Currie Control Arms Install tips - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Currie Control Arms Install tips

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 08-21-2012, 04:50 PM   #76
MJBinNM
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hold24 View Post
I'm going to keep this thread alive with a question on installing the currie upper control arms... What size drill bit do you use on installing the 7/16 bolts to the axle... Is it difficult drilling out those sleeves?
When installing the front uppers, if you aren't adding the axle housing JJ kit, you don't need to drill anything, just install with the original bolts. If you do install the JJ kit, use the greasable bolts that come with the JJ kit.

On the rear you just drill the upper axle mount holes to 7/16". You will not be drilling any sleeves. If you use a long 7/16" drill bit it makes it a lot easier. Those were the only holes I had to drill.

MJBinNM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-21-2012, 05:19 PM   #77
hold24

1978 CJ7 

but it appears the savvy control arms will not take the factory bolts and the holes appear to be a little larger....

1979 cj7 Cumberland green Golden Eagle 18k Original miles V8 auto..100% rust free Oregon Jeep..
hold24 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-21-2012, 05:21 PM   #78
brplatz
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I just did my savvy fronts, lowers we're easy. Uppers I used the greasables on the frame side without any drilling and the stock one on the axle side. Little bit of slop on the axle side but I thought I saw somewhere Blaine said it doesn't matter. Who knows

[QUOTE=mrblaine;14089403]That's like saying you wish your boyfriend was a bit less gay.[/QUOTE]

[COLOR="Blue"]MOΛΩN ΛΑΒΕ[/COLOR]
[URL="http://www.nmoffroad.com"][COLOR="DarkRed"]NMOffroad[/COLOR][/URL]
[URL="http://www.overland-motorsports.com/"][COLOR="Gray"]Overland Motorsports[/COLOR][/URL]
[COLOR="DarkSlateBlue"][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/brplatzs-tj-opv-1240947/#post13888971"]My Build[/URL][/COLOR]
brplatz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-21-2012, 05:32 PM   #79
btn
2000 TJ Wrangler 

double post
Unread 08-21-2012, 05:34 PM   #80
btn
2000 TJ Wrangler 

One thing I did was to unscrew the joint from the arm and anti-seize all of the threads before screwing it back in. That way all the threads are protected from galling and cold welding and rust, and if you have to adjust them later on, it will be much easier.
Unread 08-21-2012, 05:40 PM   #81
brplatz
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by btn View Post
One thing I did was to unscrew the joint from the arm and anti-seize all of the threads before screwing it back in. That way all the threads are protected from galling and cold welding and rust, and if you have to adjust them later on, it will be much easier.
My Savvy arms came anti-seized Go Gerald!

[QUOTE=mrblaine;14089403]That's like saying you wish your boyfriend was a bit less gay.[/QUOTE]

[COLOR="Blue"]MOΛΩN ΛΑΒΕ[/COLOR]
[URL="http://www.nmoffroad.com"][COLOR="DarkRed"]NMOffroad[/COLOR][/URL]
[URL="http://www.overland-motorsports.com/"][COLOR="Gray"]Overland Motorsports[/COLOR][/URL]
[COLOR="DarkSlateBlue"][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/brplatzs-tj-opv-1240947/#post13888971"]My Build[/URL][/COLOR]
brplatz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-21-2012, 05:52 PM   #82
tjcj
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brplatz

My Savvy arms came anti-seized Go Gerald!
Mine too
Unread 08-21-2012, 06:00 PM   #83
MJBinNM
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
but it appears the savvy control arms will not take the factory bolts and the holes appear to be a little larger....
Not sure what model you're putting them on. The holes in the arms are for a 7/16" bolt and the original bolts on my '06 are 10mm (I think). There was a little play, but if you torque them down to spec you'll be fine.

I have to admit that I only ran it that way for a few weeks until I got the axle JJ kit installed...for $160, I think it's well worth it to get JJs on all ends of all arms.
Unread 08-22-2012, 06:00 AM   #84
hold24

1978 CJ7 

Did you just pull the flanges off the factory bolts and use them....Its a 06 Rubi LJ

1979 cj7 Cumberland green Golden Eagle 18k Original miles V8 auto..100% rust free Oregon Jeep..
Unread 08-22-2012, 07:02 AM   #85
geiman
Web Wheeler
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Did you just pull the flanges off the factory bolts and use them....Its a 06 Rubi LJ
If you're also replacing the rear upper arms, use one of the bolts from the rear uppers for the front upper axle side instead of the one with the flange. That way you can tighten them up easier.

If you can't do that, I have used vice grips to clamp the flange in place while I tighten things down.
geiman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2012, 07:31 AM   #86
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by geiman View Post
If you're also replacing the rear upper arms, use one of the bolts from the rear uppers for the front upper axle side instead of the one with the flange. That way you can tighten them up easier.

If you can't do that, I have used vice grips to clamp the flange in place while I tighten things down.
The Currie bolt will work in the hole at the frame end. That leaves both OEM bolts to use at the axle end. Use the bolt from the front of the upper arm and the nut from the back of the upper arm and make one bolt for the axle side.
Unread 08-22-2012, 07:33 AM   #87
geiman
Web Wheeler
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
The Currie bolt will work in the hole at the frame end.
Completely forgot about that bolt, good point.
geiman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2012, 08:09 AM   #88
MJBinNM
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Good choice in Jeeps As others have said, just use the bolt from the other end of the uppers...
Unread 08-23-2012, 03:38 PM   #89
hold24

1978 CJ7 

Wow, I did not even think of using those.... After installing the kit my brain is misfiring a little...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.