Currie HD Steering and my setup - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Currie HD Steering and my setup

ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Ruffstuff XJ Unirail Channel Reinforcement....Rugged Ridge Modular XHD Snorkel Now for both 3.8L and 3.6

Unread 04-13-2009, 11:01 AM   #16
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

When checking that the track bar and drag link are parallel, don't be confused by the rods themselves. The track bar has some bends in it that can sometimes make it appear to be at a different angle than what it really is. What needs to be parallel would be the imaginary lines drawn directly between each of their two mounting points. If your upper track bar mounting point is stock and not dropped, and you don't have a dropped Pitman arm, I doubt they would not be parallel to each other.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

TJ
HOLIDAY THEMED GIVEAWAY!
Jerry Bransford is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2009, 11:47 AM   #17
dallasjetfan
2013 JK Wrangler 

They look to be parallel.
dallasjetfan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2009, 01:35 AM   #18
dallasjetfan
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubiconRazorbac View Post
Just for a safety check: With your possible bumpsteer along with the OME kit and JKS trackbar, check to make sure your trackbar isn't hitting that riddler cover when you hit a good dip or flex it out. This can be a problem.

Bumpsteer happens when your drag link and trackbar aren't parallel--like BarneyJEEP said, but there are several threads on this forum about trackbars hitting diff covers with your setup. That could be causing your problem as well.
Could the trackbar hitting the cover (albeit only slightly and infrequently) be causing the trackbar to come loose, shift, etc.? The problem seems to be getting a little worse and it started after I installed the Riddler covers. Coincidence?
Unread 05-03-2009, 01:51 AM   #19
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasjetfan View Post
Could the trackbar hitting the cover (albeit only slightly and infrequently) be causing the trackbar to come loose, shift, etc.? The problem seems to be getting a little worse and it started after I installed the Riddler covers. Coincidence?
I don't know what trackbar you have, but if you don't quit smacking it with the diff cover, you stand a strong change of breaking it at the mount and you won't like what happens after that.
Unread 05-03-2009, 02:14 AM   #20
dallasjetfan
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
I don't know what trackbar you have, but if you don't quit smacking it with the diff cover, you stand a strong change of breaking it at the mount and you won't like what happens after that.
I have a JKS and Riddler cover. I sure wish Rokmen would have told me that they would hit.
Unread 05-03-2009, 02:22 AM   #21
mudb8
want it rite or rite now?

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I don't have a drop pitman arm. Yes, my trackbar hits the Riddler cover, but only when I hit a speed bump too fast. And this problem has been here ever since the lift and new wheels and tires so i don't think the cover is the problem. I am about to check to see if they are parallel. If they are not, then how is this corrected?
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/tj-front-adjustable-track-bars-0-3-5-does-yours-hit-fit-738948/

drop pitman correctly used...

stock pitman correctly used...

improper dpa useage...

Quote:
I think I caught a jks hint.... lol

HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars
DIY highline fenders.... 34-37's under 0"-2.5" lifts
shock length, bumpstop extension, tire size chart click here
DIY shock shifters, more uptravel/better ride

2011 E-350 4x4 Van conversion

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

ASE Certified Master Tech/Fabricator @ jeepwest.com
mudb8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2009, 02:33 AM   #22
dallasjetfan
2013 JK Wrangler 

So, should I get rid of the JKS TB or the Riddler? And could the hitting of the two caused the TB to come loose or something and would that give me some steering problems?
Unread 05-03-2009, 02:42 AM   #23
mudb8

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
So, should I get rid of the JKS TB or the Riddler? And could the hitting of the two caused the TB to come loose or something and would that give me some steering problems?

I actually like the jks bar, it's not the strongest one out there, but on some apps. it'll hit the stock cover also...

check out this thread..
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=738948

I also made a bracket which I believe will make it clear the riddler... don't have one to try it on...

HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

Unread 05-03-2009, 02:51 AM   #24
dallasjetfan
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudb8 View Post
I actually like the jks bar, it's not the strongest one out there, but on some apps. it'll hit the stock cover also...

check out this thread..

I also made a bracket which I believe will make it clear the riddler... don't have one to try it on...
OK, so what should I do at this point? Rokmen said that it shouldn't be a problem. I didn't notice it hitting on the stock TB. I don't want it to break nor do I want it to mess up how my Jeep steers. It seems that since it started hitting that I am getting more and more steering issues especially on the highway. I'm sure it could be the tires or balancing issues, but I don't think so.
Unread 05-03-2009, 08:22 AM   #25
RubiconRazorbac

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

check out this thread..

I got the JKS to go with a 2.5" lift. The guy at Rough Country said theirs (RC) will definitely hit if you disco the sway bar. After sifting through threads, the odds are about 50/50 with the JKS. With 2.5" of lift PLUS an aftermarket diff cover, the chances of the TB hitting the cover are pretty high. So far, from what I've read, your best bet to prevent contact is bump-stops. Yes, that'll limit your uptravel, but if you're putting on bigger tires you'll want to keep them out of your fenders anyway.

Again, this is just what has been reported by other folks on this forum. Personally I'm extending the bumpstops just in case... Good luck!
My build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/ru...thread-792423/
RubiconRazorbac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2009, 10:54 AM   #26
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
JKS has made the Currie bars for years and now Currie has their own. You should check it out. They bumped the tube up to 1/4" wall Chrome moly, gusseted the JJ barrel at the frame, and bumped the bolt size up to 5/8" so you can use it where an RE was.

They added some more bend to clear the Rubi 44's and HP 60's. They also coped the tube differently so it's shifted to the front edge of the JJ barrel.
Unread 05-03-2009, 12:53 PM   #27
mudb8

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
JKS has made the Currie bars for years and now Currie has their own. You should check it out. They bumped the tube up to 1/4" wall Chrome moly, gusseted the JJ barrel at the frame, and bumped the bolt size up to 5/8" so you can use it where an RE was.

They added some more bend to clear the Rubi 44's and HP 60's. They also coped the tube differently so it's shifted to the front edge of the JJ barrel.

now that's good info...
to bad jks doesn't make the track bars with the same .375 stock they use on the steering rods.

I'm attemting to shoehorn a superduty track bar in, mounted to the knuckle to go with high crossover steering, don't think I'll bend that one if I can make it work.

HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

Unread 05-05-2009, 02:15 PM   #28
dallasjetfan
2013 JK Wrangler 

OK, the trackbar is tight at both ends. I did notice that the draglink will rotate about 1/4" when twisting the steering stabilizer. Is that normal??
Unread 05-05-2009, 05:24 PM   #29
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I did notice that the draglink will rotate about 1/4" when twisting the steering stabilizer. Is that normal??
Yes, absolutely because it is attached via ball joints. If it were rigidly attached, it would break when the axle moved around.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

TJ
HOLIDAY THEMED GIVEAWAY!
Jerry Bransford is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-05-2009, 06:49 PM   #30
rondak46
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I could not solve the TB/Diff cover clearance problem so I went to 4" of lift. It worked.
rondak46 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.