Currie Connectlync vs V8 ZJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Currie Connectlync vs V8 ZJ

CurrieSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 01-30-2014, 08:28 AM   #1
Tonellin
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Currie Connectlync vs V8 ZJ

I currently have the V8 ZJ tie rod upgrade and it has done well by me especially for the price. However, I have the opportunity to buy a used currie connectlync setup that has been run for a couple of years and a few thousand miles from someone.

I know the currie is 1 1/4" and I'm pretty sure the ZJ is 1", but is buying a used currie system that significant of an upgrade (excluding drag link which obviously is an upgrade over stock...)

I'm sure I wouldn't regret getting the currie system, but the steering I have now is tight, responsive, and I'd say adequate for my 33's and how I wheel. I've got the tummy tuck coming up this spring so 35's aren't in the immediate future.

Unread 01-30-2014, 08:44 AM   #2
jeepinhokie
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

i was in the same exact boat as you with one difference. i kept bending my ZJ tie rod on my 33's.

The used Currie steering i bought needed to be fixed up before i could run it. I ended up buying all new TRE's for it and a new Drag link. So the only thing i was actually able to re-use was the tie rod itself and the adjuster sleeve. saved me some money but was more work in the long run.

depending on how badly the currie unit was used it might not need the extra work mine did. guess it depends on how comfortable you are with possibly spending more time under the jeep taking the steering in and out to replace piece parts.

how much did you pick the used setup for?

A Hokie build

check out my jeepin videos!
jeepinhokie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2014, 08:46 AM   #3
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

There is no comparison between the two. If you have the currie, put it on.
'87 MJ Comanche Chief - found in a field, now yard art
dayriesw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2014, 08:59 AM   #4
Tonellin
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinhokie View Post
i was in the same exact boat as you with one difference. i kept bending my ZJ tie rod on my 33's.

The used Currie steering i bought needed to be fixed up before i could run it. I ended up buying all new TRE's for it and a new Drag link. So the only thing i was actually able to re-use was the tie rod itself and the adjuster sleeve. saved me some money but was more work in the long run.

depending on how badly the currie unit was used it might not need the extra work mine did. guess it depends on how comfortable you are with possibly spending more time under the jeep taking the steering in and out to replace piece parts.

how much did you pick the used setup for?

Sorry for the confusion I just edited the first sentence. I have the opportunity to buy linkage, if I had it already I would definitely put it on!

I'm unsure about the condition, but even if a rod end or two need to be replaced that's $130+ right there. I'm guessing I could get the few year old used set up for sub 300?
Unread 01-30-2014, 09:08 AM   #5
LukeADukes
2001 TJ Wrangler 

If it's been on there for a couple of years I wouldn't go above $200 or just wait and buy it new. It's still used
Unread 01-30-2014, 09:21 AM   #6
ctorres018
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I picked up used currie steering and a track bar for 260$ it was worth it even used.
Unread 01-30-2014, 10:19 AM   #7
Tonellin
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Thanks guys - I think you've echoed what I already believed. If I can get the used at a good price without having to replace any parts its a smart move. If it needs too much work for the price it's either better off keeping the ZJ upgrade until 35's or looking for a good price on a new currie setup
Unread 01-30-2014, 10:34 AM   #8
Gary2
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Currie eas on my last TJ a 99 when I bought it and it was one part of the TJ I never gave a second thought to . It was great then and is still going strong almost 10 years later. Not to many ZJ TRE's last that long. My present TJ I thought I would keep smaller like 3" suspension , BL and limit myself to 33s . I thought maybe I could just get away with the ZJ TR and save money but when you buy a new Currie 8 months latter it was not such a savings after all. If your TJ is tall enough their isn't a better bolt on set up . Do it and know you have as good as it gets in this style steering .
Gary2 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2014, 10:37 AM   #9
Gary2
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Currie was on my last TJ a 99 when I bought it and it was one part of the TJ I never gave a second thought to . It was great then and is still going strong almost 10 years later. Not to many ZJ TRE's last that long. My present TJ I thought I would keep smaller like 3" suspension , BL and limit myself to 33s . I thought maybe I could just get away with the ZJ TR and save money but when you buy a new Currie 8 months latter it was not such a savings after all. If your TJ is tall enough their isn't a better bolt on set up . Do it and know you have as good as it gets in this style steering . It will help later when or if the day comes you sell the Jeep . Anyone who sees it is will be pretty sure you did things the right way on the things you can see.
Gary2 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2014, 03:51 PM   #10
A4LiterV8eater
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I used to run a V8 ZJ and loved it. I hit it a ton and tweaked it many times. Every once in awhile I would take it back off and beat it back into shape with a sledge. Thats one of the advantages of solid versus hollow.
A4LiterV8eater is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2014, 03:53 PM   #11
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

The ZJ steering bends with 33s, go with Currie. If you actually wheel, go with Currie.
WhiteOut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-31-2014, 09:43 AM   #12
1997 TJ Wrangler 

You should do the TRE flip while your at it... get the tie rod above the axle tube. You can order the needed parts through Blaine.
treflip.jpg  
141 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-31-2014, 09:53 AM   #13
Tonellin
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Very good idea, it would be nice to raise the tie rod even more when I upgrade. I just found the bracket on blaine's site...thanks.

Haven't had a chance to get ahold of the guy yet...
Unread 01-31-2014, 09:58 AM   #14
1997 TJ Wrangler 

One of the cheapest and best mods for sure. The Currie rod can take some serious abuse, but why not get it out of harms way if you can...right?
141 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-31-2014, 10:10 AM   #15
jeepinhokie
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 141 View Post
You should do the TRE flip while your at it... get the tie rod above the axle tube. You can order the needed parts through Blaine.
agreed!

make sure your wheels have the proper backspacing before you proceed. I beieve 4.25" is the smallest that will work with a 15" wheel. i have 4" BS wheels and its tight.

also need to move your sway bar mounts...

A Hokie build

check out my jeepin videos!
jeepinhokie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.