currie control arms - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > currie control arms

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comShocktober is here! Get new shocks for your Jeep!!!!KOR Labor Week Sale and Giveaway

Unread 05-12-2014, 09:49 PM   #1
rmk8
1998 TJ Wrangler 

currie control arms

Need help hey guys has anyone had any trouble with the currie control arms threads striping out going down the road .

rmk8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2014, 11:35 PM   #2
Dave02TJ

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmk8 View Post
Need help hey guys has anyone had any trouble with the currie control arms threads striping out going down the road .
Maybe, If they didn't tighten them properly, but I have not heard of anyone complaining about it yet and god knows if it was a problem it would be all over the internet.
Dave02TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2014, 11:51 PM   #3
rmk8
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I had one strip out it was tight and there is know way for it to back out it just pulled the hym joint threads right out of the tube I have had them for 2 years and had no problem till now tried calling gerald and emailing savvy but know one got back to me and now I cant even drive it.
Unread 05-13-2014, 07:03 AM   #4
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I had one strip out it was tight and there is know way for it to back out it just pulled the hym joint threads right out of the tube I have had them for 2 years and had no problem till now tried calling gerald and emailing savvy but know one got back to me and now I cant even drive it.
If it isn't tight could it back out or loosen over time? I have the newer RC adj arms and this was a concern of mine so I the nut tack welded. I don't think the weld would keep the things in place if it were to loosen it would make it easy to tell if they came loose.

I had old tera arms and the centers got very loose. These arms were designed to twist in the middle. This is to be expected of those arms because of the poor design, but I would not expect it from Curries arms.

2001 TJ, 33 trxus MTs , W, locked, belly up, some armor.

"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time." Zig Ziglar
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2014, 07:24 AM   #5
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Was this recently you tried Gerald? He's in Mexico racing the NORRA Mexican 1000. He's been down there since I think Friday and was a bit distracted before that getting ready. Race ends Wednesday night, but then he has to get home from Cabo. He and John are doing well though. Pretty sure first in Ultra4 class after day two.

Threads stripping out is consequence number one of jam nuts coming loose.
Unread 05-13-2014, 07:32 AM   #6
rmk8
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar View Post

Was this recently you tried Gerald? He's in Mexico racing the NORRA Mexican 1000. He's been down there since I think Friday and was a bit distracted before that getting ready. Race ends Wednesday night, but then he has to get home from Cabo. He and John are doing well though. Pretty sure first in Ultra4 class after day two.

Threads stripping out is consequence number one of jam nuts coming loose.
The jam nut is still in the same spot as it was whenvit was tighted and now u cant move itu can see it has not moved
Unread 05-13-2014, 07:36 AM   #7
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
The jam nut is still in the same spot as it was whenvit was tighted and now u cant move itu can see it has not moved
Jam nut being bound up in one place doesn't guarantee anything. Rust and crud in the threads can jam it up in a "loose" position.

Doesn't really matter though. Your problem is what it is at this point. If you bought the arms from Gerald just wait till he's back from Mexico and I'm sure he'll take care of you.
Unread 05-13-2014, 07:40 AM   #8
rmk8
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Jam nut being bound up in one place doesn't guarantee anything. Rust and crud in the threads can jam it up in a "loose" position.

Doesn't really matter though. Your problem is what it is at this point. If you bought the arms from Gerald just wait till he's back from Mexico and I'm sure he'll take care of you.
Ok thanks
Unread 05-13-2014, 09:26 AM   #9
tj_john

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I was wondering why he was quiet. I placed an order on Friday and I usually hear from him very quickly. Not a big deal, as he always does right. Thanks for the heads up!
tj_john is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2014, 10:11 AM   #10
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I'm not going to say what you have going on is impossible, but highly improbable. I doubt you'll find anyone that has installed more of those arms than I have outside of Currie and what you describe isn't going to happen under any circumstances I can envision.

I typically tighten them by using a 3' cheater on the end of a large adjustable wrench and get them very tight. As much pressure as I am putting on them, if they were going to strip out, they would do it then.

What will strip them is the leave the jam nut loose and then drive it for an extended period of time. That will hammer the threads and break them loose from the inside of the tube and the whole mess will come out on the shank of the rod end.

I've also built more of that style arm in custom applications and the same is true there as well. If it's tight, it won't fail, if it's not, chances are it will.
Unread 05-13-2014, 10:54 AM   #11
rmk8
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post

I'm not going to say what you have going on is impossible, but highly improbable. I doubt you'll find anyone that has installed more of those arms than I have outside of Currie and what you describe isn't going to happen under any circumstances I can envision.

I typically tighten them by using a 3' cheater on the end of a large adjustable wrench and get them very tight. As much pressure as I am putting on them, if they were going to strip out, they would do it then.

What will strip them is the leave the jam nut loose and then drive it for an extended period of time. That will hammer the threads and break them loose from the inside of the tube and the whole mess will come out on the shank of the rod end.

I've also built more of that style arm in custom applications and the same is true there as well. If it's tight, it won't fail, if it's not, chances are it will.
Thanks for the help and info
Unread 05-13-2014, 11:26 AM   #12
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj_john View Post
I was wondering why he was quiet. I placed an order on Friday and I usually hear from him very quickly. Not a big deal, as he always does right. Thanks for the heads up!
No problem. And he had EJS right before this, oh and TDS right before that, oh and KOH right before that, oh and Dave Cole told me Gerald took him to Thailand somewhere in there also, etc., etc. While I'm sure he gets tired of all of us harassing him, there are some benefits to being Gerald Lee.
Unread 05-13-2014, 06:34 PM   #13
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Nope...
Unread 05-13-2014, 11:35 PM   #14
Robert J. yates
1998 TJ Wrangler 

With an answer like that it's no wonder you are running up on 15,000 posts.

OP..... Jam nuts need to be tight such as Blaine says.
Robert J. yates is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.