Currie arms popping, is this normal for Johnny Joints? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Currie arms popping, is this normal for Johnny Joints?

Attention to the TJ owners 1996-2006 NEW LED LIGHT OPTIONSOPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 07-11-2010, 09:12 PM   #1
vetdezracer
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Currie arms popping, is this normal for Johnny Joints?

I installed a complete set of Currie arms about 3-4K miles ago and they are now popping when flexed. When I take off from a stop I get a 4 or 5 “Klink” sounds. It’s been happening for the past month, getting progressively more noticeable. I had my son jack up one side of the axle and looked to see what was going on. The joints in the lower front arms are not moving freely, rather building up tension and then letting go in a pop or Klink sound. I greased them on install and re-greased them today, but it didn’t help. Is this normal?

vetdezracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2010, 09:17 PM   #2
Unlimited04
Read tech links in my sig

2004 LJ Wrangler 

mine are quiet....did you run them though the range of motion as you greased them?
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2010, 09:25 PM   #3
vetdezracer
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Good idea, but no I just greased them with the Jeep level. I did drive it after and did a bunch of right to left turns to move things around though.

Back to the garage to jack, flex and re-grease. Hopefully it will work, I really don't want to pull the arms out to service them.
Unread 07-11-2010, 09:28 PM   #4
MisfitSeven
MAIL Crawler.

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post
did you run them though the range of motion as you greased them?
elaborate or instructions, please? this might help me with my RC X-flex arms, some wont even take grease.
Unread 07-11-2010, 09:29 PM   #5
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisfitSeven View Post
elaborate or instructions, please? this might help me with my RC X-flex arms, some wont even take grease.
1. Load grease gun with grease.
2. Put grease gun fitting on grease zerk of arm.
3. Rotate arm joint with spherical center ball fixed in place.
4. Squirt grease into joint until it pushes out someplace else.
5. Repeat 3-4 as necessary.
Unread 07-11-2010, 09:30 PM   #6
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

That's odd. I've never heard a peep from any of my joints. Due to the JJ's design, there definitely should be no noises.

And unlimited, that's easier said that done. As I'm sure you know, the joints are tighter than a virgin. Very, very difficult to move the arm around the joint.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2010, 09:34 PM   #7
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
And unlimited, that's easier said that done. As I'm sure you know, the joints are tighter than a virgin. Very, very difficult to move the arm around the joint.
I tried it with a vice, but the center ball just spun inside the vice, no matter how tight I tried to hold it. I doubt other joints are that tight, especially the RC he's got.

to get the Currie's, I mounted them and went wheeling with a grease gun + rag, and just squirted them full at full droop and full compression in a poser pic position. I hit them every few weeks now...they're quiet as can be.
Unread 07-11-2010, 09:37 PM   #8
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post
I doubt other joints are that tight, especially the RC he's got.
I can assure you the RC and Rustys joints are not. You can grab the ball and rotate it with little force.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2010, 09:50 PM   #9
vetdezracer
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Okay update on my Currie joints.

First mine are tight, almost impossible to rotate on the jeep. I removed one front tire, lowered it all the way and greased in intervals all the way up including stacking two 4x4 on the floor jack. Then cycled it up and down a good 10 times to work things in and unfortunately no luck. These things are binding and popping like party favors.
Unread 07-11-2010, 09:53 PM   #10
mrblaine
Web Wheeler

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vetdezracer View Post
I installed a complete set of Currie arms about 3-4K miles ago and they are now popping when flexed. When I take off from a stop I get a 4 or 5 “Klink” sounds. It’s been happening for the past month, getting progressively more noticeable. I had my son jack up one side of the axle and looked to see what was going on. The joints in the lower front arms are not moving freely, rather building up tension and then letting go in a pop or Klink sound. I greased them on install and re-greased them today, but it didn’t help. Is this normal?
Only grease them through the greaseable bolts if possible. You will likely need to take them apart and clean the bolts out so grease will pump through them and while they are apart, give the ball and race a good coating of grease before you reassemble them.
Unread 07-11-2010, 10:05 PM   #11
vetdezracer
2003 TJ Wrangler 

[QUOTE=mrblaine;9772473]Only grease them through the greaseable bolts if possible. You will likely need to take them apart and clean the bolts out so grease will pump through them and while they are apart, give the ball and race a good coating of grease before you reassemble them.[/QUOT

Does this require special tools, I see Currie sells one for $79 but I'm hoping this can be done without that. Also does anybody know if Currie warranties their stuff. These don't even have 5k miles on them.
Unread 07-11-2010, 10:09 PM   #12
KKiowaTJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Well if they wont take grease. Take them apart and clean, Lube and reassemble. Dont try and pump grease if it wont go easy, Could possibly ruin the joint, For other parts as well. Good luck
Unread 07-11-2010, 10:12 PM   #13
vetdezracer
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKiowaTJ View Post
Well if they wont take grease. Take them apart and clean, Lube and reassemble. Dont try and pump grease if it wont go easy, Could possibly ruin the joint, For other parts as well. Good luck
How hard are these things to take apart? Has anybody on the board done this? Any tips would be appreciated.
Unread 07-11-2010, 11:01 PM   #14
mrblaine
Web Wheeler

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vetdezracer View Post
How hard are these things to take apart? Has anybody on the board done this? Any tips would be appreciated.
I frequently use a shop press and a couple of sockets to disassemble the ones I work on. There is also a way to do it with some all thread rod, a couple of nuts, and some sockets. And, you will need a good pair of snap ring pliers.
Unread 07-12-2010, 06:33 AM   #15
RubiconRazorbac
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

If they pop when under load, check the jam nuts. I had one doing this right after the install. It wasn't the JJ, I had a loose jam nut.
My build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/ru...thread-792423/
RubiconRazorbac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
currie , control arm

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.