Currie Anti-Rock or discos on stock TJ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Currie Anti-Rock or discos on stock TJ?

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 09-11-2005, 10:56 PM   #1
Dirty Backroads
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Currie Anti-Rock or discos on stock TJ?

Sorry for the length of the post here...

I've been trying to decide what sort of stuff I want to stick on my 2005 TJ Sport. I have a whole bunch of skids going on to protect it. Now I want to plant the tires better so I've been inquiring about discos, specifically the JKS Quick Disconnects.

What was actually recommended to me was the Currie Anti-Rock. The idea of a set up that didn't require any hassles with disconnecting/connecting and actually improved off-road traction over the standard "disco" set up is intriguing, however the words "Beware that body roll will increase on-road over stock sway bars." is something that makes me pause.

I've done a complete search here and on other forums and basically I've heard over and over again that the Anti-Rock is far superior to disco'ing off road but on road there's a definite change for the worse with regards to body roll on turns and high speed stability.

I don't drive my Jeep like a sports car but I do like the way it rides and handles on the street in stock form. One reason I'm posting now is that right now my Jeep is indeed STOCK and will probably remain that way for the foreseeable future. I don't plan to change the tires or lift it anytime soon. I'd like to develop my skills while wheeling it in stock form first. I plan to wheel it on average about once a month...A bit more in the warmer months and less during the winter. For the most part it is a street Jeep that I use as a second family car and take on road trips. Many of those road trips are through mountainous terrain with curvy roads and definitely involve driving long distances on the interstate.

I guess I'm most concerned about a huge change in handling on-road. I really don't want my TJ to ride like the Queen Mary. Some say that even on the stiffest setting the Anti-Rock will make it ride like an "old CJ on bad springs" (to quote one person ). Others say it's no big deal and easily gotten used to. So now I'm completely confused.

What I am wondering is if this body roll will be as pronounced and noticeable on a stock height TJ as it would on a lifted one. All the comments about increased body roll with the AR seemed to come from those with lifted Jeeps. Is this the case with a stock height Jeep? Is it advisable to even put the Anti-Rock on a stock Jeep?

Another thing I'm wondering is whether or not the Anti-Rock is overkill for a stock height Jeep. Will it's benefits be realized without lifting it? Is it a waste of money to do this without any lift?

Basically I'm looking at a few options: I can get the AR and hope that on-road ride won't be too badly degraded and hopefully get my money's worth off road.

For the amount and type of wheeling I do it may be OK to just install the JKS Quick Discos and retain my stock ride on-road but get some improvement on the trail. Later on when I have a more aggressive set up and onboard air supply (and more cash!) I can invest in the Swayloc, which would give me stock handling on-road and Anti-Rock handling offroad.

Unfortunately the budget won't support an onboard airsupply and Swayloc at this time. I can afford the Currie Anti-Rock but I'm really having some concerns about the handling on the street. I'm also wondering if it's overkill for a stock TJ. It would be a shame to spend the money and degrade my handling but notice little difference or advantage over a standard disco for the type of wheeling I do (still a beginner!).

If I do go with the discos, which should I go with? Seems JKS are the ones to get although the Teraflex discos have been mentioned as well. Which is preferable? No, I don't want to make my own. I have no problem spending the $100+ for a quality set of discos.

I'd really love some thoughts and input on this one before I empty the piggy bank. TIA.

Yellow Jeep Club Member #123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper111
Nothing like going topless with some Kid Rock blasting looking down on the rice boys with their dropped Civics wondering what Japanese steel would look like under the Mickey Thompsons.

Last edited by Dirty Backroads; 09-11-2005 at 11:07 PM..
Dirty Backroads is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2005, 11:02 PM   #2
Stu Olson
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

For a stock vehicle, I would opt for disconnects until you decide what you plan to do down the road a bit. As to the brand, either one works well. I ran the Tera discos some time ago (pre-AntiRock and SwayLOC) and they served me well.
Stu Olson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2005, 11:39 PM   #3
TJVigilante
Web Wheeler

I've been running my Jeep on the road disco'd since yesterday afternoon, just took a trip to a club meeting tonight, pretty uneventful. Body roll is noticeable, but on a stock TJ, especially with my wider offset wheels, it's not enough to tip and roll the rig if you don't drive like a maniac. In fact, the ride was alot smoother after the disconnection than before. Bumps are still noticeable of course but they're less jarring because they only effect one wheel at a time aside for the transfer through the axle. It's no independent suspension, but it's comfortable.

I was thinking of getting the Currie myself after my trail run just for the convienience of not having to climb under the rig, remove the pins(got the budget discos) and tie the end links up out of the way.
TJVigilante is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2005, 11:47 PM   #4
RedSyphon

I have the JKS Disco's atm (very happy with them) on a TJ w/ 3" lift...

I am also interested in any opinions ppl have about the Currie Anti-Sway bar as far as street performance goes.... I would love to not have to mess with disco's on the trail if I didn't have too.

--Inserting my opinion though:
For a stock jeep I would think that the anti-sway bar would effect the "body roll" less than a lifted one...

At stock height you have a better center of gravity. If the currie setup only effected the jeep to the extent say putting 3" of lift on it would then I'd go for it if you'r a frequent offroader. However if you don't offroad alot I would say put the money to better use like fixing dents from arguments you'r bound to have with various trees, rocks, ditches, & other objects when you do go off-road

I can confirm (for me at least) that while I can't turn the jeep like I used to be able to I am still hard pressed to get her to the point where I'm concerned about rolling after adding the extra height (this is with the disco's connected of course).
Unread 09-12-2005, 12:07 AM   #5
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSyphon
I am also interested in any opinions ppl have about the Currie Anti-Sway bar as far as street performance goes.... I would love to not have to mess with disco's on the trail if I didn't have too.
An excellent product that is superb offroad and works well enough for a daily driver TJ as mine is. There is a bit more body roll but nothing dramatic and certainly nothing to prevent anyone from enjoying the benefits of an Antirock. Go for it.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2005, 05:58 AM   #6
Dirty Backroads
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSyphon
For a stock jeep I would think that the anti-sway bar would effect the "body roll" less than a lifted one...At stock height you have a better center of gravity
That's what I'm thinking. With the Anti-Rock, would you feel the body roll less on a stock deep due to the lower center of gravity. I'm also wondering if there is any real benefit to the AR on a stock Jeep without any lift. Does anyone put it on a stock DD?

