Currie Anti-Rock or discos on stock TJ? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Currie Anti-Rock or discos on stock TJ?

Jeep Gear & Install Packages!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Poison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955

Unread 09-12-2005, 12:43 PM   #16
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

It'd be an easy and inexpensive process to go buy 2' of 1/2x20 threaded rod and cut it to the correct length so an Antirock could be installed on an unlifted (or minimal lift) vehicle. Probably cost all of $3.00.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-12-2005, 01:32 PM   #17
TJVigilante
Web Wheeler

Bah, save yourself alot of money and get a set of budget discos, and get the anti-rock, swaylok or the other disconnects later after you lift the rig, so you don't have to buy a whole new set. 10 bucks and you're golden, and it's just as fast as any 150 dollar disconnect set you can find.
TJVigilante is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-12-2005, 08:16 PM   #18
lupinsea
2001 TJ Wrangler 

The Anti-rock end link trick: custom machined center links.

When I ordered the Anti-rock I was a little hesitant about it but was assured by Jason at Redrock4x4 that it was a great piece of equipment. I'm glad I followed his advice because I absolutely love this piece of engineering. Sure, the Swayloc is tops but I'd mark this up right behind it. The only problem with the design is that Currie set it up for 4" lifted rigs and there's not enough adjustment for shorter TJs. To get it to fit requires some creativity.

Since I was installing the Anti-rock on a 2" lifted Tj I needed to shorten the threaded rods for the end links. Unfortunately Currie supplies rods for a 4" lifted Jeep and simply cutting them down to size wouldn't work. Here's the reason:

End links too close on a 2" BB lifted TJ

The rods supplied by Curried are only partially threaded. And to make the rods fit a 2" lifted TJ (and stock for that matter) you'd need to run the threads all the way to the center of the rod so they meet in the middle. Sounds simple enough, either get new threaded rod or use a die and thread it yourself.

Not so fast. There are left hand threads and right hand threads on the supplied rods. This makes it great for adjusting the link post-installation but a PITA if you want to add more threads. And I don't know of any all-thread rod that comes with half way threaded with both directions. But wait, there's more.

The end link rods have ROLLED threads . . . not cut threads. With rolled threads a rod of slightly smaller diameter is placed in a machine which has roller teeth that push the metal UP into the shape of the threads. So where you don't have any threads the rod necks down. In other words, you can't simply cut more threads into the rod with a die . . . there wouldn't be sufficient thread engagement.

What to do? Custom machined end link rods.

Note custom machined link/bolt on top

When I talked to a machine shop they gave me this suggestion for reducing the machining costs. Go to a fastener store and get a bolt that's long enough with a thick shaft and cut threads at the end in propper pitch and diameter. Have the machine shop cut the nead off the bolt and then they have enough material to cut the left hand threads into the thick end of the bolt shaft. Some guys at a local machine shop did this for me at the tune of $25 per bolt (x 2) at the very last minute on the Friday right before I was heading out on a 3 day wheel'n trip on the other side of the state.

With the machined bolts/links in place the fit and alignment was great.

New endlinks installed

Sure, it was a bigger job to get the Anti-rock setup on my Tj than I figured but after it's all said and done I'm really glad I made this mod. As others have mentioned and as the warning states there is more body roll on-road. But it's not bad. The critical moment is the transition from going strait to entering a turn. Since the Anti-rock is a softer swaybar it takes a little extra lean until it starts really resisting the body roll. And until the TJ takes a set in the corner it may feel a little disconcerting to some in this momentary transition state.

By starting to turn in a little sooner and being smooth with the steering wheel you can all but negate the extra body roll. The idea is to gradually load up the Anti-rock rather than hit it all at once with a sharp turn. With this new driving technique I can confidently take corners 10-15 mph above the speed limit. Not that I do regularly but during some testing and some moment of hurry I have.

Around town the Anti-rock feels just fine. And on the highway I have no worries with the TJ cruizing at 80 mph. Back mountain roads are a-ok at the speed limit or even 5-10 mph over. Again, not that I'd recommend it but I've done it out of curiosity.

However, off-road is where this beastie really shines. You only give up 4% of potential flex but what you get in return is well worth it. The TJ body feels much more controlled and the pitch/roll very well balanced between the front and rear axles. And because of that balance, the Anti-rock help improve traction by equalizing the weight on the tires. Side-hill driving is also much aided by having a swaybar hooked up as opposed to being disco'd.

