Currie control arms - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Currie control arms

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 05-18-2010, 04:39 PM   #1
bhall687
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Currie control arms

I have a quick question, do you have to do any welding to get the currie control arms on. I thought that you would not, but was reading another thread and was confused as it looked like he had to.

bhall687 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2010, 04:43 PM   #2
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

No. Unbolt old, bolt up new.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2010, 06:16 PM   #3
AZJeepNewbie
2005 TJ Wrangler 

There is an optional welding step. Bolting Currie arms on with no welding replaces 14 of your 16 rubber control arm bushings with Johnny Joints. The remaining two rubber joints are upper control arm bushings that are attached to your axle. In order to replace those last two bushings, you use this optional kit which does require welding on the passenger side. Currie Enterprises CJ Axle Parts

"Confidence is that feeling you have before you fully understand the situation."
AZJeepNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2010, 06:24 PM   #4
lumpster
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

you will have to drill out the upper bolt holes on the jeep frame, its pretty easy, you arent making the hole much bigger, some people dont have to drill but i did.
lumpster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2010, 06:58 PM   #5
GMC7000
1997 TJ Wrangler 

If I use these control arms will I be able to climb rocks that I can not climb now?
GMC7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2010, 07:13 PM   #6
TJdualsport
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMC7000 View Post
If I use these control arms will I be able to climb rocks that I can not climb now?
lol nope just leave your wallet that much thinner
TJdualsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2010, 10:46 AM   #7
bhall687
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZJeepNewbie View Post
There is an optional welding step. Bolting Currie arms on with no welding replaces 14 of your 16 rubber control arm bushings with Johnny Joints. The remaining two rubber joints are upper control arm bushings that are attached to your axle. In order to replace those last two bushings, you use this optional kit which does require welding on the passenger side. Currie Enterprises CJ Axle Parts
Thanks AZ, I actually beleive that I saw it on your build page now that I see your name.
Unread 05-19-2010, 11:04 AM   #8
AZJeepNewbie
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhall687 View Post
Thanks AZ, I actually beleive that I saw it on your build page now that I see your name.
Yeah, I figured as much. I know some folks go without the housing JJ kit for a while, then eventually end up adding it. So I figured I'd just do it all at once while the patient was open on the table. It's real easy to get to when she's stripped down like that.

"Confidence is that feeling you have before you fully understand the situation."
Unread 05-19-2010, 11:28 AM   #9
bhall687
2005 LJ Wrangler 

AZ,
Do you think that I should go with this type of lift if I will be driving it as a DD and doing some decent wheeling. I live in CO so everything is rugged as ****.
Unread 05-19-2010, 11:43 AM   #10
AZJeepNewbie
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Well, that's my plan as well, including a decent amount expedition type of wheeling where I go hundreds of miles on rough roads as fast as I can. I'm came very close to going with a long arm kit and paying somebody to install it. However, I managed to get a ride in one and it was no panacea either. From all that I hear, a SA kit can be made to give a decent ride on rough terrain if it's set up right. So I decided to give the SA setup the best shot I can and do it right from the get go.

So if it doesn't work out, then I'm going to be disappointed. However, like I've said before, 2 years worth of participating in web forums and talking to some extremely knowledgeable people are telling me this will be an excellent set up for what I want to do. So stick around. I'm sure we'll both be very interested in how it turns out.

Unread 05-19-2010, 11:47 AM   #11
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhall687 View Post
I live in CO so everything is rugged as ****.
I went with Rokmen arms. Rokmen is based in Denver

Rokmen Gear Up....Rok On
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2010, 12:32 PM   #12
AZJeepNewbie
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post
I went with Rokmen arms.
Did you go with the JJ on both ends, or JJ/Clevite combination? Also, is it the case that Rokmen doesn't have front axle housing solution?

I'm not knocking Rokmen, because I know they make good stuff. But I do like that Currie builds an entire system so I know everything is going to play together.

Tags
control arm , currie

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.