like the way I say things, take your whiny self elsewhere. You're not gonna change how I say what I say, so make up your mind now to either tolerate my posts or place me on ignore. Get it? Got it? Good!

We have a saying in JV. If you have short arms, it's not worth the disadvantages of long arms to swap, if you have long arms, it's not worth the disadvantages of short arms to swap. But, you would both be well suited to swap to the J-arms. Best of both, rarely get hung up, and very stout arms with rebuildable ends. In fairness though, In the entire time I've been running J-arms, I've never had to rebuild a Johnny Joint.

I took them apart this last suspension go round to rebuild them, they were in perfect shape and with a thorough cleaning, a repack of some grease into them, and we're good to go for a few more years.

I will post up some pics in a few more weeks of a rig with some J-arms I am building. My buddy whom I'm assisting with this wanted to know why the arms are better. The pic will illustrate the angles better than I can describe them.

First you have to understand a few suspension basics and why we screw the pooch when we lift a rig to fit 35's.

Imagine a control arm that points nearly straight up and down. As you hit a bump the jolt will be transferred straight to the frame. If your arm is level, almost none of the jolt will be felt. Now, that is highly oversimplified but it's extreme to show why the angles on a short arm affect the performance and why the flattening of that angle with long arms produces a better ride at the expense of ground clearance.

Enter the J-arm. It's not only longer by virtue of attaching to the rear of the axle, but because you move the mount up to the center of the rear tube, the effective angle through the pivot points means it's nearly a flat arm without being a rock catcher. I showed this to my buddy and the look on his face was priceless. He couldn't believe that you could get a flat arm on a lifted rig just by virtue of manipulating the mounting points.

Also being longer, the arc that the axle swings in is bigger and aids in getting the tires up over stuff. Go back to the example and imagine trying to get a tire over something with the arm straight down. It would have to lift the whole side of the rig as it starts to climb and impair performance. The flatter angle is a big improvement.
Unread 01-19-2006, 09:19 PM   #14
cincytj

I have looked at the pictures and I cant quite see how these are attached. Can someone use ms pain or get a really good picture from the side to see how this geometry looks? I am confused in that a arm is only as long as the joint to joint lenght. granted the new joint is behind the axle no in front (on the rear axle) but the result is only about 6-8 inches? lA are about 18-20 inches longer so is it the length change or the mount point change that makes the arm work better? if so, could you make a long arm j-arm?
knoblock rear bumper, OBA in process,
bestop tire carrier, 35-12.5-16 trXus MT's on MOABs with 1.25 spidertrax
Currie HD steering
Nth Degree 6" LA kit. Garvin Wilderness Rack w/hi-lift mnt
HEMI & 5spd Auto
cincytj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2006, 09:21 PM   #15
Caesars0331

[QUOTE=mrblaine]At the risk of offending the post police, I'll try it again. Fair warning, if you don't like the way I say things, take your whiny self elsewhere. You're not gonna change how I say what I say, so make up your mind now to either tolerate my posts or place me on ignore. Get it? Got it? Good!

You seem quite knowledgeable and full of relevant, factual information. However, get over yourself. I know you donít talk to people like that in person!!!

LOL..Interesting and direct rundown on the control arms, however

2" REBB, 1.25" JKS BL, 1" JKS BMML, 33x10.5x15 BFG AT, ******* LED tail lights, 55w backup lights, Compustar Remote Starter / Alarm

Semper Fidelis

Fortes Fortuna Juvat
Caesars0331 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.