If you, or anyone else, wants more info on the installation of this device on a not-so-lifted Tj I have a a full write-up on my website here. In the end I'd fully recommend this, even to a stock Tj. Just be aware of what you're getting into. And keep the supplied rods from Currie if/when you want to go up later.

Unread 09-12-2005, 09:26 PM   #19
Dirty Backroads
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Some very interesting and informative replies here. I really appreciate them all.

I've decided to go with a set of JKS Quicker Discos for now. Since my Jeep is driven mostly onroad I'm going to make onroad handling the priority right now and go with the discos to preserve the stock handling onroad while still getting some benefits offroad. While I'm new to Jeeps, I've modded other types of cars before and my experience is that it's better to take it slow and be cautious so I'm going to go that route. Perhaps I can get a ride in an AR-equipped TJ and see for myself how it handles both on and offroad.

I think the JKS Discos will definitely help on the trail and are a fairly small investment right now that have little downside. Once I get a feel for things and decide what it is I want to do with my rig regarding lift and tires I'll see about Anti Rock or Swayloc. In the meantime I am going to research some sort of air source for airing up as that's a good idea regardless of what I'm doing with the swaybar.

Yellow Jeep Club Member #123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper111
Nothing like going topless with some Kid Rock blasting looking down on the rice boys with their dropped Civics wondering what Japanese steel would look like under the Mickey Thompsons.
Dirty Backroads is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-12-2005, 10:54 PM   #20
DLoweinc

great post lupinsea, very informative and I am sure it will help many people.
Unread 07-07-2009, 07:01 PM   #21
VanBCguy
Web Wheeler

1999 WJ 

Thanks!

Many thanks on a superb write-up! And your pics helped a lot too. I currently have a 03 TJ w/ no lift but am planning on going with a Skyjacker 4" soon. I want to stay with my 31.5" tires as I have 2 almost new sets of tires. One set of Goodyear Silent Armors and one set of BFG M/T's. When these two sets get used and old I'll look into going to a good set of 35's on new Crager soft 8's.

Anyhoo...one of the mods I was planning was a Currie Antirock and you've basically given me all the info. I've been looking for. In so many respects, you and I are the same in what we want from our Jeeps and what our future plans for it are.

Thanks lupinsea!
VanBCguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-07-2009, 07:01 PM   #22
VanBCguy
Web Wheeler

1999 WJ 

Thanks lupinsea!

Many thanks on a superb write-up! And your pics helped a lot too. I currently have a 03 TJ w/ no lift but am planning on going with a Skyjacker 4" soon. I want to stay with my 31.5" tires as I have 2 almost new sets of tires. One set of Goodyear Silent Armors and one set of BFG M/T's. When these two sets get used and old I'll look into going to a good set of 35's on new Crager soft 8's.

Anyhoo...one of the mods I was planning was a Currie Antirock and you've basically given me all the info. I've been looking for. In so many respects, you and I are the same in what we want from our Jeeps and what our future plans for it are.

Thanks lupinsea!
VanBCguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-07-2009, 09:06 PM   #23
lupinsea
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Wow. Old thread.

Thanks for the thanks.

One thing to note is that I've moved on from the Anti-rock to the SwayLOC and am MUCH happier. The Anti-rock did all it was supposed to and performs great offroad. But I like the dual-rate SwayLOC much better as it provides SIGNIFICANTLY better on-road control yet gives you the same offroad control as the Anti-rock. . . and all with the flip of a lever.

So before you pull the trigger on the Anti-rock, look into a true dual-rate swaybar. The SwayLOC is a great one. But if I were in your shoes now, I'd check to see when Saavy Offroad is coming out with their dual rate swaybar as the original inventor and developer of the idea is part owner of Saavy. Should be cool to see what they'll do, especially after their awesome aluminum gas tank skid.

Bottom line:

Anti-rock = great for a trail only rig

SwayLOC / Dual Rate Swaybar = great for a DD or street driven trail machine where you ALSO want on-road stability.
Unread 07-07-2009, 09:16 PM   #24
rubicon20032003

I ran a antirock on a 3 inch.i just bought grade 8 alltread to replace links.Worked great no problem
rubicon20032003 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.