Quote:
If the currie setup only effected the jeep to the extent say putting 3" of lift on it would then I'd go for it if you'r a frequent offroader. However if you don't offroad alot I would say put the money to better use like fixing dents from arguments you'r bound to have with various trees, rocks, ditches, & other objects when you do go off-road
I'd probably wheel about once a month. Maybe twice. Mostly I drive on the street and I'm really concerned about degrading it's handling on the street.

The money isn't a problem. The AR is around $300 and the JKS discos are about $125-150. I can easily spend the extra money over the JKS disco. It's the ride I'm most worried about with the AR. I guess I could always put it on and if I hate it, sell it, but that's a real waste of money and time.

Quote:
Nothing like going topless with some Kid Rock blasting looking down on the rice boys with their dropped Civics wondering what Japanese steel would look like under the Mickey Thompsons.
Unread 09-12-2005, 06:05 AM   #7
Dirty Backroads
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Plus, with the AR, do you keep that swaybar cover on the front bumper? Just curious.

Quote:
Unread 09-12-2005, 06:38 AM   #8
igofshn
Locked @ both ends

The antirock is not designed for stock Jeeps. It even says that in the instructions.

[Jeep Pics
igofshn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2005, 08:10 AM   #9
Jerry Bransford

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Backroads
Plus, with the AR, do you keep that swaybar cover on the front bumper? Just curious.
You can put the cover back on but the factory swaybar that is underneath is removed completely.

Unread 09-12-2005, 08:21 AM   #10
crgrissom
Master of Reality

2003 TJ Wrangler 

I don't see why it wouldn't work for a stock jeep, as long as you shortened the links approriately (probably by buying new threaded rod and cutting it down to the right length.) I'm pretty sure the Currie rods cannot be made short enough, and that is probably why they say that.

As far as the on-road performance of the Antirock, I was also a little worried about that, and when I took it for a test drive I was able to induce a little more body roll (I have the Antirock in the middle hole) by cornering a little fast and steering back and forth some (in a safe area, don't worry..) But, it was really not terribly noticable, and now after a couple of weeks I don't even notice any differences anymore. I do not drive it like a sports car (and I have had sports cars) but I am moderately aggressive, and it is really working fine for me. I am very glad I went with the Antirock.

That said, of course the Swayloc is the trick setup, because it is a dual-rate swaybar. A stiff setting for on-road, and a softer setting (like the Antirock) for off-road.

For me, the Antirock was a better deal and I am very happy with it.

Chuck

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
- Thomas A. Edison
crgrissom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2005, 08:33 AM   #11
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Backroads

Unfortunately the budget won't support an onboard airsupply and Swayloc at this time. I can afford the Currie Anti-Rock but I'm really having some concerns about the handling on the street. I'm also wondering if it's overkill for a stock TJ. It would be a shame to spend the money and degrade my handling but notice little difference or advantage over a standard disco for the type of wheeling I do (still a beginner!).

I'd really love some thoughts and input on this one before I empty the piggy bank. TIA.

Before I gave up on the SwayLoc, I'd do some research on cheap air sources. You need a source of compressed gas for airing up and personally I'd set that priority above all others. I don't care whether it's an engine driven compressor or one of the 25 dollar compressors that are available now, but the ability to get yourself home in the event of a ripped sidewall is priceless. Budget a Safety Seal kit as well and learn how to use it correctly.
mrblaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2005, 09:21 AM   #12
Jerry Bransford

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine
Budget a Safety Seal kit as well and learn how to use it correctly.
I'm surprised how often I use my Safety Seal kit. It seems between my three cars and Jeep, one of them is always picking up a nail or screw in a tire. So the Safety Seal (a very high quality tire plugging kit) is not just for offroad use, it's handy for street vehicles too.

Unread 09-12-2005, 11:34 AM   #13
jeephreak

The anti-rock won't fit on a stock jeep. You are better off just getting disconnects if you are staying low. Its better than running the stock sway bar.

The Anti-rock and its links are too big for a jeep that isnt lifted, even if you try and shorten the links all the way down - you'll either have to cut them, or get new threaded rods.

I ran this weekend (rock crawling) and was the only person who was running a sway bar (everyone else was disco'd). I could run everything they did no problem, I just didnt get the flex pics that they got.

Not sure that it would really benefit a stock jeep all that much.

MY RIG

r.i.p. Cap'n Crunch
jeephreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2005, 12:21 PM   #14
UnLTDRubicon
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I have read several articles about the Anti-Rock, but I haven't seen any mention of not being compatible with a non-lifted Jeep. How much lift does it say is required for it's use?
UnLTDRubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2005, 12:38 PM   #15
jeephreak

I havent personally read anything that stated it needed to be applied to a certain amount of lift, however, I know from my own experience that it will not jive with a 1" MML and a 1" BL. (The parts were delivered in this order, so I wanted to get them on before I did the lift to cut down on wrenching time).

I had issued with fitting the arms as well as the links under the stock setup. I know it works with a 2" BB, but I think some adjustments (cutting) to the links need to be made.

MY RIG

r.i.p. Cap'n Crunch
jeephreak is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.